Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am going to get a job offer up in N. Minnesota. Mt Iron, MN. What is it like? It is horribly, horribly cold?

·
Banned
1,184 Posts
FF,

I live in Northern Wisconsin, which is really a long way from Northern Minnesota!! But I can tell you that here we usually have a week or two of -15 to -30 temps, doesn't bother me as I really don't like temps above about 70. Summers we have fairly nice temps, though as with the cold spells in winter we have a summer heat wave or two with temps in the 90s to low 100s, URK!!!

It is beautiful today, right now it is 70 degrees with a light wind and awesome blue skies!!

Margie

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
Wind In Her Hair, mind if I ask whereabouts in northern Minnesota you guys are? I'm looking at applying for a job at the National Park up in International Falls; I'm from Maine, so I'm used to the cold, but cold enough to freeze a bubble in midair... yeah. That's cold. Heh.

What's the cost of living like up your way? I sort of looked around online to get an idea of rents and such, but I had trouble finding much.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Faustus said:
Wind In Her Hair, mind if I ask whereabouts in northern Minnesota you guys are? I'm looking at applying for a job at the National Park up in International Falls; I'm from Maine, so I'm used to the cold, but cold enough to freeze a bubble in midair... yeah. That's cold. Heh.

What's the cost of living like up your way? I sort of looked around online to get an idea of rents and such, but I had trouble finding much.
I Falls isn't called the "icebox of the nation" for nothing. lol The area is also famous for summer mosquito populations. You can generally count of the early December snow on the ground to stay until around end of March or early April. If you like winter sports like snowmobilling, ice fishing, cross country skiiing...it's the place for you. Otherwise, it's a beautiful area.
As far as gardening, the zone is 3 most years. Some years close to 4 or 2.
Last spring frost date around end of May. First fall frost date around the first week of September.

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh...my.... :(

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But is it mostly sunny? Where I live now, the weather doesn't get too too cold in the winter, but it always always gray and depressing.

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*is sad*

I really want to leave my job. I get panic attacks thinking about being trapped here for the rest of my life. Enough that I'd be willing to move...but...I just don't want to go someplace where I will be even more miserable.

I'm not a cold weather girl. In fact, I have cold induced asthma. On the other hand...I can be a happy indoor girl. And the job relocates a lot.

When I look at it as there being no difference btw getting the job in my hometown then being relocated to MN and just starting out at MN then it doesn't seem so bad.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I live in northwestern Minnesota- 50 miles east of Grand Forks North Dakota and 90 miles south of the Canadian border. We have only had a few of those really cold days the past few years. The rest of the winters have been warm and sunny. By warm I mean in the 20's. That is warm for this area in winter. The past two years we had bare ground for Thanksgiving and only had a total of five inches of snow all winter! One thing about the cold is- you can always warm up somehow, but if you live where it is hot it is harder to cool off. Your body actually gets used to the cold. I have gone outside when it was below zero and it really doesn't feel all that cold.. this is for trips to the mail box etc.
Good luck with the job.

·
Übernerd
502 Posts
I Falls isn't called the "icebox of the nation" for nothing.
Uh oh. Is that what it's called? Nah, I'm not totally freaked out by the temperatures, and we do snow in April/cold and gray in Maine to some extent (though I'm from the southern part, where it's usually tempered by the ocean), but like I said, freezing bubbles is cold. Just driving through southern parts of Minnesota when we visited were nice, though, and the pictures I've seen of the north really are gorgeous. I don't mind loads of snow if the job doesn't suck and the scenery's good. The people out in Minnesota were really nice and helpful when we were there, as well. It actually reminded me a bit of Maine in some ways.

One thing about the cold is- you can always warm up somehow, but if you live where it is hot it is harder to cool off. Your body actually gets used to the cold.
This is definitely true. Having done Maine winters all through childhood before moving to southern Japan after college, where the summers were really hot and humid, I'm pretty sure that I'll take cold any day, so long as I get a reasonably well-insulated house. The heat out around Vegas and other places I've been, even the dry stuff, was pretty oppressive. Of course, I've also applied for an NP job out at Carlsbad Caverns, which is pretty much the opposite of northern Minnesota! Landscape and temp-wise, I think I'd be happier in Minnesota. If they offer me the job at Int. Falls, I'm jumping on it for sure- it would mean I could possibly start homesteading in some capacity way sooner than anticipated, which would be a big plus!

Anyway, thanks for all the info. Part of the problem in looking for apartments in Maine and New Hampshire is that so much of New England is becoming hyper-touristy now that it's getting really difficult to find reasonable rents in areas where there are actually jobs. I'd be happy to move up to potato country somewhere, but it's tough getting work up that way. That's one advantage of the Parks Service- a gig with them lets you live in the middle of nowhere and make a reasonable paycheck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts