Anyone tried "Mystery Shopping"?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ann Mary, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone tried the mystery shopping and found it to be Good/Bad??? :confused: I am thinking about doing it but want to know if others have found it to be worht the $99.99 it costs to start up. Your pros/cons would be appreciated! :clap: Thanks

2. wncramsey

wncramsey Well-Known Member

you shouldn't have to pay to start working.

I'd say find a different company.

Diane

3. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

We did it for a while several years back, but there was not start up cost. That would be like me paying Burger King to hire me. If they are asking for up front money, they are probably not legit, or are just scamming people. It was fun, but not real lucrative.

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I tried it once. No start up money and the report work wasnt hard, but they expected you to front the money and be reimbursed. I did restaurant evaluations and all they did was reimburse you for the cost of the meal, no salary at all. I gave it up. Never did any real shopping and have to wonder how they work those. Do you have to go buy something you dont really want with your own money and then get reimbursed? They also tend to be rather upmarket stores in big cities and large malls. Even the restaurant shopping had the oddest restrictions, like you couldnt go to this one rib place at the dinner hour if your were older than 40. Lunch evaluation was not a problem, but they didnt want no old folks eating ribs at dinner. When it comes to ribs, this old boy can eat em morning, noon and night and twice on sunday and I'd be more than happy to give you my opinion. The whole deal was just not worth the trouble in my mind. :1pig: :shrug:

5. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

I HAVE A GREAT high paying JOB FOR YOU... just send me 199.99 to get you started

6. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Save your money and sign up with companies that are for free. This is just a rip-off, they'll just send a list of companies that hire and you can get that online for free. Unless you live near a large city it's not going to be worth your time. Even then it may not be worth it because of the price of gas.

Check out this forum for Mystery Shoppers..................
    http://forum.volition.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3 You'll get answers to all your questions there, plus you'll see what companies are paying, what you have to go through to get paid (reports have to be to the letter or no pay).

You'd be better off doing Merchandising or Demo work. Merchandising your setting up instore displays and restocking those displays. Like Hallmark cards, Music CD's, Make-up in stores like Wal-Mart, Kmart, etc. Demo work is handing out samples instore or showing a product (no sales).

Forum for that..........................
    Merchandising and Demo work
    http://forum.volition.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=6

7. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

I do all sorts of mystery shops and I never had to pay to sign up for any of them. PM me after the holidays and I'll look for my lists of them.

8. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

what is mystery shopping???

9. CraftyDiva

You evaluate businesses, how they handle customer service, maybe a fast food place to see how clean the place is or the bathrooms. It's mostly chains, like McDonalds, or Office Depot. There are also some where you go into a resturant and evaluate the service plus the food, like an Olive Garden.

10. Bresias

Bresias Restless User

11. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

LAST CHANCE TO SEND $1 TO P.O. Box XYZ. Somewhere, OK 1324X

12. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I signed up to do mystery shopping but was never quick enough to get the assignments. They'd post things that were in your area and you'd need to be the first one to say you'd do it (guess I was too busy feeding the sheep while others were signing up!)

Anyway, it didn't cost me anything to join, but even though I live in a fair sized town, all the shopping was in the Seattle area. Sure don't need to drive a couple hours for a meal, free or not, so I finally gave up on the idea!

13. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

A legit mystery shopping company DOES NOT ask for money up front. It's FREE.

My mother signed up with a company, but being so far out in the boonies, the compensation wasn't enough to cover the gas for the assignments she got so she dropped it.

14. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

I did mystery shopping when I worked for a National inventory company called RGIS. They paid me I never paid them. Its ok but they did not pay enough to cover the expence of using my own vehicle. I traveled up to 175 miles a day to get to the businesses. Never pay out money to get a job...sounds like a big scam to me.

15. jimarh

jimarh Well-Known Member

Don't pay anyone any money to Mystery shop.
    I did it for nearly three years - never paid out a cent.
    Real companies who want you to shop never charge a fee.........
    Hold on to your wallet and don't go with whoever you were thinking about!!

16. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

I work at a bank and our managment would hire secret shoppers to test us. They were terrible, stood out like a sore thumb, they would aways say something like, "tell me about your products", little did they know we had about 50 of them, Ha! 1 hour later.... a real person comes in and says,"I want to open a CD",and you open a CD. Stores and restaurants may be easier, but services take a little skill. A lot of them would try to lie, and then you would catch them in conversation, it was funny, others just couldn't wait to get out and get paid.

17. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks everyone. You have given me some things to think about! I dolive a ways out of town so this probably wouldn't be something I should try. Maybe I'll try to look into stocking Hallmark cards or something.....wonder how I find out about those kinds of jobs??

18. CraftyDiva

Here's a list of companies that hire Merchandisers and demo people. I would suggest signing up with as many as you can. At first you'll get assignments that are one tme shots or limited to an amount of hours (any were from 1 to 4). Once you prove yourself to the company, they'll give you an on going assignment (weekly), but this also will be limited hours. Best to have a few companies to get as many assignments as you can. This way you could do this as a full time job, just working with different companies. Right now I'm doing music cd's at Best Buy, it's only a 2 hour job (weekly), so having other companies will give you more options and hours.

You choose the assignments you want to do, but at the start I'd suggest taking any assignments just to get your name known. Once established you can pick and choose what you want to do...........................
    http://www.volition.com/merchandise.html If you scan down the list, "HiringEdge" is the company that hires Hallmark cards merchandisers.

Also check http://flexhire.com/, they will post Merchandising jobs sometimes on their site. If you sign up with them they'll email job openings in your area as they come up.

19. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

What exactly is merchandising? From what I am gathering, it's stocking prodcut for a company. Like Hallmark cards in grocery stores, is this correct? I always just assumed the cards were shipped to the store and the store put them out, am I wrong?

This sounds interesting,
    thanks
    Ricki

20. CraftyDiva

Depends on the type of merchandise, some stores buy it outright, others lease space to a company to display products. As in Hallmark, because of the nature of the product the store doesn't want to pay one of it's own employees to stock, clean, and make sure each card has an envelop, or the card is in the right location (birthday card in with wedding cards, etc.). So the vendor (Hallmark) provides the service for the store. The stock is sent to the store, they provide storage, you (the merchandiser) do all the rest. Plus some vendors pay a pretty penny to have the right spot at the store (near the register) so your the vendor's rep to make sure that happens. In other words as in Hallmark, your the company's eyes, ears, hands and sweat to make sure thier getting the product displayed to it's best advantage to make a sale.

I had a well known make-up account in a few K-Mart stores, never again. Sorry to say but female shoppers looking for make up are pigs. I was assigned 6 hrs to a store (tells you how bad the stock can get messed up) and would have to work a full 8 (2 hrs on my own time) to finish straighting the stock up. I did this just to get started doing this type of work and get myself in the door. Now I'm more selective about what I'll do.

Another company right now is bugging me to do assembly (Bikes and furniture) on call. So if someone buys a bike and wants it assembled I would have to run to the store put the bike together and leave, go home and wait for the next call (yeah right). The furniture part is easier, someone buys a bookcase and is too lazy to assemble it or can't, you go to the home (buyer) and assemble it. This I can do, but you have to take both jobs not just one part.

It's a wierd business sometimes. :confused: