Anyone tried "Direct Buy"?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mysticokra, Dec 9, 2005.

1. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

My wife wants me to go see the people at Direct Buy about a membership.
    They won't tell you what it costs until you visit, which sets my "hard sell warning" meter off.

Have any of you used these people and what does the membership cost?
    Thanks.

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I see their commercials on television and when they give a testimonial that says something like "We saved $45,000 by furnishing our house through Direct Buy."

If they saved $45,000 what did they still spend? Not a place I'd want to shop I'm sure.

I agree, if they won't tell you what it costs, then it probably costs too much.

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

I'd be enormously leery too if I were you. Any business that's flourishing and on the up and up wouldn't have any problem being up front with you from the beginning. They bring in their top sales people with a lot of charisma to 'sell' you on joining at their meetings.

Sounds like a type of 'pyramid' thing where you sign people up under you to increase your income thru the company. You often have a minimum amount you have to purchase each month through them.

4. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to why your wife wants you to go see them? Does she know something you don't..or is she just curious?
    Because if she knows something we don't..maybe she can share it with all of us (including you). :rolleyes:
    But if she's just curious..then by all means go and check it out for her. And please let us all know what you find out.

5. pyper7

pyper7 pyper7

Just convince your wife to buy used.

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

One of my sisters jumped on the 'crazy train' and joined one of those P.T.Barnum Buying Clubs. She Did Not Consult me first. Two thousand dollars, oh but we're saving 10% on everything...

Explained how much she'd have to buy to make up the initial 2k payment, and she got sick. Then, quizzed her on the prices she paid... A quick jaunt to the internet, and local stores... and she was even sicker.

Why don't you just send me the several thousand dollars...Call it Texicans Buying Club... Tell her to choose her appliances, and I'll ship em to her, with the Buying Club Discount, and after I add my little fees on..........

kidding kidding kidding...

My Advice.................Run Away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

7. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Found this on the net. Not my opinion, someone elses. FWIW.

Direct buy, famous for late night commercials, is a 35 year old catalog retailer operating out of "members only" centers where you can order items "direct from manufacturers" at "rock bottom prices".

The process: They don't divulge any details until you sit through their 2+ hour sales pitch, so I will save you the trouble. Besides a cup of tea or coffee they don't actually TELL you anything but the price of membership at the open house (it takes 2 hrs to make you feel bad you don't have one already!). Then they might give you prices on 1-2 items, usually something that is a big savings item (in theory) and hard to compare- such as flooring. They won't let you come back (or so they say) once you say no, and you have to sign up on the spot. The group I went with didn't have a single taker but there were 4+ couples shopping in the Bothell location on a random night of the week, so who knows- someone must have signed up.

The cost: $3990.00 for three years plus the option to renew for 7 additional years at $199.00 a year.
    >> yes, you didn't miss a decimal, it is four grand to sign up!

The benefits: It is hard to tell because you can't actually look through their special merchandise books before signing up. They showed me a few prices that seemed good, but not great and you need to buy the brands they carry (e.g. KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Canyon Creek Cabinet Co, Jen-Weld, etc.).

What to do: If you are a major buyer of furniture, flooring, etc. then this service may be worth it to you. But if you want to do it, pick a big ticket item (like $5,000+) such as kitchen cabinets and bring it with you to the open house to get them to show you a similar item and see if it is worth it.

This is imilar to some of the benefits of using a general contractor who may be able to buy direct or using services like U-Build-It, but for me, I don't spend $4000 without proof of savings.... please post responses if anyone has actually seen the savings - or not!

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Sounds like a ripoff to me - one of many!

9. glwalker

glwalker Well-Known Member

It sounds like they're getting most of their profits from the membership fees.

10. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

If you need what there selling and your buying a lot of it, it can be a good deal, for the average joe you can get just as good of a deal being a frugal shopper and looking around.

THe big issue I saw with direct was they only carried top of the line items and while you did save money over list, you could have gotten a good quality similar product for 1/2 their discounted price.