anyone raise satins for meat?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by outcast farm, Aug 9, 2004.

1. outcast farm

outcast farm New Member

We have been raising New Zealands for meat (about 100 +/- meat bunnies a year) for a while now, but recently aquired a satin doe. That got us wondering about raising satins or NZ satin cross for meat so we could also have the nice satin pelts.
    Does anyone have any experience with satins for meat?
    This is also an issue because we have a fairly large population of satins locally, but nothing for NZ's which makes it tough to keep finding outbreeding cantidates...

thanks much!

Zach

2. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

I do raise satins as well as satin crosses for meat. I know many people that also raise satins for meat and are quite happy with the results. I prefer to cross Rex to Satin for a really nice pelt.

3. Ginger

Ginger Member

I have been wanting Satins for meat and the pelts, but haven't had any luck finding any Satin breeders in Colo. I emailed the national Satin club about a month ago, but no-one has answered me. I have heard Satins make an excellent meat rabbit. :confused:

4. wabbitswayer

wabbitswayer Active Member

Depending on where you are, there are a pair of satin cross rabbits coming to CO next weekend in which the doe is pregnant. They are going to live in eastern CO. I don't know the names of the towns but if you are around east central CO, I can give you an email address. I may even be able to send an extra one or two if you are close to where they are going.

5. Ginger

Ginger Member

Thanks so much, I am near Ft. Lupton which is about 35 Miles NE of Denver.

6. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

Interesting - I had wondered if I could do that, but someone told me to never cross rexes with other breeds. Does this increase the size of the meat rabbit substantially? Seems as though satins are a good bit bigger than my rexes. Does the pelt end up like a rex but with longer fur?

7. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Take your Rex buck and breed to a Satin doe.

This F1 cross produces nice sized kits. The fur looks like the Satin but is thicker and a little shorter..but not much. Try it! it will only take you 1 month for kits and 2 more months to grow out.. if you don't like them, put in your freezer.

8. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

Just what I wanted to know. Most are destined for the freezer anyway, so it will be interesting to see the pelts. Thanks.