Anyone live in the Alleghany River Valley in PA?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jan 17, 2007.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

From Warren down to say... clairon area??? Do y'all get hit with lake effect snow pretty good over there, or are you out of range? I've been thinking of buying a place over there. You can get hunting cabins cheap enough, that's for sure. Been looking at the Tidioute area. I just love sayin Tidioute... LOL.

2. cider

cider Well-Known Member Supporter

That's God's country Bob! It's beautiful there. Don't know about the snow though.

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i considered moving there if i ever had to move. it is nice up that way.

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Ohio river valley? And on the Mon when I was young?

5. veme

veme Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Bob! :)
    We were looking to move over that way last Spring but not as far East as Tidioute.

We were going to move & sell because a "Housing Development" :flame: is coming to the South of us. We were looking all around Buells Corners & Spartansburg & Cory.

Yes there is Lake Snow Effect. Some of my husband's family live over that way.
    Lots of Amish have moved/are moving into the area & they are living pretty rough. No jobs, bad schools - real bad medical care. Summertime campers are a pain for the locals ( quads tearing up private ground& partying all night long. Hunting season is a nightmare :grump: .

That said, there are some very good buys in housing - raw land is so-so priced.
    People are friendly and some views are like Heaven.
    Good Luck.
    veme

ps
    Never found a place as nice as ours so we decided to stay & strip for Limestone,Sand & Gravel. That has put the "Housing Development" on hold for about 20 years.....no kidding :hobbyhors

6. heather

heather Well-Known Member

yes, lots of snow

dh & I used to camp there a lot & work there doing field surveys for a private conservation group

it's beautiful country - bears, deer, etc....

we had a friend & family move up there last year but they moved back because of no jobs, but if you're looking at a camp, I think it would be great

the locals are pretty friendly & helpful

some areas you'd need a quad to get around

7. seedspreader

I am actually looking at a house on the west side of the river so perhaps that would eliminate *some* of the interference from seasonal campers since it doesn't but up against alleghany national park. Of course a couple of the hunting camps I was looking at are on the east side of the river.

Jenn, nope, not the Ohio River Valley, much further north.

It's good about the snow, I LOVE snow and lake effect would be fine with me.

8. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

I was born and grew up in Warren and my dad lived in Tidioute for many years. Great Area.....if you love camping without all the frills try Hearts Content area. Love it up there...no noise..just serious campers so you don't get all the rif raff and lots of hiking trails. Here's another place I love..http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/chapman.aspx It's a great place to camp and there are camps all around there also and the hunting is great.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/allegheny/
    They get lake effect somewhat but not as bad as we get it up here...which is about 75 miles from Warren next to lake Erie. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

9. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Hi Bob! My Dad's family live in that area. It's beautiful country. You might have a good look at the water situation. My uncle has been at their place for 40 years or so, and they've had several wells drilled, and still have a hard time not running out of water in summer. DH is doing a job in Tionesta right now.

10. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Don't know about Warren but I spend some time up in Clarion County, have a friend up there, and they don't seem to get tons of snow from what I can tell, at least not in the last few years--a bit more than what we get here, but really nothing like Buffalo or whatever. It's really, really beautiful up there--lots of rolling hills, fields, woods, Amish buggies going down the road, some cute little towns. We've considered moving up that way someday, when our work schedules/requirements change.

11. e.alleg

e.alleg Well-Known Member

I'm a bit north east in Allegany County, NY. In PA taxes are cheaper than in NY, in any case there are great deals to be found anywhere in this area, Potter County PA is real nice as well. I wouldn't live in Bradford if you paid me, I hate the smell of oil.

12. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I just bought a camp about 5 miles NW of Tidioute in October of last year. Cabin on 10 acres off a dirt road surrounded by miles of forest, the closest neighbor is 3/4 mile away. Will be moving up there full time this spring and can't wait! Guess I'll get to see what the winters are like!

13. seedspreader

Did you get a good deal and do you have water.

14. seedspreader

Duly noted on the water, that's a perfect thing for me to watch. I appreciate the heads up.

15. seedspreader

Thanks, we've camped over there for the past 10 years or so. We love the area also.

16. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that I got a really good deal, but it is a really nice cabin with a kitchen, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, and a large 20 ft. x 20 ft. living room with a great stone fireplace. I have a septic with a drainfield and my water is spring water pumped into the cabin. Plus the secluison is a big plus. I live near the Allentown area and I know something like this parcel here would have costed me 3 times what I paid for it. Definitly check out the water situation on any property that you're considering buying, and possibly have the water tested. The realtor that I had mentioned that alot of places had bad water due to runoff or minerals. Afew places have what they call blacklight systems, which is an ultaviolet light that that the incoming water passes through to kill any bacteria. Also make sure the septic is up to snuff also, a home inspection could save you huge headaches in the long run. If you need any realtor websites I could give you afew. I used to see ALOT of great places for sale, but didn't have the money at the time. When spring rolls around there is more places listed. I don't know if you hunt or not, but I'm a member of www.huntingpa.com. It's a great site to learn alot and ask questions. There' s always posts about people asking about places for sale and the areas they're interested in. Bunch of good guys on there and you can get information on almost anything!

17. seedspreader

Thanks for the heads up!

18. stef

stef Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi ZYG
    I've lived most of my life in W PA, primarily NWPA.
    I80 seems to form some kind of meteorlogical line of demarcation.
    South of I80 ( towards Butler or Pittsburgh) is slightly milder, more sunshine.

Between I90 (by Erie, PA) and south to Union City snow (most years) is common and can be considered part of the snowbelt.

From Union City and on south, most of our big snows come from the south or west. However, we get snow and/or ice up through April.

Homes around here are relatively cheap. You can find some really nice places starting around $35K. Might even have some land with it.

It's beautiful around these parts, but, as others have said, it's economically depressed.

But that doesn't have to influence your decision if it's what God wants you to do. (not that you said He did :) )
    Stef

19. seedspreader

Mum's the word... LOL. I am going to have to PM you sometime now.

20. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

you may want to check out areas a bit more southeast towards (but not too close to) raystown lake. it is a bit milder down this way. i love the areas around altoona.