Anyone Picking Blackberries Yet?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hee Haw, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Nothing better than a good hot blackberry cobler, on a cold winter day. Also a hot buttered buscitt with a slab of blackberry jelly and a fresh cup of coffee,is mighty good on a cold morning,or any morning as far as that goes.
    I like to tie my plants legs and get out just as the suns comming up and pick a couple gallon of wild blackberries. Have you started picking yet? I noticed a few ripe once today,here in N. Ga.

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Here in Southern Missouri, the wild black raspberries are in season. I've been picking them and already making jams & jellies. Our wild blackberries will come in next month. NeHi Mama

3. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

I'm jealous!!! I live in a zone 2. :Bawling:

The raspberries & blueberries are just getting done flowering. So we'll be picking in a month. :) Strawberries are just about ripe, I hope I can beat the bears to them this year.

4. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

"Something" is getting ready to ripen here...I can't tell the difference in some wild raspberries compared to blackberries. Blackberries usually ripen in July,so I'll guess the ones ripening now are raspberries :shrug:

5. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

The blackberries are just about gone around here. We probably have about another week or so. I have drip irrigation on my thornless, but I'm amazed at how well the wild berries have done considering how dry we've been.

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

DW says she is picking a few wild ones now with the kids.They are just starting

7. lshields

lshields Member

Do you guys do anything to sweeten them up or just use as is? We love to pick and eat, but sometimes in a cobbler they are very tart.

8. jynxt

jynxt Well-Known Member

The kids and I have been picking them off and on for the last 2 weeks....can't tell ya how many gallons I've actually used but I still have 6 in the freezer. We've been blessed to find a huge field of them next door to where we live and they are just huge this year!

For cobbler I toss them with a bit of sugar and drizzle with lemon juice then let them sit for awhile before I bake. It seems to help with the tartness but for most things we like them just the way they are.

9. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Ours are still blooming. It will be quite a while yet!

10. smumitson

smumitson Well-Known Member

Ours aren't even in bloom yet! We don't get to pick until september!

kids

11. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Our thornless bushes are done blooming, the berries are loaded on heavy - still green as a gourd! Won't be long though!

Nance

12. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

We're in southern central GA, and we've been eating blackberries for several weeks. Our thornless navahos are just finishing up and the cherokees are just turning ripe. We get a two for one season. The wild ones are also well into rippening up and it's a pretty sweet year for them.

13. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I checked on them yesterday - still green. Soon!

14. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Had to run out to look at the black raspberries. They're green and hard as rocks!

The neighbor's lovely (NOT!) and invasive mulberry, however, is turning from white to red to black... Now I have to be careful with the laundry on the line, because the birds will be dropping their Purple Bombs everywhere!

Darned neighbors... They don't even use the berries off the lousy weed tree... And won't let anyone else have them either... :grump:

Pony!

15. Hee Haw

Hey Pony,
    I dair you to bake them a pie and carry it to them. It may chage their heart. Rinder Good for evil. What you think?

16. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Heh... Darers go first. ;)

Seriously, I don't think it would be wise to pick their berries off their tree and bake them a pie from them.

It may, however, be a good thing, once my raspberries come in, to take them a jar of raspberry goodness and neighborly love.

So thanks for the encouragement and reminder to walk as my Savior did, to try to make friends of those who would be enemies, and to get along with others as much as is within my power.

Pony!

17. randy in central missouri

randy in central missouri Well-Known Member

i picked about half gallon this morning.
    yummy

18. Hee Haw

Yea, I agree, it would not be a good idea to pick their berries ,that would not be rindering Good for evil.I am sorry you misunderstued my intentions.But to sacrafice some of yours to make a good neighbor,might be worth the sacrafice.To have good neighbors is worth a lot now days. I give about half of my garden to my neighbors and wish them Gods Blessings. It is worth it to me. I bet your raspberry goodness,is just that GOOD NESS. God Bless.

19. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

I think you are dead on Hee Haw! Sowing always makes for good reaping.

Just two weeks ago we were able to help someone out by giving them some plants that they didn't have. In these two weeks, three people have agreed to give me stuff I didn't have before and could not afford to buy. We don't sow for that reason, we sow to sow. It's good to be nice to folks but reaping from something sown is a natural part of the equation.

God will not be mocked, whatever a man sows, the same will he reap.

I understand exactly what you are saying and agree 100%.