Anyone used fly-eating wasps?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by dla, Jun 16, 2004.

1. dla

dla Well-Known Member

We are considering using wasps to control flies around here, which were bad before the horses and are a bit worse now with them. The chickens have free run of the paddock, and keep the flies down somwhat that way.
    I am considering using these fly predators on the ends of the grazing field where the chickens don't go as often, since the chickens will eat the wasps as well as the fly larvae.
    Any suggestions?
    BTW, I have been an observer and unregistered contributor for awhile, and have appreciated the good advice which you folks share with one another. Thanks,

Debbie
    new farmers's wife in MD (not new to the husband, new to the farm :) )

2. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

Hey Debbie,

Nice to make your acquaintance. I'm not one for pesticides so I used fly predators when I had horses and was happy with the results. Living in western NY, I found that 2 batches a year, one in the beginning of June and the other at the end of July, worked reasonably well. I also hung a couple of the big, sticky fly strips. Please know that the combination didn't make the barn a 'fly free' zone but they did a good enough job to make it tolerable for the horses and me. Good luck to you.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

This is just 'book knowledge' I've read that muscovy ducks will eat flys 'on the fly' and really keep their numbers down.

4. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

I have used these quite a bit in my rabbit barns and really have had good results. I do find they need to be released about every 3-4 weeks through the summer. I also let my chickens free range in the pasture and they keep the horse piles scattered and that helps also.
    Denise

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I've used the big fly catcher bottle type traps. Just empty out every few days or when full. I've used these and the ones for wasps. They work very good. I got mine at the farm supply store. They last for years, if you get the ones that you can refill. Shadowwalker

6. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

The best, most effective, fly control is sanitation. Eliminate the breading site. Wasps and traps are merely harvesting flies. Its not easy, but the chinese have shown that picking up the poop is the best control.

7. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot, folks!
    I guess it is comforting to know it might work before trying to buy bugs!
    (even with the chickens, we have plenty!)
    I will look for the botle traps - I have never seen one, but I guess Southern States might have them.
    Gee, Gobug, what would you do with the poop to put it where the flies couldn't find it?
    I mean, you could never eliminate the dog, cat, chicken and critter stuff, even with careful attention. But even trying to clean the paddock and field for the horses, you'd still have to put it somewhere.
    We compost, but I'd think the flies would find the manure there as easily as anywhere else.
    Our thoroughbred (sp?) horse is so thin skinned and the flies have definitely increased in the heat.

8. Get rid of it?

Just do what Gobug does, serve it with a side of slaw.