Anyone still starting seeds?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by duke3522, Mar 28, 2005.

1. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

I am just wondering if anyone else is still starting seeds right now. I am still starting some seeds like peppers and tomatoes. Back in my grandfather’s day he never set out his tomatoes until after June 1st and always had a nice crop. He said that most people were in just to big of a hurry and that if you set your plants out to soon they would be stressed way to much.

I know that in his day here in Central Indiana we were somewhere between zone 4 and zone 5. And that now the maps tell us we are more in zone 6. So maybe he would have moved up his set out date a week or two.

These days I think about him a lot more than I use to. My relatives are always saying how the only time he ever held a steady job was during WW 2. But I will always remember a man who lived simply and had a big bountiful garden every year that not only provided him with fresh veggies, but also provided my family and all of my Mom’s sisters families with fresh veggies as well.

When I was a kid I use to help him plant, and I remember how he was trying to teach me a thing or two about gardening. But I was young and foolish. I would always think “why are we doing all this work when we can just go to the store and buy what we want.” Now I wish I had paid more attention to that old man. But I did pick up some more of his garden wisdom in later year from my mom. Of course I don’t know what they would think of my raised beds or drip irrigation.

Sorry about getting off topic. Funny where a thought will lead you sometimes.

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm still starting some, and actually was thinking of going ahead and dropping a few more tomato seeds into some dirt to get a few more plants for "just in case".

I haven't started flowers yet, just put some herbs into pots a few days ago. I really don't have a handle on how much I should be planting, since I am hoping to keep two or three gardens going this year. Farm: kitchen garden (with self-watering apparatus) and dry garden (potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, etc.). Suburban homestead: kitchen and herb garden. Between those two gardens, we should be doing pretty well.

Keep praying for good growing weather this year!

Pony!

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Forgot to say that your grand-dad sounds like a very good man. Aren't gardening memories of family wonderful?

Pony!

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Just starting seeds here on the "tundra". 17 varieties of tomatoes thus started yesterday and all of them in a cold frame. They joined about a dozen members of the brassica family which should be sprouting in a day or so. Tender plants can't safely go into my garden until mid-May and those started outside will already by tough when transplanted. Only the peppers are started inside where they need the extra warmth. I expect to see some seedlings in a day or so from them.

Martin

5. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

I have lots of seeds to start yet. I think sometimes there is too much of a rush. I like to transplant plants on the smaller side anyhow. Saves me money on potting soil.

6. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

Duke - Please read about my complete failure with tomato plants - I just posted it. I'm also in Grant County and tried to plant about 300 of them. Maybe I planted too soon?????

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I started my toms last week, along with elephant garlic. This weekend I did Marjorum, Borage, Chive, and one other that for some strange reason I just cannot remember!!!

I also planted some onions that weren't looking too hot, so I figured I'd stick them in the ground for some green tops, at the very least. Planted som sunflowers, just cause I wanted to.

I'll be doing pepers, and others, intermittantly, as I have time. With hubby gone, I have to do this myself, since the children (teens) all seem to think I do nothing but workhorse them when he's gone. No more or no less, but views change when only one parent is yeilding the whip, I guess :yeeha:

8. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

I started the tomato seeds I got from Martin last week. The Wisconson 55 seeds were up in 4 days, and the Kellogg's seeds are popping up today. Can't wait to grow my first yellow tomatos.

9. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

Yep, seeds still going in here. And will be for a while yet. Some I'm trying "winter-sowing" - planting them in little covered containers outdoors, and others are indoors - tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, etc. I too, have Martin's seeds growing here - wow, did those seeds germinate fast!!! :eek: I had some older seed I started at the same time and they're being very pokey. :D Gotta get the shelving and fluorescent lights set up today for them.

The last of the snow seems to have finally disappeared in this morning's heavy rain. Come on, spring!

