Anyone raise rabbits NOT for meat?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by mathis, Apr 11, 2005.

1. mathis

mathis Active Member

I raise English Angoras for their fur...anyone else out there do the same? I am new to the site, and have been looking for advice/ helpful hints and ideas. But everyone seems to be raising rabbits for a different purpose than I am. Anyone into spinning and/or fiber rabbits?

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hi,
    I've got French Angoras, which are, of course, dual purpose critters, so culls go in the freezer. Their main purpose is for fiber, though. I don't spin anymore, but do use the wool for felting.

There are several others on here with angoras...perhaps they'll show up.
    Welcome to the forum,
    Meg

3. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

I have rabbits for meat and then I have some good pedigreed rabbits for showing ( english & holland lops) that I sell

4. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

Heere in PA we raise about 25 French OUr 1business besides has been angora rabbits Connie spin and doesFelt iif we can be of any help our web sitr httpsomethingshappinin.tripod.com all our numbers are there

5. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I raise them because I really like their manure for the garden and because they are so quiet and friendly! I've had rabbits almost continuously for 30 years now and I just like having them around.

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i keep two of them strictly for their manure. they are worth the price of their keep, just for the good poop for the garden. it's mild enough to use on houseplants even.

7. Tiffann4k

And here I have way too much manure, trying to figure out what I am going to do with it all :haha: Allready have about 2 feet on my garden that needs tilled so I can plant it and then the rest of it, I dont know what I am going to do with it

8. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

We just got two rabbits and there will be three more here in about a week and a half. :cool: The reasons we have them are for meat for us, and of course we'll sell some when the babies start happening. We also have them for the poo and poo tea for the garden and poo to start a worm bin for castings for the garden and plants.

9. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I'm also planning to get some for manure and earthworms, but I wonder like maybe, you do?, if there is any market for pets?

hollym

10. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Hi, My daughter and I raise Jersey Wooly rabbits for show. DH just finished hanging the cages (about 25). We keep peat moss underneath--folks will knock down your door for peat moss fortified with weed-free rabbit manure.
    Faye

11. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

DH and I raise New Zealand White rabbits in Minnesota. We raise them for meat for ourselves and eventually, when we have enough to spare, for food for the dogs. We also want the manure for the garden and our worms- if we ever get "enough" worms and castings to meet our own needs I suppose we could sell some of the excess, but it's hard to imagine ever reaching that point! Of course, we also sell bunnies for pets, fryers, raw feeders, and breeding stock, whatever.

12. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

You put an ad in the paper and sell that black gold, that's what!

Meg

13. Tiffann4k

There is a market here for pets. Some of the people that buy rabbits from me either want just pets or want to get some different lines into their rabbitrys. I have many different rabbits, I have some mini rexes and holland lops that are just pet quality, then I have some pedigreed show rabbits ( mainly the english lop) that sell like hotcakes as pet and as show.

I dont sell to pet stores though

14. Tiffann4k

Meg,
    The only problem I have is mine is mixed with straw, hay and urine so its not dried, I dont think it would be much good to try and bag it or anything, I dont know havent really looked into it too much :haha:

15. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

We raise mostly NZW, but over the easter hollidays, we sold like 25 as pets, plus we rented to photgraphers, we have also recieved a call from the feed store for rabbits for next easter. In addition we have many old timers that like to buy a rabbit on occasion just for the meat.

_Neal and Beth

16. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Well, looks like this thread has taken itself on
    a bit of a rabbit trail from the original question,
    though I've enjoyed the reading... :)

We love fiber animals, unfortunately, we don't
    have any right now...though we've had a llama,
    assorted sheep, and angoras in the past. If I
    could find just ONE angora bun locally, it would
    have a good home.

I've spun a bit of persian cat fur from a relative
    once when desperate last year for fiber. It was
    very much like angora bunny wool. We were
    fortunate to find a small place to rent
    when we moved here last year, but being that
    we are just renters, we've only got another
    year before the landlord begins to bulldoze
    and develop. The few animals we have now
    are earning their keep with milk, eggs, meat
    or manure. (esp. manure) :haha:

Hopefully we'll find a few acres of our own and
    can begin a handspinning flock before long...
    ideally, a few cashmere goats, a couple angora
    bunnies and some colorful shetlands would share
    our homestead.

Right now, I am collecting those tiny soft feathers
    our hens leave in their nest boxes for some creative
    project...kinda desperate for fiber, I guess. LOL!

17. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Gosh, I'm guilty as charged Sheeptamer, lol, after I read a few posts sometimes I forget about the original one's ENTIRE content!

How does one get the fiber off of the Angora rabbit? Can you comb it? I wonder if they wouldn't get too hot where I am. Texas summers are pretty miserable.

Tiffany, thanks! I used to have a Holland lop, I just loved him to bits, his name was Sweetie Boy. I also raised Netherland dwarves and those I did sell for pets.

hollym

18. mathis

mathis Active Member

You can take the fiber off of the rabbit by cutting (you have to hold the scissors at a right angle to the skin so as not to cut the bunny by accident), by combing, or by plucking. If you cut the fiber, most people do it once a quarter. Sheeptamer, if you are anywhere close by, I will be having baby bunnies soon. They will be looking for a good home! :) I am in central Illinois, but travel to Minnesota often.

19. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

What nice folks on this thread.
    (you know who you are) ;)

Several have posted sympathy
    messages and offered me a
    wooly bun...but I'm a bit off
    the beaten track, as you can
    see by my updated location
    info.

I am looking forward to at least
    adding some interest to our
    rabbitry by getting a broken
    Rex from Montana Rex Ranch
    not far from us. (no, not a
    bunny that needs fixin', but
    polka dotted!) LOL!

20. TerriA

TerriA Well-Known Member

I raise French Angoras.. actually just started the breeding of them this spring. I have 3 does and 2 bucks :p also have a breeding pair of Jersey Woolies and 5 NZW (for meat)..

We are buying a couple dozen cages to add to the rabbitry.. will be selling to other breeders, at shows and for 4H. My granddaughter will be showing the Jersey woolies (she is 5 and they are about 1/2 the size of a French Angora making it easier for her to handle them).

I live in Nebraska so anyone from the area is invited to visit! Just email me!

Terri (Sunrise Ridge)