Anyone make Rustic furniture?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jack in VA, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

I've got a lot of small pine trees(3-6 inch dia) on my lot that are falling over. Don't want to burn them. I've got a shop not being used. I've got lotsa time and some tools.
    Was thinking of making some simple, funky, rustic chairs, benches, etc.
    Anyone do this, or know of a good resource for plans. I also have other woods(typical native VA forest stuff) , but really wanna use the pine. Not really into the bent wood stuff. Thinking outdoor furniture or childrens furniture or even planters or outdoor "art".

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

when i lived in texas I worked for a company that was clearing off a huge tract of land for apartments. they were pushing good sized cedar trees over into piles so we loaded some up and took them home. I made one twin bed frame,one queen and one king and then run out of materials. All i did was peel the outer bark and knock the limbs off. left all the bumps etc. The trees were about as big around as a three litre drink bottle. I set them out in the yard and sold all three in one day and made almost 1000 dollars. i shoulda priced them higher. if i could find a steady source of cedar logs here then i would make them in my spare time and make some extra cash. i still have the joining cutter i bought for it eleven years later and have many times thought of making patio chairs etc.

3. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Sure, you can do this and it isn't difficult! If you have some basic carpentry skills and tools you should be all set. It isn't rocket science!

Go to eBay and do a search on "rustic" and you'll get a bunch of project ideas. Or go to the library and look at some magazines. There are quite a few books out there, too. Daniel Mack's probably are the most prominent. By looking at the pictures, I usually could figure out how to build something. Or I'd take, say, a chair I liked and measure it and use the same dimensions to keep it proportional.

Have fun and don't forget to show us some pictures of what you make! :)

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

There is also a book called "Building Bentwood Trellises" that has great instructions, if you would be interested in making those?

hollym