Anyone mix their own feed?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by John Schneider, Nov 14, 2005.

1. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

I am not about to continue buying commercial feed for the rest of my hog farming career and have purchased an old Hammer Mill. I also have sourced out several organic grain producers. The problem I am having is to find out what ratios the grains can be milled together. I suppose I could mix a bunch and take samples to the lab for analysis, but maybe someone here could offer up some recipes that have worked for them. We mainly have peas, barley, wheat and canola around here.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

John, just determine the protein content of the various grains that you have access. Then determine how much soybean meal or other protein rich products that you need to mix based on the needs of the pigs. Young pigs need more protein and older hogs less depending on age/size. Very small pigs need around 16 percent protein and hogs reaching market size can manage on 12 %. The key is to always grind the least cost ration to achieve the desired protein level.

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

We crush our grain in our Hammer Mill for the pigs....just wheat and barley...and they get bread and scraps from the vege department of the local supermarket. But I know farmers that have a few pigs that dont feed grain and just potatoes or whatever else they get for nothing and their pigs do fine. :)

4. SpringCreek

SpringCreek Active Member

5. catfishcookin

catfishcookin Active Member

Do you have a website for Hammermill? How much did it cost? I have 20 hogs that we are buying a ton of feed for regularly and even with the ton discount, there has to be a cheaper way.

6. John Schneider

Catfish...you need to start hitting some of your local auctions and used ag. equipment dealers. I got two hammermills for under $100. One of them needed a motor and pulley and the other was a belt driven John Deere that was missing the ducting. I am having the ducting re-manufactured by a heating/ventilation company for around $100. I am willing to bet that you could find either an electric motor driven mill or a tractor drive for well under $500 if you didn't want to do any set up or restorations.

The more I read, the more confused I get on the subject. Lysmine, amino acids, iron, magnesium, calcium deficiencies etc. etc. I suspect, as is the case with a lot of things today, that you can take it as far as you want. Right now, I have ground some peas and have a wheat, oats, barley chop. I am mixing the two together with about 1/4 part peas. I will have to figure out the protein level. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to resort to my highschool math.

7. John Schneider

Catfish...if you shoot me an e-mail, I can send you a few photos of my mills.

8. John Schneider

Spring Creek...thanks for the pdf. it is a great publication with quite a bit of info. I had a chance to glance at it just now. I will read it in detail tonight.

9. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

We feed 850 oats, 850 barley, and 300 soybean meal to all our animals. We supplement with whatever else we can grow or find. We went to a bread store and got a pickup load of day old bread and snacks for $16. Everybody loves it.