Anyone tan goat hides??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kidsngarden, Apr 16, 2006.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Just a thought as I saw my young boer bucks soft coat. - not sure what I'd do with it, but wondered if it's a good thing or not.

kidsngarden

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I've seen tanned goatskins - makes sense to me, not to waste the hide if you're butchering anyway. I know there is a book called "Tan Your Hide" that explains how to do it yourself.

3. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

This is something that we would love to learn how to do. We would love to do the goat hides and rabbit pelts. I'm not a good book learner is my problem. I learn by watching and doing!

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, it does seem a waste not to use the hide if your butchering at home. But I just don't have the time and can't find anyone who does tanning around here to buy them. Anyone on here interested?? Last summer I must have thrown out 30+ hides........some were BEAUTIFUL.

5. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

Just want to add my name to the list of people interested in learning to tan the hides. I haven't butchered yet, but think I can thanks to Ozark Jewels article :rolleyes:

6. mihal

mihal Peterfi Mihal

I alos started with "Tan Your Hide". It does not cover brain tanning, though, which is mostly what I do these days. It is gross, but efficient and has good results.

Basically, you scrape the hide as usual, then heat and spread 2/3rds of the animal's brain on both sides of the hide and work it in. Best to use gloves but not absolutely necessary. Then mix the remaining in with warm water and soak the hide overnight. Work hide with a stake until warm, soft, and dry.

For preserving fur or hair, apply the whole brain to one side and omit soaking. Work immediately.

It is an odd coincidence that msot animals have just enough brains to tan their own hides.

7. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

mihal, what do you do with the skins?

8. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will look into Tan your hide. Our butcher won't take the hide, hooves or head of goats or lamb. I doubt he'd skin it pretty enough to tan so we will try to butcher it ourselves, etc. Aren't there certain seasons that tanning is better to do because the hides are nicer?

kidsngarden

9. mihal

mihal Peterfi Mihal

Depends on the animal and the condition of the hide. Basic leather work: hats, quivers, hot pads, working on gloves (hard). Deer hides I soften up to make nice throws. My wife makes good moccasins. I am working on a pair of felt boots that will need leather soles and trim.

10. mihal

mihal Peterfi Mihal

Skin is thicker in spring/summer. Fur is fuller in Winter/Fall.

11. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Wow, that's great!
    We've always thought it was such a waste to throw away those deer and goat hides, but it costs $60 EACH to get them tanned around here.
    I'd love to try tanning... maybe it could be a homeschool project!! :p