anyone know of a natural flea repellent ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 1!2donkeyacres, Aug 14, 2004.

1. 1!2donkeyacres

1!2donkeyacres Member

I'm trying to find a safe flea repellant for our five week old kittens and something other than insect repellant for the kids(human) not goat.Any ideas?

2. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Tansy; an herb. Smells nasty, but keeps away bugs. Probably would be better to get some storebought spray w/Citronella or just put a few drops of Citronella essential oil on betweenthe shoulders of the babies... JUST A DROP OR TWO, tops!

3. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I put about a tablespoon of brewers yeast into my kitty's bowl. Never has failed me yet.

4. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

you can dust the kittens with DE (diotomatious earth) It kills the fleas by mechanical action not chemical so it is completely safe. Do it outside so you don't inhale the dust as it can be irritating. Not sure you'd want to dust your kids though. :eek: Theresa.

5. "I'm trying to find a safe flea repellant for our five week old kittens"

People in many parts of the world grow their own, there is a crysthanimum (sp) and the leaves have a prytherium like chemical that is natural and effective.

That being said, Natural does not mean without harm, so use the lowest amount that will achieve the desired results and consult with a more knowledgable source before using on your Kids.

6. Herb.

Herb. Well-Known Member

Try Eucalyptse (sp) oil, either rub it on with a cotton ball or mix it with water and spray, but stand back the fleas will really be jumping off and could get on you. My wife used to do this for the animals and kids, doesn't remember what the ratio of oil to water was for the spray so you will have to experiment.

7. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Just make certain you don't get any of the herbs or oils into the kittens or grown kitties eyes. best wishes!

8. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

put a little garlic in the kittens food, it works great on the dogs

9. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

Pennyroyal is supposed to work.