Anyone run their car on vegetable oil? Help!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Laci, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Laci

Laci Well-Known Member

After me telling my aunt about the article in Mother Earth News about running your car on vegetable oil, she is totally hyped about it, and ready to do it. She doesn't have access to internet, and wants me to find out if there is any less expensive alternative to buying a Racor reuseable filter. Can you buy the same thing from somewhere else for cheaper, or is there some other kind of filter you could use instead? They want $215 for the filter, and at this time she just can't afford the conversion kit ($330) as well as $215 for the filter. This is where we are ordering the kit from (unless someone can suggest a more cost effective alternative) http://www.greasel.com/ . Can anyone give me some advice here?

Thanks,
    Marcy and Jason

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope she has a diesel car?????

Minnesota will kick in a 2% blend in all diesel fuel of soy oil about a year from now. Plan to ramp up to 5% a year or two later. Us soybean farmers are hip to it. :) It does however gel a bit worse in cold winter.

Sorry, can't help with the filter thing, as I'm not sure what it filters? Would be more interested in what the conversion is, or where your fuel source is, etc.

--->Paul

3. Laci

Laci Well-Known Member

She actually has an 80's version ex-bread delivery truck. I think that the filter just filters any sediment that may be in the oil, down to 28 (I think) microns. From what I understand (with limited mechanical abilities) after reading through a couple of websites, the conversion is a matter of installing something that heats the vegetable oil before it goes into the engine, in order to thin it down, since VO is a little bit thicker than diesel. For her fuel source, she plans on using as much recycled (used) vegetable oil as she can find, from local restaurants. She has already arranged something with a couple of her local Oriental restaurants. She is also lucky enough to be friends with someone who recycles VO as a business, and he has agreed to sell to her, if she needs it.

Marcy

4. my understanding is you can use lye and methanol to cook it into biodiesal and glycerine. to burn straight vo i think you have to start on diesel switch to vo then back to diesal for shutdown otherwise it sets up when it cools and won't fire when trying to start it if you have 2 tanks it should work why not just filter it prior to going to the tank use an oile filter or diesel filter cartrage A day of settling should also get most solids to settle out. It will need heating of tank and all at cold temps. I think your best option may be to process it into biodiesel for winter use. I didn't know chinese restraunts changed thier oil.

5. daeve

daeve Well-Known Member

6. C and P

C and P Member

7. Yeah...what C and P said. It's about an $800 conversion to SVO (straight vegetable oil). We are doing this very soon. Greasecar is a great site. Bear in mind that SVO is different than biodiesel which is veggie oil that has been subjected to a simple chemical reaction process to reduce the viscosity of the fuel.

With SVO, the vehicle conversion process essentially involves putting in a small auxillary fuel tank for regular diesel. The vehicle is started with the diesel and engine heat is transferred to a heat exchanger which warms the veggie oil in the main tank, thus reducing viscosity (thickness of the oil and its "flowability"). when the veggie oil is sufficiently thinned (only takes a few minutes), a valve is turned so that the fuel line is now drawing the thinned veggie oil only. Heat from the engine running continues to keep the oil in the tank thinned. cool concept. Good luck.

8. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

9. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I just went to the website and it's ALL NEW with forums for everybody but new like in the last day or 2.

mikell