Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went with my DD17 last night, I liked it the movie is pretty close to the books. My daughter likes it alot but i think it's because she liked Edward, yea he's cute for a younger guy. :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Isn't that the same guy that played Cedric Diggory in the HP movies?

Are the books good? Since there's been so much talk about them with the movie out, I thought I might read them. Are they more for teens?

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
I'm almost done with the second book.

I thought the first one was pretty awful, the second a little better.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the beginning of the first book, so far it's ok.. I don't know if he was in the HP movie he might of been.

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
Since my 13 y.o. daughter read the books, I did too. They are okay...not my favorite thing for my daughter to read but okay. She saw the movie and loved it. I am curious to see it.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
I saw it and liked it. My DH even thought it was quite good although he asked me to explain some stuff cause there should have been more detail on some parts as they seemed kinda "vague".

Yep, Edwin and Cedric are the same guy.

·
Chief Bottle Washer
563 Posts
Are the books good? Since there's been so much talk about them with the movie out, I thought I might read them. Are they more for teens?
Yep, totally for teens. Just out of curiosity I joined Doubleday Book club and got the whole Twilight series. Am on the 4th book for now.

I can see how teen girls are ga-ga over these books. They deal with quite a few things girls go nuts over, among others they include:

1) Being found attractive by a knock-out guy who hangs on your every word and is the perfect gentleman at the same time.

2) Finding your soul-mate.

3) Your new boyfriend has all the money in the world and wants to spend it all on you.

4) Attaining immortality-staying in your teens forever

5) Relationships...this is a biggie for teen girls. Almost every chapter in every book deals with relationships in some form or other; love triangles, parent/child relationships, the who-am-I? struggles...etc.

6) Action and suspense...never a dull moment.

7) Possessing super powers.

One thing that impresses me about this author-Stephenie Meyer-is the lack of sex and foul language. There is no sex (beyond kissing) until the last book and then it's mostly hinted at, the only bad thing about it is that it gives the impression that sexual desire is wild and uncontrollable. The only swear word she uses is "crap."

One thing that concerns me is how it makes it seem desirable for girls to find a guy who is all of the above-handsome, rich, immortal, and obsessive over them. Much of the behavior this Edward exhibits would, in the real world, freak me out; obsessive, controlling and scary, not a healthy relationship at all.

That's just my take on it.

·
just me
1,770 Posts
Well Amazon Santa delivered the first two books over the weekend and I'm going to try to read them before wrapping them for my DD. We went to the movie and loved it.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
It's a scary movie I tell you! My wife says that if I would go to see the movie with her I would want to make out in the theater!!!:kissy:

:eek: Scary!!!!!

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
Yep, totally for teens. Just out of curiosity I joined Doubleday Book club and got the whole Twilight series. Am on the 4th book for now.

I can see how teen girls are ga-ga over these books. They deal with quite a few things girls go nuts over, among others they include:

1) Being found attractive by a knock-out guy who hangs on your every word and is the perfect gentleman at the same time.

2) Finding your soul-mate.

3) Your new boyfriend has all the money in the world and wants to spend it all on you.

4) Attaining immortality-staying in your teens forever

5) Relationships...this is a biggie for teen girls. Almost every chapter in every book deals with relationships in some form or other; love triangles, parent/child relationships, the who-am-I? struggles...etc.

6) Action and suspense...never a dull moment.

7) Possessing super powers.

One thing that impresses me about this author-Stephenie Meyer-is the lack of sex and foul language. There is no sex (beyond kissing) until the last book and then it's mostly hinted at, the only bad thing about it is that it gives the impression that sexual desire is wild and uncontrollable. The only swear word she uses is "crap."

One thing that concerns me is how it makes it seem desirable for girls to find a guy who is all of the above-handsome, rich, immortal, and obsessive over them. Much of the behavior this Edward exhibits would, in the real world, freak me out; obsessive, controlling and scary, not a healthy relationship at all.

That's just my take on it.
I agree with all of the above... most of Edward's behavior is not acceptable, and the relationship would be considered really unhealthy. It is a crush, carried to an extreme art form. As escapist literature it is probably on par with a Harlequin novel.. a bodice ripper without the bodice, as it were.

On the other hand, if a young man sees this film and takes away from it that girls like to be treated like ladies... I can't fault the film. I can't tell you how many times my husband has held my coat for me and it has surprised the other couples around us. The woman looks at her husband accusingly, and the husband looks at my husband in astonishment. "Real men hold coats?? Who'd a thunk??"

A little grace in life is a good thing.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If it encourages girls to reach a little higher, I'm all for it. Edward, while obsessive, is better than the average guy around here!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Cheesy, boring and I really didn't find Edward in the movie to be attractive at all but my 17 y/o DD does.

I am not one of those prudish moms either, actually I am a Goth, I love vampire anything and considered very cool by my kids and their friends :) LOL!

I thought I was going to fall asleep during the movie, the first book was ok. I am not going to punish myself by reading the others unless DD does that whole pouty face thing like she did this time around.

Personally I wouldn't let a kid under 12 see it but that's just me. I advised my sister not to let her 9 y/o see it.

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
I know this is an older thread from December, but I'm just now getting around to reading the books... I have the movie on my Netflix list, it'll be the next movie I get after sending this one here back...

I am rather enjoying the books... An easy read for any adult, but good none the less...

·
Registered
623 Posts
I try to read all the books my teenage daughters are reading or at least be familiar with them. Warning though: Book 4 is overly long and somewhat( in my opinion) inappropriate for younger readers. This is dependent upon your family views, there is much about a pregnancy,delivery and lots of references to intimacy between two characters ( who are married). At first I didn't want my 12 yr old daughter to read the last book. But reconsidered, she is mature for her age and I wanted her to read the book if she showed interest so we could talk about the themes in the book. I want her to ask me questions, not her 12 year old peers.

As a double English major, I think part of the appeal of the Twilight series books for older readers is the gothic romance theme. And yes I agree with Morrison Corner, although Edward's behavior could be considered "stalkerish" in some ways, he presents himself as a gentleman and seems to respect Bella. Yes, Edward's behavior is extreme but it is the romanticized ideal. Generally not what most of us experience in the "real world" and that is probably a good thing!

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
The Twilight series is great and not just for teenagers. Check out twilightmoms and see. I'm 51 years old. I read them all and for a whole month I couldn't sleep, eat, breathe anything not having to do with Twilight. It took me the longest time to get where I could read another book again. It's a great escape from reality sometimes. And there is nothing wrong with that. It can be good for the marriage too. Trust me.

The movie wasn't as good as it could have been because they didn't have a big budget to make the movie with. But it was a huge blockbuster and so had more money to budget the next movie "New Moon". It's expected to be better quality. I can't wait till it comes out.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I read the books because my daughter raved about them. I didn't care for the first one but each one in the series got a little better than the last - I really enjoyed "Breaking Dawn".

I thought the movie was kind of lame......I got the feeling that the movie was cast based on the actors looks, not their acting ability.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
................One thing that impresses me about this author-Stephenie Meyer-is the lack of sex and foul language. There is no sex (beyond kissing) until the last book and then it's mostly hinted at, the only bad thing about it is that it gives the impression that sexual desire is wild and uncontrollable. The only swear word she uses is "crap." .
I was impressed that the sex mentioned in the final book is after Edward and Bella are married.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts