anyone survey own land

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by countrygurl, Apr 5, 2005.

1. countrygurl

countrygurl Well-Known Member

Hello

we have our plot map land drawen out and tell example: 20 degrees north 5 minutes ect. we found a one corner pin. is it possible to survey your own land
    what is needed? it doesnt need to be exact just for our own knowledge
    our house, barn & pond already done got a few estimates from survery $1200-2000 way to much just to have done just because....no reaason

any infor please reply.

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

It depends if you need a survey or want merely to know what is yours and what is not. If a survey is a requirement of closing or refinancing, it pretty much must be done by a certified surveyor. If you want to know your own corners, then you can probably go from this pin and find the next corner. Depending on what length each side is, you might be able to get a good idea with just a long tape measure and compass. Do you know if there are pins and corners out there? Other helpful tool if there are pins is a metal detector.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I did mine neighbor raised all kinds of cane,I told him if he wanted to pay for Survey fine if not shut up.Truth is I think I gave him a few feet.One neighbor had her property Surveyed I was off 8' in my favor.Whats bad is her neighbor on the other side,even though her corners are marked,her neighbor is clearing and Building a 100' into her property.

big rockpile

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Well, by most understanding, a survey IS exact. But if it has markers noted, go find them and put a tall, visible stake there(rebar-painted) so you can use them for reference points. I had a surveyor give me an extimate for a survey and he said, "honestly, there are markers and they are pretty good here, just find them and be done with it" so we did.

Truthfully, if a neighbor was building in an uncertain zone, I'd insist they have one done legitimately to save us all headaches in the future. I had a neighbor who wanted me to go in on it as they wanted their little parcel corners and we own two sides, but I wouldn't pay (its a field for us there) so they didn't do it, just erred very generously to be certain. That was ok for us.

5. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Like everyone else said it depends why you need a survey. It is really easy to find your corners from a drawn survey, but around here it would never stand up in court. If you want to do it you will need a compass (camping store, Walmart etc) and a tape measure. Walk 10 paces and then measure the distance you covered, divide by ten and you have the length of your stride. Start at the corner pin you found and turn until you are facing the angle given in the survey (ie N20E is 20 degrees to the East of due North), now walk the correct distance per your premeasured stride. If you don't find a pin, repeat the line or measure it out with the measure (we used a 100' measure and broke the line into sections). If you still can't find the pin, return to the original corner and go in reverse (ie N20E reversed is S20W). We found all but one of our pins this way and that one had been removed by a neighbor. If you survey includes arcs and meanders along a river it would be more difficult to do and I have seen some older deeds that just do not close (sometimes the error is obvious and sometimes it isn't).

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

why dont she stop him?

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Because she don't know.She lives in Ohio.I told him he to me off.

Around here most properties have not been surveyed so you will not find no pins.You might find a Quarter Marker which I found one went from there.

big rockpile