Diana

10. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

The weather around here can't be trusted until around the first of June so except for potatoes, lettuce, and peas, I don't put anything into the ground until then. I'll start tomatoes and some flowers about the middle of April so they'll have about 6 weeks inside. I have a neighbor who starts her tomatoes the 1st of March. Her's are big when she puts them out, mine are small. Because we have worked with our soil more and have more sun, after about a month they are all the same size!

11. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

I just started tomato seeds on Saturday, of course I'm here in Zone 3 so it's none too late! I planted Brandywine, Amish Paste, and Stupice (all tried and true for me) plus some new ones: Wisconsin 55, Black Cherry, Aztec and Mother Russia (thanks Martin!) Black from Tula, Riesentraube, Enterprize, Maskabec, and Tiffen Mennonite. I still have a few more varieties to plant--you can never grow too many kinds of tomatoes! :D

I also planted some lemon balm seeds. I wasn't planning on it, but the cats knocked the seed packet on the floor, then spilled a pitcher of water over it so the seeds got wet, so I had to do something. Maybe the cats are trying to tell me they like lemon balm! :haha:

12. Leah IL

Leah IL momto6

I am in northern IL, so I just started some of my seeds today. I started broccoli, brussels sprouts, celery, parsley, dill, oregano, basil and collard greens. I'm going to start my tomatoes and peppers next week. I have my onions ready to plant and I still need to get garlic.

Also, does anyone know when to put a blueberry bush in the ground? Do I need to wait until after last frost or can I do it now?

13. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I just started my peppers & tomatoes today. Here in Colorado, we're lucky to get them out by memorial day. I usually put mine out under milk cartons, too. This helps them along as we are out where it is windy & cool. I want to start cantaloupe in a couple weeks.

14. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

just started my pepper seeds today. started several varities of tomatoes a couple of weeks ago. they're looking good. I always get in too big of a hurry cause I'm so anxious to get out in the garden LOL

15. chrisnev

chrisnev Well-Known Member

Havent started yet..I am in northern Maine and we had snow today...I have a little while to start..I cant wait to start Martins seeds also...am very excited....Chris

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Just started bell pepper seeds the other day. Have 22 baby tomato plants going and dug up eight volunteer pumpkin plants out of the yard for transplant later. My mom (my own personal garden advisor) said she'd never heard of transplanting pumpkins so we'll see how it works. If I'd left them in the yard (where the temporary chicken pen sat all winter) they would have gotten mowed down.

Need to get some herb seed started now. And I'm debating on starting some more tomato plants. Naw...22 plants are plenty for two people.

17. stuckinsd

stuckinsd Well-Known Member

I have started some of my seeds, but still have many more to start. Seeds swaps and such keep on trailing into my mailbox...I just can't resist an offer of another type of heiloom tomato to plant, so my seedling will be of varied sizes when they finally get to go out into the garden around May 15th.

stuck...

18. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    I'm in southern Montana and have just started tomato and pepper seeds, keeping them in the oven until the germinated. My tomato babies popped up in just a few days and I was soooo pleased getting them under lights so quickly. Then, this morning when I went to check on them.... DISASTER! It appears that a mouse had discovered my little baby plants and ate the leaves off of every last one of them. :waa:

Guess I'm gonna have to re-start them tonight. I'm so glad that my peppers weren't ready to leave the oven yet. I've put out a mouse trap to get that little bugger..... :mad:

19. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

You might want to wait and see if they regrow.....tomatoes are darned resiliant!

20. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

Done with tomatoes and peppers here (I admit, I'm in a hurry. I start my tomatoes early,in wall o waters, and have tomatoes by July 4, even here in zone 4. I cant wait for eggplant. I can wait for peppers. But not for my tomatoes!)

I guess I feel like our season is sufficiently short that seed starting is designed to get me as big a jump on things as possible - I want my zinnias to bloom in July, not just August, and to have melons for two months, not just one. I suppose I should wait, but those pleasures are so momentary and so fleeting that I can't resist extending them. It isn't necessary, just pleasurable for me.

Sharon