Anyone living in WV?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Farmer K, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Farmer K

Farmer K Homesteader-@-Heart

I've been looking at property in western WV. I am wondering if anyone lives in that area and can tell me about the climate, soils, the people, etc? I will eventually take a trip down there as well. The land is inexpensive and looks beautiful. Thanks for your replies!

Kelly

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Me! Me! Pick me!!

Um, actually, I've only been living in WV for a little over a month. I'm originally from Atlanta, GA. DH and I looked for a little over two years before buying land here. We also looked in Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Georgia. We decided on WV because the land is reasonable, the people are friendly, and sometimes you can buy property with free gas.

Being new, I can't talk about the state as a whole, some of it is very mountainous and I'm guessing some of it is flatter but I don't know how flat it gets. We are in the foothills, near Glenville. Here the soil is good, but it's hard to find much flat land; most of it is pretty steep hillsides. The piece of property we bought has a bit of flat valley land and several hillsides suitable for grazing.

The woods in the state are mostly hardwoods. Not many evergreens.

There are no restrictions at all where we live, which is a big plus.
    Agriculture seems to be beef cattle, sheep, and some dairy cattle.
    I'm interested in hogs and nobody around here raises hogs. I'll be a trend setter ;)

The area I live in gets a lot of rain, almost 40 inches per year.
    I've never lived where it snows and we've not been here for a winter yet so I don't know much about that.

It got really hot this summer - 93 to 95. I'd expect that in Atlanta, but everyone here was complaining. Us, too, because the farm house doesn't have air conditioning.

For the most part, the people are poor - jobs are scarce.

Folks are super friendly. They will stop and give you detailed directions, and explain landmarks, stuff like that. They aren't in a hurry to get rid of you. We haven't had *anyone* treat us like outsiders. *Everyone* has been delighted we're here. That surprised us.

Schools are decent but not spectacular, but I've found that a kid gets out of school whatever they put into it. A lot of a child's school experience is due to the parents involvement and attitude.

Churches in our area are mostly Methodist or non-denominational "community" churches. Most towns of any size have a community center; we went to a barbecue in one this weekend. There are a lot of auctions. There are tons of deer, and turkey. Everything smells sweet, like a meadow from a dream. We don't get tornados (that I know of - a big happy change from living in GA).

That's all I can think of right now, but ask if I didn't mention something that you're interested in.

3. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Turtlehead must be one of my new neighbors. I've lived near Glenville for about ten years. I grew up in WV but farther north. near Clarksburg. Turtlehead pretty much laid it out. I doubt you'll find friendlier folks.

Two things to keep in mind are the potential for flooding and the right of ways that may be associated with any property. There's lots of oil and gas activity in this area which means well tenders have the right to access the well locations. If someone else owns the oil and gas rights you may find a rig showing up to drill a new well since the market for gas is up.

As for flooding be cautious about property with a house near a stream. I can help you further if you're looking at such a property.

4. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

I am from southern WV the area is much like the lady from Glenville said. I have lived here for 44years and I reckon this is where they will put me in the ground. Just remember dont try to change the native hillbillys and every thing will be just fine.

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I'm in northcentral WV. Best to come down and see it before deciding. We talk about distances in time to get there vs. miles. I'm a bit over an hour north of the Glenville folks. :baby04:

Growing season is March 15-October 15 give or take a few weeks. Humidity is high in the summer (I'm guessing it is in Jersey too) and we had many 90+ degree F days this past summer. Pay attention to flood zones and don't buy there. Check out our Market Bulletin available online now for farms for sale. Do a search as I don't have a link handy.....its put out by the state. You can get an idea about farm animals and land for sale.

Good luck.