Anyone used the Case-Bac vaccination?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by burfer, Feb 2, 2005.

1. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

Has anyone used the Case-Bac vaccination for their goats? If so, did you have any problems? I know it is not labeled for goats, just looking for some opinions. Also, can you vaccinate the kids also? :yeeha: I want to "whip" this herd into shape!!

2. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

never heard of it.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Case-bac is a vaccine for CL. It would be so much better to purchase from a clean herd and continue with them, than to deal with CL. The problem with the vaccine is that once you start vaccinating, those goats will forever test positive for the disease, and without good enough testing to tell you if they have the disease or if they are just positive because of being vaccinated, you could see where you would have to have a sparkling reputation to be able to ever sell stock to anyone who knows what CL is and asks you if you test for it.

ie....someone has a really nice doe for sale that you really want. She tests positive for CL on bloodtest, do you then take the word of the breeder that she is only testing positive because of being vaccinated? Do you purchase her with the little thought in the back of your mind that she is positive because she carries this, and soon will contaminate your other goats, your barn and your property? Or do you pass on the purchase? I would pass.

Vaccinating also does nothing for goats who already have CL, and although will boost the immunity of goats who do not have CL, if they are then forced to live in a heavily contaminated herd with active abscess, I don't believe for one minute they will not come down with the disease also.

It's zoonic, it's nasty, and this is a bandaid. If your herd is nothing more than a meat, commerical, herd, (butcher simply cut the meat around and abscess) than that is one thing, but it is simply unethical in a herd that sells breeding stock, and just gross if you sell milk. Vicki

4. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

The herd that was exposed to the goat with abcesses are %boers. They are for meat and well, I have made them into pets! The reason for asking about the vaccination is now our buck has a nice big abcess on his jaw! I know what this is, it was within 21 days of being exposed. The does we did test came back neg. but I am still worried. We will either have the buck euthanized or butchered. This is so awful, he is a very friendly good goat. :waa: :waa: The neg. result goats are staying, if they ever left they would probably be meat, not breeding stock. :waa:
    This puts me in a real mess. The abcess did not bust here, but what if still lingers. How did the buck get it? Possibly during breeding?? The ground should not be contaminated, but with the new abcess???