Anyone sell their house online?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texican, Jul 15, 2006.

1. texican

texican Well-Known Member

My sister has woefully underestimated how much her home and property are worth... She initially put a price on it that they thought was fair, and people were knocking on the door with sacks of cash (almost literally)begging to buy it... I've told her what some prices elsewhere are, and she's raised her price only modestly...

I told her I'd check online on how to go about selling online... So I googled it and only came up with 800M entries... arrgghh!!!

She's got a ten year old brick 3000sq' home, with a 30x40 insulated 'metal framed' shop, 8 acres and a small pond... the house is immaculate... when a neatnick meets a neatnick, ...you can eat off her floor...

So, has anyone went through the process of trying to sell their house online, or used an online type realtor?

thanks

20 days till my sweetheart arrives...

2. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Why are you so determined to force her to raise her price? Let her price it at whatever she wants to. If she is happy with a certain amount that should be what she sells it for.

Part of the problem with "run away" housing costs is that everyone is overpricing their property and waiting until someone is stupid enough to pay it. Sure they make more money, but they also price their property out of the market of honest, decent people who are just trying to make a life for themselves.

donsgal

3. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

Texican, you can look at listings in her area online and search for comparable properties. I don't know what real estate company is most prevalent in your area, but google them and enter in the info that describes her property to see what other property in that general area is going for. That would give you a ballpark figure. The other properties for sale in her area are her competition, so she should price her's accordingly IMHO. Donsgal is right that you don't want to overprice the property, but it sounds as if you think it is substantially underpriced.

4. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

There is no sense in losing money here. Have your sister find a reputable local realtor who will do a comparative price analysis of nearby properties and then list the price of the property at its fair market value. A good way to find a realtor is through references from your family and friends. Also look around and see what company has the most properties for sale (signs) in your area. They are probably the ones that are selling the most. The realtor you choose will probably multi-list your house which will put it on-line anyway. Whatever you do don't listen to Donsgal. Yiour sister is entitled to every cent the property is worth and will bring.

5. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Darn right! We're ENTITLED to be greedy pigs! Who cares about anybody else. As long as we get "ours" that's all that matters. After all, it's every man for him self out there, dog eat dog, screw the other guy.

That's such a wonderfully, generous attitude to have. I bet you kick stray dogs too! Let's hope YOU never have to rely on the kindness and generosity of another human being for survival.

donsgal

6. SignMaker

SignMaker Well-Known Member

Donsgal,

Easy there. Making money is not evil. Making as much money as you can on a deal is not evil. You seem to be taking this personally for some odd reason.

Think of it this way, the more money she gets for the place, the more options SHE has. She can give MORE to her church, she can give MORE to her kids, she can spend MORE on a new place.

If she has underpriced it, then it is good advice to tell her to get professional assistance.

Besides, what makes you think that the people trying to buy it for less than what it is worth are even intending to live there? I have dear friends who are real estate investors who would simply buy it and resale it for the true value of it. Again, there is no shame in trying to make money.

7. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Texican,
    In answer to your original question, yes I have. In February we wanted to list our home for sale and had discussed numerous options and I had researched several ones.
    One day I decided to place our home on ebay and took many pictures and wrote a complete page of description of the house, outbuilding, land, community and region. I included information related to the school district, jobs, recreation, weather, taxes, etc. My DH told me that it would never sell on ebay. In TWO days I had the buyer. We're in TX and he was in Indiana, wanting to get out from under the heavy taxes in his area. I had 22 people interested in buying the house before the final deal was made.
    There are different ways to sell on ebay. You can list it where people contact you to make the deal and it is actually not up for auction. Or you can list it just like any other item with the starting bid being the lowest price you'd take for the property and see what happens.
    Now we did have a real estate friend that helped talk us through the paperwork, but we saved a pretty good amount by doing it ourselves and we were completely closed on the property in less than a month. So it was worth it for us.
    I hope that your sister is able to accomplish her property sale. Have you listed it on the real estate section on HT? Someone on here may be interested also.
    Best to you and yours,
    mamabear

8. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

bought mine online, used help-u-sell realty, they even give virtual tours.

9. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Im sorry doesnt this woman have any honner or morals?Dont You?

Sounds like she made a deal and when people agreed she backed out of it.Sounds like you may have pushed her.SHAME on you ! SHAME to the otheres here who agree with this and even want to push it farther!
    Frankly from what Ive seen you post Im appauled at your take on this.

10. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I bought a fixer house for $2000 and sold it on ebay 2 years later for $6000, with no improvements inbetween.

11. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

12. texican

texican Well-Known Member

What happened is this.........

My sister and BIL and their kids were very good friends with an AfricanAmerican family... they did all the things families do together... and when they're son was playing football in HS, they went to all of his games and hung out... then the boy, who by now has turned into a man, a big man, got a scholarship, they reluctantly changed allegiances to a different college football team, at least till he graduated. He's now playing with the Atlanta Falcons, and football has been very very good to him...

