Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking and thinking hard about what do do for communications between my wife and I.

In this area cell is pretty much unusable. I'm talking about an easy 50 mile radius it's so spotty you can't rely on it..

I've been looking and thinking about GMRS, but the distance isn't workable for us without the cost of putting in my own repeater.. I'm looking to be able to use a radio within 50 miles or so.. More is always better..

So I keep thinking about both of us getting a Technician ticket so we could use 2m.

Just wondering if anyone is doing this, and if so, how feasible is it? I know repeaters are a lot more available to be able to use in 2m than they are for GMRS...

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I did that back in 1972. That's why I first got my tech license. Way before cell phones and with a touch pad, I could even make phone calls using a repeater.

It's a good use of them. Especially if going real local, just do simplex mode.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot we could and would do in simplex.. usually within 5 miles, but the other half of the time we'd be 20 miles or further apart.. This is why I'm looking at 2m instead of GMRS...

I do like the phone call part too.. Kind of something I've not thought about..

BTW, I took one of the sample tests which includes current questions on the actual test and passed without any studying... Problem is, I'm not sure my wife would be able to do it without a WHOLE lo of studying, and she said she didn't want to have to do that..

Maybe I should get her to take all those sample tests she can and just hope she might get lucky at testing time... She knows nothing about radio, electronics, antennas, etc..

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.. I think that would be the best bet... Get myself hooked up first, then let her see how far we would be able to communicate, especially if we had some 75w mobile units..

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
And tell her, I got my license out of self defense. My dad was a ham, then hubby was a ham, and it was used for us to mostly communicate with each other and a few friends.
I started it in the UP of Michigan. So I understand your communications issues.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wouldn`t be without mind, got it rite on the side of my computer, very reliable ............

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that general chit chat, like citizens band, is discouraged on 2M . . . .??

And is it not all line of site to a repeater........?
What kind of distance . . .generally speaking . . . .(to a repeater) .. ??

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Repeaters usually have a higher antenna, and will be placed on higher terrain if possible.

And there is less chit chat than cb, but still discussing things, but not on a base level as some cb'ers were known for.

But ham's visit with each other all over the world, and then when a natural or man made disaster happens, they kick into assisting the population.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that general chit chat, like citizens band, is discouraged on 2M . . . .??

And is it not all line of site to a repeater........?
What kind of distance . . .generally speaking . . . .(to a repeater) .. ??

This is why I was asking. I don't mean we'd sit and talk about the weather or our families, but more to use like if I need her to grab something at the store, or she has a flat, or I ran into a friend and talked a while, at least then we can let each other know why we'll be late or such..

Reactions: AngieM2

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
semi- what you are talking about is acceptable and allowed. But you might not hear ladies reading out a crochet pattern. But you can hear that someone needs help putting up a tower, or a quick going to be home late, to the xyl (yl - young lady/daughter xyl - wife), or her telling you she has a flat at xyz place. In that case a closer Ham that can hear the conversation may just offer to go change it for her. Remember it's like a party line telephone. No complete privacy.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right.. I know it's not private, that's why we'd not use it for just chatting it up, but more to keep in contact.. So true too about someone else that may be able to help... I have no ide how many hams in this area.. I know of a couple...

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Turn on 2-M during a traffic jam, weather or if there are great bounce conditions of a signal and you'll be surprised. When I lived in VA, there were plenty of 2-M hams in the area. I think there will be more now.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
So, instead of saying “Honey, I’m stranded by myself at 2134 Oak Lane and all the houses are dark. I’ll wait here for the hour it will take you to come and get me.” You say, “Honey, need you. I’m near M-24 and Maple.” ? then he calls when he is at M-24 and Maple and you bring him in closer?

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
So, instead of saying “Honey, I’m stranded by myself at 2134 Oak Lane and all the houses are dark. I’ll wait here for the hour it will take you to come and get me.” You say, “Honey, need you. I’m near M-24 and Maple.” ? then he calls when he is at M-24 and Maple and you bring him in closer?

the only reason I don't like this is because what if you can't call again

say it without saying it , he honey I hear there is a terrific garage sale at 2134 oak lane

If you know that they are telling you about a terrific garage sale tomorrow , or a boat for sale or a quad for sale , figure out your lingo he will know it is time to come get you and where you are , you can always give an address the opposite end of the block from where you are knowing that then you can watch anything coming and your person will know your at the opposite end of that block waiting

·
keep it simple and honest
3,809 Posts
There are repeater books so you can tell if there are repeaters in your area. also, join a local club to see what they use and what the "footprint" of any local repeaters are. Some either don't have enough altitude and/or power (some are solar powered) to get out to any great distance. Talk with others to find out if you will likely be able to communicate to your wife if 20 miles away at certain locations.
Also, in a true emergency I don't think there would be a problem with her using a radio if she needed help. In normal times, she can listen all she wants without a license.
I got my original license basically by memorizing the answers (all multiple choice) to all the questions in the pool from which the test questions are taken, verbatim. Or go to a class which if done properly makes it hard NOT to pass the test.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks.. I think that would be the best bet... Get myself hooked up first, then let her see how far we would be able to communicate, especially if we had some 75w mobile units..
I have Tech now Studying General now. Recent club meeting we were shown that better Antenna is more cost effective an not expensive.

Join local club if the monthly meeting works for you, Willamette Valley club has helped an I started cold at 77, but did study a lot for Tech.

Baofeng has good rep for made in China around $100 for radio + spare Battery an better antenna

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
I have a home made J-pole 2 meter in my attic , it will talk to the mobile in my van for a good 10 miles , it talks to repeaters 80+miles , the reason only about 10 miles is we sit in a valley and when i get about 10 mile in almost any direction I am over a large hill

cost was not much there are calculators online to tell you the proper lengths for each piece , I used 3/4 inch copper as it was what i had and it gets better swr for being larger around
lots of people build them and put them outside , and do all sorts of things to try and make them weather resistant , but inside is so much easier , been up 10 years and no problems, the asphalt shingle roof doesn't interfere

1 - 18 of 18 Posts