Anyone Make a COMFORTABLE Bed/couch combo?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oilpatch197, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I'm making plans to move out of my rental trailer into a very small house, because I got to control cost.

and I'm decided it's a two room home, a mutipurpose room and a bathroom.

so I remember sleeping over at grandmas house on her Hide away bed that was the couch most of the time, THAT THING WAS SOO LUMPY, AND MY BACK ACHED!

So does anyone make a good hide-away that is confortable as a regular matress(my space will be TIGHT!)

2. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Well, since Steve & I were always falling asleep in the living room, in front of the TV, we got rid of our regular couch years ago, and bought 2 twin beds, $100 for the pair. We put them like a corner group, an L shaped sofa now. I got really cool comforter sets (king size), they look like Longhorn cattle hide, tan with big brown patches. (called Pinto but looks like Longhorn to me). The sets had the dust ruffles too, for the bottoms. Since both twin beds are up against the wall, the comforter is folded in folds, there at the wall. You just lay down, and pull the extra folds over you, and walla, instant bed. :) The sets come with pillow covers too, if you get a king size, you get 2. I found these cool sets online for $50 apiece. Got one for the bedroom too, so now the living room and bedroom match. Looks VERY western.

We always sleep in the living room in the summer when it's hot, as the ceiling fan makes it cool in there, and the front door & window is open for the breeze. We will never go back to a regular sofa again, as the twin beds are so great as a sofa.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Just have to go to funiture store and try some out. From my experience, sleeper sofas make neither good sofas nor good beds. Best thing I can say for them is you can salvage a lot of strap steel out of them (recliner chairs also) which comes in handy welding up brackets.

Think Cindy had real idea there, get a twin bed, put durable cover on it and some cushions perpendicular around 3 sides for back and arms, then just remove these to use it as a bed.

Altenatively, Mom had a big ole sofa which was just right springyness to make the most comfortable place to sleep. Rarely run across a sofa that comfortable. Mattress makers should learn to make something that comfortable.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We have a good quality futon in our guest room. It has a Simmons innerspring futon mattress on it (~300 coil springs). It's as comfortable as any bed.

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I vote Futon also, but the twin bed idea is sure bouncing around in my head!!

6. bigrandy

bigrandy Member

A good quality futon

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

My rap on a fold-out sofa bed is, as a sofa, it is too soft. You tend to sag into the cushions since there isn't much support under them. I cut a piece of 5/8" plywood to go under the cushions. Makes it a bit hard, but better than too soft.

Well, I have two raps. Second is you wear out friends fast moving one.

Ken Scharabok

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'm thinking of pitching my sleeper sofa because it is neither a good bed nor a good sofa! And I think I prob won't take it with me when I move, just use it up till then.

Have you thought of a 'morris bed'? That is what I'm thinking of building for the LR in the house we will be building. I have plans for one in a book somewhere here (most of the books are packed). I don't much care for day beds or futon couches, they aren't comfortable to sit on during the day for me. I need more back support than they offer. But several good chairs and a pull down bed should work ok. Course then Amos and Tru will have to have their own bedroom since they use the living room now. <G> They would prefer to sleep with me, but they both want to sleep in the middle of the bed and so do I. Sides, Amos throws the kitty litter around so that he always has some in his fur and I do NOT like it in my bed.

9. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

One of my daughters when she was single lived in a tiny two room apartment. She had a foam sofa about as wide as a twin bed that folded out into a bed. No springs just solid foam and she found it comfortable to sleep on.It was easy to fold out and back in the morning. Put her closer to the floor when folded out than a standard sofa bed would but comfortable.

10. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Like Cindy we did away with the sofa and just put in a big platform and put a full sized mattress on it and lots of bolsters and cushions. It has a fitted slipcover that covers the mattress and platform. When we need the bed, we just whip off the slipcover to reveal the sheets and blankets underneath. The platform has a cubby hole underneath for extra comforters. Its like a big divan, the kind the sultan relaxes on surrounded by his harem girls. ;) :p

11. Jan Sears

Jan Sears Well-Known Member

Hi
    My Dad made me just such a thing when I lived in a one room apt. It was really neat concept. It was all made of wood. One arm was narrow while the other was wider which formed a bookcase. The back was a 2 ft. wide table type top. The sitting part was a platform on wheels that rolled out into a double bed & then half of it rolled back under the table type top. The platform had a good bed mattress on it with with big pillows for the sofa back. I used my table type top for putting my lamp on & my small TV. I still have the plans if you are interested. It is hard to describe it properly but it really looks very nice. Also very comfortable to sit on & to sleep on. I covered the mattress part with a double bed fitted sheet with matching pillow covers for the back cushions.
    All the best & I think that small is better.

12. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Long ago my parents had two twin beds that were in the basement "Rec" room. They bought these, but I'm sure you could also make your own if your handy. Anyway, the two beds were in the corner with a large wooden table, one bed on the one side was just out there and the second bed slipped under the table. They came with covers and looked like regular seating in an "L" shape, if guests needed sleeping arrangements the second bed (the short side of the "L" rolled out from under the corner table, TADA two beds. I think the twin bed idea is a good one, you can buy an inexpensive corduroy bed spread and use that as a cover (easier to clean then regular upholstery, just throw it in the wash). You can also buy (or have someone make) large bolster pillows for the backside, against the wall out of heavy foam rubber (which is what the set my parents had).

Just an added thought here, a twin size bed is easier to move then a sofabed (them suckers are heavy). Even I can move a twin bed. :D

13. sheeplady

sheeplady Well-Known Member

I'm guessing by your post, that its just you . Get a good twin size bed, forget the headboard. Push it against the wall, get a daybed cover, everyplace sells them now, and put a pile of pillows along the back and instant couch! :) Or just get a nice quilt to cover it.
    All the previous posts are right about sofa beds. Too heavy to move, mattress's are lousy, and the sofa is too soft. Plus they cost way too much. :rolleyes: Just my opinion.

14. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can find one cheap, might thing of a loft bed. Like a bunk bed with no lower bunk. Room underneath for a sofa.

Leva

15. pamintexas

pamintexas Well-Known Member

Due to limited space in our family room, I bought a sleeper sofa that is love seat size, just a bit wider than a twin size bed. It looks good, is very comfortable as a sofa and fairly comfortable as a bed. It's a little firm for my liking. But, you could always add one of those foam tops for extra softness. It's a snap to pull out and put away, too.

16. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Thirty years ago I had a "Howard" rec room sofa- a little narrower than a twin bed, exposed wood arms, foam seat and the 2 back cushions pulled off and if you were under 5 ft 8 inches, it made a comfortable, if somehat narrow, bed. I really miss it. (Lost it in the divorce from the first !!!)

17. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Great Ideal!

But won't it be hotter being up closer to the ceiling?

18. sundew

sundew Active Member

My suggestion might not be appropriate not knowing your decor.
    Make a "hanging" bed. ya can use pulleys to bring it down from ceiling. mount on hinges and fold up to wall-decorating the wood that shows while up.
    I live in a 600 sq.ft. cabin.And the space saved is amazing! Hanging bed is soo relaxing. I sleep on a camping air mattress, finding that I sleep better with no back ache. Dog tore up mattress and bought one till I could purchase a new mattress- that was 6 years and two air mattress ago. The cost is so small. If you do try air mattress-Put wool blanket down then padding & sheets, will keep you warm.
    sundew

19. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

CraftyDiva, I had one of those corner groups in my bedroom when I was in high school. The big table in the corner had a lid that lifted with a turntable inside. It had brown slipcovers with bolsters, looked just like a sofa during the day. Back then Montgomery Wards was the only place to shop, so musta been where my parents got it. Wonder why they don't make those anymore? They are so cool, especially when I had a friend stay over. The twin beds were on big fat wheels and moved really easy.

20. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

Do you like hammocks? (The cloth kind, not the net-kind.) You might consider hanging hooks from the ceiling joists--one hook close to the wall, and another a sufficient distance from it. During the day, hang both ends of the hammock from the hook nearest the wall so that it's out of the way. At night, just move one end of the hammock to the other hook so that it's nicely spread for you to sleep in. You could invest in a nice comfortable hammock and just use a sleeping bag if you needed warmth. I have a friend who shared a trailer with some friends during college. He did this since there was no room for a bed in his tiny bedroom.