Anyone near Spokane, Washington?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by limhyl, Sep 6, 2004.

1. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Yes, another geographic homesteading question. We will be retiring in four years or so are looking for a good spot. We are from Western WA originally but the price of land is just out of sight and the pace is just too crazy. Land seems more affordable in the east and there are amenities around Spokane if we get desperate. :rolleyes: Any feedback? Theresa.

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Lots of folks here from all around Spokane. What specifically do you want to know?

3. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

You may not have looked "west" enough. I am on the Olympic Peninsula and the land is still reasonable - especially if you can move farther away from Olympia.

4. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I'm about a half hour north of Spokane.

5. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Guess I just want to know how you all like it there. Pros and cons. The weather seems great although a lot drier than I'm used too. Do most people have irrigation for the garden? First frost, last frost dates? Deberosa, we need to be near a military base. Have looked near Bangor and Bremerton but property is still too expensive as we want large acreage. Theresa.

6. Paul Wheaton

Downside suprises:

Lots of uranium around here.
    No really good organic grocery on the north side.

I'm politically moderate and never thought about checking out the political climate before moving somewhere. Very right wing here. The conservative "hate radio" seems super popular. I looked up a local forum and found people saying very abusive things to each other.

Went to my daughter's softball game and stopped at a local grocery store to get something to read. Maybe a magazine or a book. The magazine book section was tiny, scarcely populated and covered in dust. But there were lots of "enquirer" type magazines at the checkout. I wondered if there might be a literacy/intelligence issue in the area.

One of the upside surprises has been that when you go to a store, the folks working at the store are usually very friendly. In some other places I've lived, they clerks/waiters/etc. can be impatient and rude. This might be an economic thing. Jobs are a little more scarce / lower paying here. People might be working a little harder to keep their job.

This is zone 5. Some people plant in early May. We get about 25 inches of rain per year. The downside is that, yes, you must irrigate. The upside is fewer bugs, molds and fungi.

7. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I'm in Walla Walla. I moved away 8 years ago after living here for 11 years. Moved back when I realized I actually like it. It's a lot quieter than some places I've lived, and the people are friendly. Lots of agriculture here. Several very nice small towns nearby.

8. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Paul, are you refering to the nuclear power plant? Or is there uranium in the soil? Do you get down to Spokane much. Surely they are more moderate in a city of that size? Theresa.

9. Paul Wheaton

There's an abandoned uranium mine about a hundred yards off of my property line.

I used to live in Missoula, Montana. They would have a farmers market on Saturday morning and at any given moment there were probably over a thousand people there. 40,000 people in Missoula. I went to the spokane farmers market and there were about five booths and six customers. Spokane has about a half million people.

I mentioned the thing about the health food stores.

Granted, these things are by no means proof, but they are spooky.

10. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

Guess if you want good organic type foods you have to go to Seattle. I know for a fact that they have a different mindset there. Too bad it's five hours away. Is Couer d'Alene any more progressive? It seems like the population would be more enlightened there as of late. Theresa.

11. bare

bare Head Muderator

Well heck, I did my four years in Missoula too, although it was in the early '70's. Always figured if I HAD to live in a city, that'd be it. Like most university towns Missoula's size, it has a good liberal feeling to it. Never spent much time in Moscow/ Pullman area, but I imagine it to be much the same as Missoula.

Spokane is south of me 150 miles, so visits as rare as can be arranged. Eastern Washington and North Idaho are very republican areas. Idaho's political climate is 85% republican.

I've never been to the Spokane farmers market, but I have been to C'da, Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry markets and they are all lively, and have wide varieties of food available.

Most folks who care about providing organic foods to their families, rely on Azure Standard for the things they can't grow or get locally. They'll UPS orders, or you can get free delivery once a month.

Our growing season up here is typically 90 days, not long, but you learn to deal with it.