Anyone use these type storage containers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Caelma, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I was thinking of getting a couple of these

www.affordablecontainers.com

Was wondering how they do with moisture?
    It's a pretty wet climate and I'm trying to decide between wood
    build or these containers. Wood would be more eye appealing but
    more costly. I was thinking of one for hay and grain and another
    for critter's shelters.

2. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Did ya do the math? Wood should be pretty cost effective

3. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

We have used the ones pictured in the upper left corner of your link. Also shown here: http://www.affordablecontainers.com/containers.html (upper left again).

We have used 2 40' containers and they were affordable and great for our needs. We live in Southcentral Alaska and get a fair amount of precipitation and subzero temperatures. As long as you keep them dry inside and put them somewhere that drains well and don't allow them to flood, they will do fine. You can also cut holes in them and install ventilation fans if necessary (they tend to get very hot in direct sun and very cold in winter), just do your research and do it right - these holes tend to be sources of leak or infestation.

The floors are usually wood inside so they do get slick when wet. Be sure you pick the one you want and check out the roof & all sides (if you get lucky, you will get to see the bottom too). Set them on a level plane on good soils or even better, up on a foundation of some sort to keep them from eventually rotting out on the bottom (will take YEARS if they don't have anything wrong with the bottom already but still...).

Not sure what you want to use them for when you say "storage" and critters' shelter but they aren't suitable for horse or large livestock stalls. Some people like to convert them to barns (or parts of barns) but I personally think they are too narrow (only 9.5' wide) and make the horses prone to becoming cast. They might work for smaller livestock, but I would cut holes for doors in them and NOT store livestock in them when fully closed up (not enough ventilation and you WILL get condensation).

We plan to paint our containers and/or side them as money allows (just use the right kind of paint made for metal, including primer).

What are these containers running in your area? Around here the 20' cost the same as the 40' because of supply/demand!! Around here it's about $2,600 delivered...

For storage, have them weld a lockbox on the outside so people can't just cut your padlocks off them so easily...