Anyone know where besides Leymans...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ChristenaTN, Sep 7, 2004.

1. ChristenaTN

ChristenaTN Active Member

I could get one of those thingies that you can put several taters in at once and cuts them up? Its so agravating to sit there and cut up as many as it takes for our family without looking for somethign to make it a bit easier on my hands. This thingie(do'nt know what its real name is sorry) has like a box that you put taters. Then it is run over a blade of sorts and thus you get cut up taters. I konw someone here must know what I"m talking about. I apologize for not know what to call this contraption:) Anyone ?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Would this thing be a food processer? Wally World has them. The old fashioned slaw cutter, or grater have a potato slicer on one side. Run potatoes through the slaw cutter and fry up the best skillet on hash brown a goin.
    The food processer will slice or shred them one at a time.
    Boil them with the jackets on and serve them that way. Then everyone gets to peel and cut up his own tater.

3. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Sounds like you want a french fry cutter. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one in years.

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Try eBay. Search under potato slicer, french fry (or fries) cutter, potato cutter or whatever else you can think of. One option is to search on potato and then look at the categories to the left. Search those which seem to be equipment related.

Older models tend to produce larger fries. Newer ones are smaller. You may be surprised at the amount of force needed to push a large potato through one of these.

Ken Scharabok

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I'm almost positive that Northern Tools carries them.

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

How are you trying to cut them up...for fries or into slices? I really like using a mandolin to slice a variety of thicknesses and potatoes work really well on it. Mine is from Pampered Chef, but there are better, less plastic versions out there.

7. Eric in TN

Eric in TN Member

Ditto on Northern Tool - www.northerntool.com - they have an apple/potato slicer or the french fry "presses" that make 25 or 49 fries at a time.