Anyone Raise Tamworth's?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by QueenB04, Feb 20, 2005.

1. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone here raises Tamworth's? Read an article about the breed and I've been very interested in learning more about them. Let me know! :)

2. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I raise Tamworths, and love them. They are very good for forage based feeding systems.

[​IMG]

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Our first boar was a Tammworth...Mr. Perciful aka Percy.
    He was lovely, but something went wrong with his feet, they grew really weird. He was reluctant to walk around much. Then soon after we had to put him down because his bowell prolapsed out....get the picture..poor little bugger. He was probably 5 mths old when that happened. He was bought from a piggery, so probably something genetically wrong with him. We bought a Tammworth cos of the sun here they don't burn with their dark skin. :)

4. starkravenmad2

starkravenmad2 Active Member

we also raise tammys in australia and they are a very hardy and easy care breed when free ranging and would recomend them as long as u can wait a bit longer to eat them as they do tend to be slow growers

5. Horace Baker

Of course there are large differences in stock, but the ones we have will grow as fast as any other breed on the same ration. In the US, the majority of Tams are raised by commercial growers selecting for fast growth on full feed. It's amazing to me that they still retain their foraging abilities despite selection in the other direction.

6. starkravenmad2

starkravenmad2 Active Member

Sorry i meant they slower to grow on free range rather than penned and feed up.
    The thing i find funny is that over here tams would never be used by comercial growers because of skin colour,here they use only the pink/white skinned breeds and crosses used comercially,at the sales anything that not landrace or large white will bring less money.

7. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought Percy from a commercial piggery...the guy only had Tamworths and Hampshires.(their the black and white ones arent they) no whites....so I think it depends for what market they are raising them for...he obviously sold direct to someone rather than through the markets. :)

8. QueenB04

QueenB04 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

Reason I asked is because I originall believed my boar to be a Duroc Hampshire cross. Getting the red from the Duroc but the white girth belt from the Hampshire. However he's slower to grow then most hogs, and the more he's growing out the more he resembles the Tamworth in appearence. The big tip off are his ears, they're not floppy. Grantid this could come from momma but his face is taking on very distinguishable features, I'll try and post a pic. I'm also looking into further using this breeds for my breeding. Anyone is the VA area who has them for sale let me know! Please let me know more info about the breed, and pics are welcome too. Love that pic Horace!

9. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Queen,
    We also raise Tams & enjoy them very much here, we are also due to have a litter any day now ,,, as a matter of fact im getting alittle freaked out that she hasnt farrowed already.
    We are located right on the Va border in N.C. right in the middle of the state , the closest town to us would be either South Boston, or Clarksville. depending on which way your coming from.
    These are Registerable tamworths. Let me know privatly if your interested in breeding stock so i don't cut the boars to early.
    i can be reached at beeeman at charter.net please note the 3rd E in beeeman & of course replace the at witht he proper @ sign.
    thanks
    Rick

10. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Anybody in/near TN have Tamworths?

I set the pic as the background on my screen (tiled) so I could show hubby. It is so incredibly cute I think I'll leave it there for a while.

11. royB

royB Active Member

Paula, although I don't have them yet I will be picking up a bred gilt and a bred sow in March. Both registered and bred to different registered Tam boars.

I had to go to Indiana to get them but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

Roy

12. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

royB,
    We live in southern Middle TN, are you fairly close?

13. Hilly Acre Farm

Hilly Acre Farm Active Member

Wendal Braittan (sp?) in Indiana has the best Tamworths I know of. We bought a breeding pair from him a few years ago. Our boar got HUGE, and was the biggest baby. The kids would go out & lay all over him. They only thing you have to worry about was when you would give him a good scratching(which was his favorite thing), he would roll over on his side so you could reach his belly, and you just hoped you didn't get in his way or you might get squished.

14. royB

royB Active Member

Paula, I must be, I live south of Nashville.

Wendal Brattain is who I am getting mine from. I've read ther places that he has the best genetics for a forage based system.

15. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

royB,
    Would you consider selling us a boar and gilt when they are weaning age? When are the gilt and sow due?

16. Horace Baker

17. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Horace, I sent you a PM, did you get it?

18. royB

royB Active Member

Paula, I thought I had replied to this but I don't see it. They are due mid to late April and we plan to sell most so yes we would sell you some. I'll make sure to post back when they farrow and see if your still interested.

If I've done my research correctly, they wean about about 6 weeks right so they should be ready for a new home about the first part of June.

19. Horace Baker

I hadn't noticed until your post, but yes I did. I'll PM back in a while, short on time at the moment.

20. royB

royB Active Member

Horace, that is a nice looking mama. How old is she? Did she only have the 5?