Anyone want a house for free????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Jan 19, 2004.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

While trying to find info on renovating old houses found this website and thought some enterprising homesteader might want a house to relocate to their land.

http://historicrelocations.com/index.html

This guy actually does the relocating and has links to some pretty impressive homes available for very little money.

Of course you then need to do a LOT of work but it is a cool old house rather than a cookie cutter...

I really thought the 16 homes in CT for $1 each was interesting.

2. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

Well, my house isn't 'historic' but I had it moved to my land and am renovating it myself. Granted, I'm doing a lot of the work myself (basic carpentry, etc.) but it will end up costing me about 40% of what it would have cost me to build a house. It's definitely worth looking into if you can find an acceptable house reasonably close by - I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

3. RAC

RAC Guest

I have seen some similar programs. Friends have looked into them and what they usually want you to do is relocate to some not so great areas to help upgrade the neighborhood. This might be a little different.

4. oz in SC

Actually this company dismantles the house onto trucks,transports it to your land(anywhere in the country) and then reassembles it.

It seems it is basically to try and save old houses that were going to be demolished.

5. Balancedmom2003

Balancedmom2003 Well-Known Member

I know a guy who does this. It is definately a possibility for us one day. I love the thought of saving a nice old home and being part of history.

6. I'm in the process of buying a fix up house in a little Nebraska village, about 1100 sq. ft., stucco exterior, circa maybe 1920's, rough in places, but with hardwood floors, seems solid. Owners asking $2000. Plan to move it 6 miles to my land, onto a walkout basement. Figure I can then put the money into remodeling instead of buying new and hopefully get it done for half the cost of new construction. Hopefully.

Bruce

7. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Okay. You buy a place. Then how is it going to cost to chop it up, truck it to its new site and reassemble it? It's sounds like a wonderful effort. I'm just curious about it. We had a Victorian 2-story moved a few years ago and it cost the women who bought it $100,000 for the move alone. Ouch! :confused: Judi

8. oz in SC

From the website:
    ''Approximate costs range from $55 - $85 per square foot. Some large and complex houses, such as the Tappan House, will be considerably more. Trucking is estimated at $2 per square mile and the number of trucks needed is estimated at one truck per 1000 square feet, plus one for doors, windows and other items.

Please remember these are mere estimates designed to give you a rough idea of the costs involved. We would need to see the structure and know where it is going to give an exact proposal. We try to put square feet or total cost (with a list of includes/does not include) on houses advertised on Historic Relocations.com and Old-Homes.net ''

9. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Sounds real expensive and I bet the guy setting it up is getting a grant to do it.

mikell

10. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

If were talking grants, couldn't an average evryday person get a grant to help in expenses to move one of these homes? Personally Id give my right arm to have an 18-1900's era "mansion". But the thing is the cost...