Anyone use a GPS

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Simpler1773, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting my husband a GPS for father's day. The subject has come up a couple of times in the past year. He would like it for using on our new property and also for out on the lakes.

Any advice on what kind to get? He's a computer network engineer, so he likes technical stuff!

Thanks!

2. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

I frequently use a GPS for work as well as hunting and recreation. Garmin makes a number of GPSs that vary in price. The one I am using now is the Garmin 60CS. It will plug into your computer and work in conjunction with various topographic mapping software.

3. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

I use one for driving and love it (Yes, even after time spent in the army I still don't know my right from my left).

Nikki

4. sdrew

sdrew Well-Known Member

I use mine for hunting mostly; in those woods that invariably are possessed by evil demons that force you to walk in circles. Mine is a "cheapie" Garmin Etrex model, $99 +-. It works great for what I use it for, very simple to use.

5. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have three (not sure how that happened).

They all appear to have about the same accuracy (around 30 ft). Two are Garmens, one of which is the small, lightweight Etrex model -- if you do backpacking the light weight is nice.

I use one in my car. I just put it up on the dashboard, and it works fine. Gives speed, direction and altitude.

The other day, I helped my neighboor verify that a survey of property next to his was done approximately correctly -- the two gps units agreed with each other and the new property stakes well (within their 30 ft accuracy).

I think that all the major brands will be good on the basics (accuracy, position, direction, altitude, way points, ...). As you move up the price scale you get things like built in maps, computer interfaces -- some of the car ones even talk to you.

Gary
    www.BuildItSolar.com

6. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

My brother has a Garmen unit. One thing I like about his model is that it allows him to store points where you are standing. The first time we used it, we locked in the four corners of some property in New Brunswick. Now (provided he doesn't loose or break the thing) we should be able to find those corners after the undergrowth covers them.

Good luck, and I hope your hubby loves what you get him.

7. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

Garmin Etrex - cheap way to get started, but still effective.

Get your family out geocaching - addictive and fun for GPS lovers!

http://www.geocaching.com/

8. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member

That's the same one I have, and it works great! I use it mainly for geocaching though...

9. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

Magellan!! the "older" model I used for school was good to about 6 inches--had what one needed to integrate with my computer, and the GIS program.. Takes 20 minutes to inialize if batteries have been removed or totally die-- but was wonderfull. Of course, 6 nches may be "close" for some-- but it makes all the difference when looking for the exact same plant year to year!!!

10. Tessynae

Tessynae Well-Known Member

My hubby and my father both have Garmens (Etrex Vista) and they LOVE them. They both use them for geocaching and my hubby uses it when flying (mostly just for fun.) The whole family is now hooked on geocaching. My husband says that they are bullet proof. Of course they aren't car proof. He ran over my dad's. Oops :rolleyes: . My dad got the exact same one to replace it though. So it must be good. They are available at BestBuy and Amazon.

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Yes,I have a Garmin.Its the worlds most expensive speedometer :rolleyes:
    And I know if im going up hill or down. :shrug:

BooBoo :p

12. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member

Isn't that a great family activity? :) And I guess if ya homeschool, it could teach all kinds of subjects in just a few hikes :goodjob:

13. reese

reese Well-Known Member

subbing so i can remember to have dh look and give is opinion since this is up his alley:D

14. Joey Wahoo

Joey Wahoo Well-Known Member

I recently bought the Explorist 400 from Magellan. I love it. Aside from general navigation, it can be used to calculate areas of fields, ponds, etc.

Costs about $250

15. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I've been on the fence about getting a handheld gps to use on our undeveloped property. I thought it would be useful for establishing fence lines, house and outbuilding placements, driveway/road designs etc. But every-time I ask people in the know about this idea they tell me that consumer gps are nowhere near accurate enough for this type of land development. Not to mention, 65% of our property is heavily treed.

I went to the store the other day to look at them and all they had were these huge car mounted ones intended to tell where to turn and such. Are the models you guys are talking about handheld models using way-points and such, and not intended to provide driving directions?

Thanks
    Wayne

16. Joey Wahoo

Joey Wahoo Well-Known Member

The Explorist is handheld. Mine works fine in the woods.

17. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, I decided on the Garmin Etrex Vista Cx, hopefully he likes it. The reviews seemed pretty good. Everyone was so helpful, I really appreciate it!

18. reese

reese Well-Known Member

dh says that's a good one, good quality. :)

19. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had many over the years, and like my Garmin 60C best. I take it everywhere when I travel, and it's probably saved my life more than once.

I don't carry more than one at a time, though. There's an old saying: Man with one GPS is never lost. Man with 2 GPS is never sure.