Anyone want Jerusalem Artichokes?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by JAS, May 10, 2006.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I have about 15 pounds of Jerusalem Artichokes for sale on the Barter Board. I would like $3 a pound plus shipping. I just got done digging them up and hope to get most out in the mail tomorrow. They are starting to sprout but should be fine to transplant--hard to kill.

If interested pm or email me with your zip code and I can figure out the shipping. Thanks.

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a couple or three questions for you, JAS: How many are in a pound? How far apart do you plant?

Okay, it was only two questions. I'll think of the other one later. :)

I'll pm you my zip.

THANKS!
    Pony!

3. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Hi Pony

They are a lot like potatoes, though the plant itself is actually a sunflower. They get very tall, about 10-12 feet tall. A pound could be three or four large or could be 20-25 small ones... A plant will grow from just a small chunk. We dug up everything we saw from planting one pound from Schumways. That next spring we tilled the area twice. I just dug up about 30 pounds from what was left and grew from pieces we missed.

You can cut a piece into smaller pieces, like a potato. They have areas similar to eyes that will grow into a plant.

They probably can be planted closer than potatoes, I am thinking 4" to 12" apart, depending on your area and use.

I plan on planting a bunch where we keep our feeder pigs, for feed and entertainment :) . I have also heard of planting them in a chicken yard for shade, if nothing else works, plus the chickens do like the roots. The tops can be used for livestock feed, anything that likes sunflower plants will like these. My goats enjoyed them last fall.

4. Pony

I planted some up at our soon-to-be ex-farm. Never did get a chance to harvest them, and don't intend to ever go up there again (even though it's not yet sold) because it's just too painful.

So, yes, please, I would like a pound of them. I have lots less space down here, and I know that they are supposed to be quite prolific, and I want to start small.

I'll pm you. :)

THANKS AGAIN!

Pony!

5. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

not prolific enough for my appetite of them i just had them for dinner tonight mmm mmm

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I found a wine recipe for Jerusalem Artichokes. Don't suppose anyone has tried it? If so, how was it. I don't think I will try it with these tubers since they are sprouting, but this fall....

The recipe said it " makes a pretty darned good wine." Here it is if anyone wants to try it :cool:

JERUSALEM ARTICHOKE WINE

5-6 lbs Jerusalem artichoke tubers
    2 lbs dark or light brown sugar
    2 lemons
    2 oranges
    1/2 oz ginger root
    1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
    water to one gallon
    1 tsp yeast nutrient
    wine yeast

Scrub Jerusalem artichoke tubers, do not peel. Boil tubers in about 7 pints of water until tender. Remove the Jerusalem artichokes for other uses and retain the water for the wine. Put sugar in the water, along with the thinly peeled rinds (no pith, please) of the lemons and oranges and their juice. Thinly slice the ginger root and add to water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes while stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and strain water into primary. Cover with sterile cloth and allow to cool to room temperature. Add pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient, stir, recover and set aside for 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and ferment 7 days, stirring daily. Siphon into secondary, affix airlock and set aside to ferment out. Rack after 60 days, top up and reattach airlock. When wine clears, rack again, top up and reattach airlock. Rack again after 2 months and again 2 months later. Stabilize, sweeten if desired, allow to set 14 days to ensure fermentation does not restart, and rack into bottles.

7. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

if someone tries this wine recipe lemme know how it comes out.

frankly it sounds disgusting so i'll let someone else try it first lol

8. Pony

I received the BEAUTIFUL and BOUNTIFUL Jerusalem Artichokes from JAS today. They are simply GORGEOUS!

I can't wait to get them planted -- but they'll have to wait because 1.) it's cold and rainy outside, and 2.) I spent the day working at the Flower Farm in the cold and rain and I'M TIRED!

But they are lovely and arrived in great shape.

THANKS, JAS!

Pony!

9. shar

shar Well-Known Member

Hi

I Would Love To Have A Pound, If You Have Some Left. My Zip Code Is 48136
    Please Let Me Know The Shipping Amount And The Address To Send My Check To.
    Thanks
    Shar

10. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Hi Shar

We did till them under, but they are starting to come back up. I don't know what shape they are in, but I was going to rip them out of that spot. Do you want to try these? Let me know.