Anyone need a guard burro?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by mathis, Jun 23, 2006.

1. mathis

mathis Active Member

We got a great pyr this spring, and now don't have a need for "Bunny", our guard burro. She is wonderful with the sheep, but I am more of a "dog person" than a "burro person"! She is white with a brown cross on her back - 7 years old, and has had several foals. Very effective against coyotes. We had serious problems with them until we got her! Anyone looking for a guard?

2. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Why on earth would you get rid of her if she was so great. Your great pyr could turn out to be a dud or be not as effective as your burro.

3. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Any thoughts on what you might be asking for her? She sounds like a peach!

4. mathis

mathis Active Member

We didn't decide to get rid of her until we were sure that the pyr was working....she is working great. Bunny has been with the rams for several months now. I wanted a pyr to begin with (again, I am a dog person), but couldn't find a working one that I could afford. I was under the gun. I was up every night chasing coyotes out of my yard, and I found a trained burro before I found a dog. At that point, I wasn't picky!

5. mathis

mathis Active Member

Just what I paid for her - 250

6. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I wish you were closer. I am in NY and would take her in a min. I just got a yearl;ing Donkey and love her to death , but she is young.

Patty ~ Hope she finds a great home.

7. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

Where are you in Illinois?? And how does she feel about dogs? My Collie runs the pasture when I am out. The Scotties are leashed and the Golden hangs close. But the Collie is out being a dog and I don't want him harmed. The sheep and horses don't mind the Collie.

Kathie

8. Petsguy

Petsguy Well-Known Member

Mathis,
    Any interest in trading for some lambs or poultry? I am located in Peoria, and have 3 mini donkeys now. In addition to several other critters. Let me know your thoughts. Maybe we can work something out.

Take Care,
    Jeff Port
    Smallville Miniatures and Exotics
    Peoria, IL

9. mathis

mathis Active Member

Littlebitfarm - I am near Peoria. We have an Australian shepherd, but she is not usually in the pen with the sheep - she is half afraid of them! My guess would be that as long as the sheep are not bothered, Bunny wouldnn't be either. If the collie chased the sheep, Bunny may get upset. She is with the rams and two alpacas right now....and the pyr sometimes comes in and out of that pasture. She mildly warns the alpacas if they try to eat her food!

Petsguy - it would depend what kind of lambs. I raise mine for the fiber. pm me....

10. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Have to chuckle about this one, "Pepsi", our Australian Shepherd is afraid of the grown sheep too, and she comes from a line of working dogs :rolleyes:
    She does make a great family dog though :)

11. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

The Collie doesn't chase the sheep. I'm sure he would love to but the minute the sheep see a dog they run into the barn! I'm an hour south of Champaign. It's really tempting! But I 'd better wait. I'm getting a new hip in 10 days and not in a position to do much livestock work and won't be for awhile!

Kathie

12. Patty0315

Wonder if UPS would ship her? {hehe} Is she still available ? If so I want to check with a friend of mine to see if he has any trips out that way coming up.

Thanks , Patty

13. mathis

mathis Active Member

Don't think she would fit in a dog crate! :) Yes, she is still available....

14. eieiomom

Patty,

There are a couple people that transport small livestock that would come well recommended. We have some lambs headed to NY next week, but I don't think she would fit in a pickup :)

Deb

15. Patty0315

My donkey I have would fit ! What kind of lambs ??? Like I need anymore .

16. eieiomom

Patty,

This guy picked out as many as could fit comfy in the truck ....3 ewe lambs, one ram lamb.
    We have wonderful, naturally colored and white East Friesian crossed with Polypay, Dorset, Rideau Arcott and some with Merino. Also, gorgeous purebred Lincolns and some crossed with a bit of Rambouillet, Targhee and a wee bit of Jacob.
    If you want to send me your email, I would be happy to send pictures just for fun !
    If someone else is coming your way, I can let ewe know :)
    I have had Ron Keener transport and have heard that Russ Edgar is good too...
    Sometimes you can also catch someone who is traveling your way too.
    We were recently in NY attending our daughter's college graduation.
    What kind of sheep do you share your life with now ?

Deb
    eieio@smallbytes.net

17. Patty0315

Thanks , I have Icelandics , Jacobs , and some crosses. I am going to an all Icelandic flock I think. Were in NY did you go? I am by Ft Drum.

I would love another Donkey maybe I will check some more into transpost. I have a truck and trailer but at 9 miles to the gallon towing it is not nice.

Patty
    forbesfarm@msn.com

18. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie

lol okay wasn't trying to raise your hackles just didn't want you to be left defensless.

19. Patty0315

OK I have a trucker friend who will be as close as Chicago any chance of you meeting him ?

20. mathis

mathis Active Member

Sorry, but I don't have a trailer! :( Otherwise I could... I live 2 1/2 hours from Chicago, right next to Interstate 155.