Anyone use Dehumidifiers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by East Texas Pine Rooter, Feb 24, 2004.

1. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

I just visited a friend across the road that has emphizima. She is 76-years old, and is on a fixed income. She was telling me when the humidity is high she has a hard time breathing. She is on oxygen around the clock. I told her I would check in to a dehumidifier, to see if it might help her situation. She did say that if it would help, her doctor should have recommended it.

2. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

We use one in our cellar. It's damp down there and some of us here have allergies to mold. I don't know if it will help those with emphysema, but I would think that anything that would lower the humidity would help.

3. chickenman

chickenman Well-Known Member

We have to run one all summer in our basement because of the dampness. It keeps the basement dry.

4. texican

texican Well-Known Member

One of the giant oaks sheltering the western end of my house died last year, exposing the house to some direct sun. Humidity got so bad, green stuff started growin on the walls. Broke down and got an air conditioner that has a built in dehumidifier, cools and dries the air at the same time. Running it a few hours each afternoon cooled the house down, and dried my salt shakers out too.

5. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

This is east texas.. its wet... she should prolly have a dehumidifier to help her... there are also some products that help too..

One is called damp rid... you can buy it at home depot and walmart... it helps control moisture in small rooms... i use one in my bathroom and one in my laundry room, where there is always Extra moisture ... i do not have the mildew growing in the bathroom anymore since i started using this product...

She might want to try the damp rid out in her bedroom ... since i am sure it is hard for her to sleep... walmart sells different type containers .. some that can hang on the wall or look like an ice cube tray that will slide under furniture... as well as just a bucket... home depot just sells the bucket kind...

it is a small help... but... sometimes anything is better than nothing

Lynn in texas