Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone had seen this movie? I heard it was pretty good and almost rented it at Jumbo Video. I got to the counter and the guy said, "Just to warn you, it's all subtitled." He said the only version of it available was subtitled, no english-speaking version. HUH? I'm pretty sure I saw the ads for it and they were speaking english, perhaps I was mistaken?

Now I can read as well as the next person, but I dislike missing the action when I'm reading. IS there an english version of this movie? Is there a particular video place I can get it? Or maybe I should just wait for it to come on the dish in a year and hope they will dub it in english.

Thanks!

DD

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
It is in Spanish with subtitles, so you have to watch and read at the same time. My son liked it so much that he insisted I watch it, too.

I liked it, but I have to say it is definitely not a children's movie. My son is 18, so it's okay for him but I wouldn't let younger children see it because the overall tone is often frightening and the subject matter (war, death, brutality) is disturbing. There are several scenes of shocking violence.

·
Tub-thumper
1,588 Posts
I loved the movie, and it's much less distracting for me to read subtitles than it is to watch people's lips move out-of-synch with the audio!!

It's a fantastic movie but definitely not made for children.

/VM

·
Registered
105 Posts
We use closed captioning on everything we watch -- which can really add to the show sometimes -- so the subtitles were not a problem.

Pan's Labyrinth was fantastic. Definately on our "to buy" list. But not for small children.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
To my knowledge there is no English version of the film. Only the North American ads were narrated in english.

It's a great movie, as already said. It's worth seeing even if it is subtitled. The movie is fairly easy to understand from the images alone. The subtitles meerly filled in some of the subtle contexts that couldn't be made clear through the imagery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's a very beautiful, very sad movie. You don't have to read all of the subtitles to understand what is happening though it definitely helps.
I watched it in theater with my wife who is from Venezuela and since we both speak spanish fluently I think we got more out of it then those that only read the subtitles but it is still a great movie either way. It really shows the way adults are seen by children in very traumatic situations.
(it is a little disturbing though, don't watch it if you only like disney style feel good happy ending movies)

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
drakkensdottir said:
We use closed captioning on everything we watch -- which can really add to the show sometimes -- so the subtitles were not a problem.
So do we!

My son (age 25) loved the movie so much he went out and bought it. He loaned it to me and I plan to watch it tonight.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I loved this movie, although it is heartbreakingly sad. I did let my son (12) watch it, but we both closed our eyes in the more upsetting parts of the movie. It led to some good discussion about fascism, violence, courage, greed, and the fact that we both are foolish enough to wish that Pan was real and that the end wasn't an escapist fantasy.

hollym

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
I almost rented this movie (I don't mind subtitles) until I turned the dvd case over and saw this really really scary looking monster and I decided not to.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
There was some talk that Campbell soup might sponsor an English-dubbed version to promote their Franco-American brands. But since that label has been largely phased out during the past two decades, I doubt that it will happen.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Wanted to add- even though it looks like it could be a kid's movie, I highly recommend watching it adults only first and decide for yourself. My 14 year old son (who's seen quite a few horror movies already) thinks it was scary/traumatic. It's not something I would want a 9-10 year old to see. It is, however, a good movie, just not for kids.

Now if ya'll remember, I'm the one who owns Brokeback Mountain and let my kids watch that...if this puts things in perspective a bit.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I thought the movie was very mentally disturbing. I will not watch it again.
Absolutely do not let little children watch it. The theme may have been good, but there was too much blood and violence in it.

We play subtitles on all our movies because we can never hear what they are saying. It makes it easier to catch all those little background happenings too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
DH and I love foreign films and were going to watch it last night. DS and his wife brought it back with them from their trip to Thailand but we got to making homemade pizza and looking at pictures of their trip and missed out on watching the movie. We will try to see it tonight. Thanks for the reviews.

·
Don't Tase me, bro!?!
1,358 Posts
Heidi's_Goats said:
I thought the movie was very mentally disturbing. I will not watch it again.
Absolutely do not let little children watch it. The theme may have been good, but there was too much blood and violence in it.

We play subtitles on all our movies because we can never hear what they are saying. It makes it easier to catch all those little background happenings too.
I agree there were some parts that had what I call unnecessary violence like the face stabbing thing. Not quite the same as 20 guys shot down with an automatic weapon. The little mandrake root thingy was kinda freaky too.

I kept thinking about the movie being made by the Spanish and remember parts of europe bashing us because of the violence in our movies. lol.

Overall, it was not enjoyable for me due to having to read the translation and then missing parts of the graphical content.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Loved the movie - definitely not for kids but they would lose interest reading the subtitles.

Intense - sad, powerful and joyful...

We watched it twice.

·
WorkerBee
242 Posts
I absolutely LOVED this film. It is intense, but it is about a civil war, a child's entrapment in a situation that she cannot control, and the violence is in the context of warfare and guerrilla fighters.

This movie would not be suitable for young children. But as adults, my BF and I sat with our mouths open and sitting on the edge of our seats. We were mesmerized. Great cinematography, great script, great acting, great effects. Top notch job. It won several Oscars, I believe.

Don't be afraid of the subtitles. You hardly notice them after the first couple of minutes. I hope you enjoy it!

Sassa

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.