Last fall, before the season started in earnest, he was out visiting and made the remark, he'd like to buy their house and acreage and put some horses on it... and he told them to name a price... they thought he was joking, but he wasn't! They can't move out, till they get another place ready... they're trying to sell some detached property to finance the new home... the word got out about the whole scenario, and folks came out of the woodwork, similar to that real estate commercial on the radio, where folks show up within twenty minutes with sacks of cash...

the problem local realtors are having (at least the two she's dealing with) is that there aren't any comparable homes around... except at the private development, where homes are going for up to 2.5M...

She doesn't want to sell to just anyone, she wants to sell it to her friend... he's making the high 6 figures (or maybe more this year), and doesn't want to be cheated or to cheat, as far as the value goes...

And I hate to inform some folks, but communism died, capitalism rules. Willing buyer, willing seller... Now if someone feels that people should have homes for less than they're worth, that's cool. Can I have your home, and land, and also you're car? I really really deserve it. It doesn't matter if you've worked two or three jobs to earn it... I deserve it, well, just because... sorry, I don't see things thataway...

Individuals are not governments. If you cannot afford a house, Rent! If you cannot afford Rent, live with relatives. If you can't live with relatives, there's something bad wrong with you and you'll probably Be a ward of the state at some point, or either living under a bridge. I've been so poor in the past, I couldn't afford 'under the bridge' accomodations. I have lived with relatives many times, while getting my financial house in order. I've given up the everyday pleasures of the common man, in order to realize my dream. Now that I'm there, I cannot see willingly giving it up to someone less 'fortunate' than I am, just because they're having a rough go of it... I'll give them the same advice... Keep your pants on, stop drinking, smoking, and eat beans... never go out, save your money, and in ten or twenty years you might have something...

sorry for my little rant... Life ain't fair, and we are owed nothing...

yours,
    texican

and now its 19 days till Donna arrives

13. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

As near as I can recall from my very limited knowledge of the subjet, Jesus never charged to heal anybody. I am not saying that someone shouldn't be fairly compensated. But FAIR is the word. She should sell that property to strangers for the same price that she would sell it to her children or grandchildren for.

Everyone should have the opportunity to have a home and life for themselves - not just people who earn "six figures". That is what the golden rule is about. Loving one another as we love ourselves. People who give of themselves and are not greedy find that their generosity comes back to them in other ways.

In a couple of years we are going to sell our place which has been appraised at $73,000 but I don't feel comfortable selling it for that amount, even if we could GET IT, which we probably could. I think we will probably list it for $65,000 and probably sell it for around $62,000 because that is what I think it is fairly worth.

It's just the right thing to do.

donsgal

14. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Like I said she made a deal.
    If you set a price and others act on that you made the deal. Aprently they were not trying to negotiate LOL what would you do if at the check outline the store Oh no sir you seem to be able to afford more so we want more?
    Now aprent lyshe made this deal to ONE person and that is the ONLY person who she in honner bound to sell to at that price.
    And its nice that he doesnt want to take advantage of the situation .
    Isit not good to hear about good people getting along for a changeas opposed to the bad neighbors thread!
    :)

15. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Hey, I can afford $40K, so I think you ought to sell it to me for that.

Sheesh.

Let's turn it around. I know a guy who approached an older widow woman. She had a bunch of ground. He offered her $100K and she took it. He laughed all the way to the bank because that ground was worth 3 times that amount. She was happy, until she learned that she could have had enough to live the rest of her life without money worries, that she could have had enough to travel to see her grandkids whenever she felt like it. Instead she moved to town and has to watch her pennies to be sure that money lasts the rest of her life.

I guess she can feel good about herself for selling for less while she is eating dog food when she's 90.

Jena

16. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I think you ought to just get an appraisal and sell it for that. Appraisers are paid to come up with values when the common person can't. That sounds like the fairest way to me.

I think there's some people on here who have a bad case of greediness. I think there's something they want to buy that they can't afford, so instead of accepting life as it comes, they are going to bash the whole world.

Whatever.

Jena

17. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

We sold a house online. We had it listed with a realtor friend, he's the one that listed it online. It sold fast and for a few thousand more than we had originally wanted to ask for it.

18. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

I would second getting it appraised and then going from there. I think we paid around $400 to have ours appraised before we sold. Money well spent. I think we also had a home inspection done.

If we ever sell again I plan to get fair market value and not a penny less. Why would I under sell myself? Making money on this place will enable us to live more comfortably somewhere else. If I was to under sell myself chances are someone would just "flip" this place for a quick buck.

It's hard to say what the place I own now is worth. It's complicated but once we get a house on it we could easily sell it for quadruple what we paid for it (we paid $150K). I would have to be soft in the head to let it go for less than what it's worth.

19. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

I forgot to put this online quick appraisal:

http://www.zillow.com/

I don't know how accurate it is but it's fun to punch in addresses of friends and family and see how much their houses are worth :)

20. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

In real estate the only thing that seals a deal is whats in writing. No handshakes, no conversations. Only whats been legally signed. Honor has nothing to do with it.