anyone know why my tomatoes are so messed up?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by VVG, Aug 23, 2005.

1. VVG

VVG Member

They were planted kinda late but grew well and flowered in the heat. Plenty of water. The variety is called carnival. They are all split at the top really bad and they split on the sides with big open fissures. really sad have to just throw them away . they are 8 plants from the same place and they all look like this. HMMM..

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like to much water.

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

cracking is usually caused by uneven watering.

4. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, inconsistent watering, but with a period where they were not watered for a longer time and during that time the tomato plant decided how big the tomato was going to be. Then more water inside a skin that was too small and burst (cracks). The skinonly grows for so long before it will grow no more.

5. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

You don't have to throw the split tomatoes away - you can use them. If you don't want to just cut out the cracked parts and eat the rest, cut out the cracked parts and quarter them and put them in a pot and cook them up and make something out of them. Stewed tomatoes, sloppy joe sauce, chili sauce (the stuff like ketchup, not the stuff with beans), ketchup, tomato juice, tomato jam -- lots of stuff comes to mind. When you grow veggies yourself, they don't all come out looking like the bland cloned stuff we see in the supermarket. Good luck.

MaryNY

6. fishtrap3

fishtrap3 Well-Known Member

I guess I just learned why my tomatoes are spliting also, This is great I just keep reading and learning all kinds of stuff from this site.
    thanks fishtrap3

7. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

The best way I know to grow tomatoes is in a raised bed covered with either red or black plastic and a drip irrigation hose underneath. Water thoroughly on a regular basis - I do once a week in south central Texas. The moisture level stays even and the tomatoes just grow and grow.

The even watering also prevents blossom end rot.

8. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

great advice.One thing I've noticed is that when I stake tomatoes they crack easier becausethe ground dries and gets wet, uneven water. When I let them lay on the ground that isn't a problem but blossom end rot is more common, then