Anyone made a wall-tent for hunting?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ann Mary, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

My husband wanted me to ask if anyone here has made a wall-tent like the kind they sell for $$. What did you make it out of and did you find a good source for the canvas or tarps? Did it work well? Thanks! :hand:

2. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Never made a tent, but a bunch of us made a temporary hunting cabin one year (long ago) from hay bales and tarps. Stack the bales into a room, put poles across the top and cover with pine boughs. Cover with a blue tarp and you're all set. Warm and dry with a kerosene heater.

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

We made a frame out of 2"x4" and attached tarps to it for several years till someone took the boards then for 20$ we built a new frame. Beautiful cook house / dining area for less than 100$. We use an old storm door in a frame and clear vinyl attached with duct tape for windows. Watch all year for some old carpet to put down. Home Sweet Home.

mikell

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

On internet try Tipi's. Alot of makers also make canvas tarps and tents. Also in the back of Fur Fish and Game magazine or Pererson's Hunting in ad section. shadowwalker

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

One of the guys we hunted out west with had a brother who ran an awning shop. He had his brother make three for us. One was quite large and was our main tent where we slept and everything. A smaller one was for gear and another was a 3 sided deal we used for cooking and lounging around outside. Really nice tents. I have no clue as to what he paid for them. Buying them from cabelas or someplace they would have been hideously expensive.

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Tarps can be made into all kinds of shelters!

7. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

He was looking for ideas on an easy-to-put-up and down kind of a tent. Then we could use it in the summer too. The guys he is hunting with have a nice but expensive one with canvas tarps and a woodstove in them. Just looking for ideas from people who have them or made one.

8. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

I made a VERY cheap wall tent some years back. But I built it on a flat bed trailer. My trailer had 'stake pockets', a loop of steel meant to accept a slightly tapered 2X4 and support it as an upright member. Normally, people use these to build temporary side panels on a flat bed trailer.

I simply drilled the lateral upright 2X4's to accept carriage bolts. The stake pockets at the center front of the trailer held 8' long 2X4s. I had to build a 'gable truss' that stretched across the rear of the trailer, where there wasn't a stake pocket. I used wingnuts and washers on the end of the carriage bolts. It took about ten minutes to set the vertical members and horizontal side members. The gabled members were also affixed with carriage bolts and wingnuts. The ridge member just dropped into a notch I cut on the gable ends.

Two 20'X8' poly tarps wrapped around the sides and front of the trailer. Then a 16'X12' poly tarp draped over the top ridge to overlap the sides. That made for a 'breathable' tent, but would shed water quite well. The back end of the trailer required two 8'X8' poly tarps. They overlapped several feet.

Prior to stretching the tarps with cheap shock cord bungees, I laid some strips of ethafoam (just cut up a couple of cheap trail pads) over the sharp edges of the 2'X4's and duct taped them down. I covered the wood floor of my trailer with additional trail pads (I had them duct taped together and rolled them out in one piece like a carpet), then rolled out a piece of astroturf over them.

This el-cheapo rig cost me just $100 or so (scrounged the 2X4s). But I was the envy of the deer camp. When the sun had everyone baking in their wall tents, I just towed mine over to the shade and used some cardboard scraps to prop open the 'vents' along the upper edge. When the weather turned real cold, I duct taped all the overlap seams for a more airtight tent. Being up off the cold ground, we were pretty warm without supplemental heating. I guess if someone in real cold country wanted a toasty warm tent, they could put hooks on the inside of the 2X4s and make a double walled tent, or double up on the ethafoam floor padding. It was cheap, and gave my 16' utility trailer an extra use.

9. I've been pondering on making myself some kind of a wall tent also. Here's some ideals that I have. Make two large circular hoops out of pvc.(the diameter of tent your prefer) In those hoops have approximatel 5 or 6 pvc tee's in place to place the wall pvc studs upright. Place your tent fabric around the frame, which should be long enough to go all the way around the circular frame. Fasten with felco strips that you have sewn on both the top of the tent frabric and the bottom. The end wall fabric should overlap so as to have a closable door using velcro also.

The roof would be consist of one long pvc pole that would stab into the ground and hold the center of the top frabric up. The fabric should be one big circular piece that would drap down over the walls and fasten to the top frame with velcro also. May need to make another circular hoop installed about half way from the top frame to the center roof to help with rain runoff.

What's stopping me from making mine? I don't know where to get the fabric, how to sew the fabric like I want it and seems like I'm broke all the time anymore.

10. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

r.h. your tent sounds almost like a teepee, but not totally cone shaped and it uses PVC instead of lodge pole pine. Some of the blackpowder suppliers sell canvas, but I think it is a little expensive. Plastic tarps are a small possibility, however, I would worry about excessive condensation since the plastic does not breath. Not sure the smoke vent hole at the top would be sufficiant to stop condensation.

11. palongrifle

palongrifle Active Member

I have been hand sewing a Baker style lean-to. Why hand sewing? I am a historical re-enactor and sewing machines where not around yet. Why a Baker style? Don't know - found out later it wasn't as historically correct as I had though. Anyway, bought the canvas from Dick Blick Art Supply - my tent is small so I went with heavy duty 14 oz canvas. I'm using 2"x2" treated lumber posts. Bought "Canvac" waterproofing from Cabela's - more economical than a bunch of linseed oil.
    Don't hand sew it unless you have to, and if it's going to be very large (over 10' x 10'), go with a lighter canvas or it will be too heavy to carry - maybe not. Mine has a sod cloth, floor, front flap for extra weight.

12. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

Just remember, If you built one like a "WALL" tent then the canvas will be very heavy. If you make one out of the light weight plastic style tarps then it would be much easier to move and erect by oneself.

13. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

I have been debating over a wall tent or teepee for quite some time. There are plans for teepee on the internet and I haven't searched for the wall tent. I'm sure my husband could do the wall tent frame out of wood. I have the canvas...given to me. It will need to be pieced together but I can sew so not too concerned. Some of it has a few stains on it but if a wall tent, I thought I could tea stain it and a teepee could be painted with cool design.
    Keep adding ideas...this may be next summer's project!