Anyone use a Field and Brush mower?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rowdy, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the DR Field and Brush mowerBrush mower .

I've used many types of tractor driver shredders, but have not used or seen this product, so wanted some real world advice on exactly what it is like.

I've got lots of undergrowth I need to clean out, but it is too tight to get a normal shredder into, and do not want to use the dozer. Oak saplings, greenbriar, etc. I've been cleaning out the big stuff by hand, but now I'm ready to finish it up.

My local rental place has one that rents for $44 a day, but I wanted to get yall's opinions on this machine. I'd never really consider buying one, since one can buy something along the lines of a 8N for what they go far, but renting is another matter.

Thanks,

Rowdy

2. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Our neighbor had one my husband borrowed. It worked great but something broke on it whilke we had it. It was just a small thing, something that should have cost pennies at the hardware store. Trouble was it was not standard size and we could not find the bit we needed. Ended up having to get someone to make one. DH sell spare parts but they are expensive and you have to send away for them. I'd check to see if the parts are something you can get at a regular hardware store.

3. carole in ky

carole in ky Member

I have a BCS walk behind tractor. I love this machine. There are no belts, chains or anything. It is driven direct from the PTO. You can get any attachment that you can get from a big tractor. The bush hog will grind through any kind of brush, brambles, saplings. What is really nice is that being driven from the PTO you get plenty of power to all your implements.

I especially like the round hay baler. It makes bales that are the same volume as a square bale (40-60 lbs) but is easy to carry and store. There is also a round bale feeder that is sold by a goat magazine (can't remember which one) that the bale fits right into and sure saves on hay.

Check out www.earthtoolsbcs.com

4. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Carole. I'd never heard of this one. I'm sold! Now I just have to figure out how to pay for it!

5. kjerckie

kjerckie Well-Known Member

I rented one few years ago for my five acres. I had a hard time with the strengh of gripping and holding the secondary handles against the main ones for the forward drive and turning. My hands were too small. I ended up wrapping a rope around the go/stop handle to keep it depressed, and it would unwrap if I released it to stop the machine. It was quite the workout.

6. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

We have owned and used the DR Brush cutter for 4 years and absolutely love it. Haven't had one problem in that time. It is a workout to use it on hills.

7. carole in ky

carole in ky Member

Kjerckie, I agree with you, as someone who has small hands. The clutch, on the left, was probably not adjusted correctly. It only needs to be adjusted enough to stop forward motion as you pull it. This will close the gap that your hand has to be opened. Left and right brakes, on right side, need to be adjusted to where brakes work when handle is pulled approximately 2/3 of the way back towards the bar. This will make it easier for your hands to manipulate the brakes.

Sorry you had such a bad experience.

If you are on hills they will give you a workout. Try pushing down on the bars while applying the brake in direction you are wanting to turn. The machine will turn quicker.

8. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,
    We got a 15 HP Pro-model DR Brush mower last March
    I LOVE IT!

We have 13 acres, with about five in overgrown woods. We HAD
    multi-flora rose bushes going 20 feet up into the trees and in
    big 10 feet high Thickets. Let me tell you. That DR will eat them up.
    But it is slow and you have to go back & forth to get them all
    chopperd up.
    We had an area of 15 ft. Sumacs that needed paths cut through,
    for the deer. The DR eats up even the biggest Sumacs, and saplings
    like oak or hickory up to about two inches. it leaves nasty little
    sharp stumps around though.

All in All, I love it Not ONE Problem. Have Fun, chop, chop, chop!