Anyone know how to make stearin from tallow?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by antiquestuff, Mar 11, 2005.

1. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Anyone have any instructions for making stearin, a.k.a. stearic acid, from tallow? I'm talking about home rendered beef tallow....I'd like to know how to make it myself instead of buying it, since I can make tallow so much cheaper than stearic acid, and stearic acid is supposed to be able to be made from tallow, sooo....any idea? All I've found are real general instructions describing industrial methods, not very practical at home, and I'm sure it can be done at home...

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

3. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

I saw that-but it isn't specific to a good enough degree-for example, it doesn't specify the temperature the melted fat is brought to/kept at.
    Thanks for trying though, it is rather frustrating-I am kind of wondering if it is kept rather secret by the companies making it. I did read articles from the civil war where people were trying to make it for their candles-and it took a while. It makes wonderful tapers for lighting-they burn quite brightly, which is why I like it for when I don't use my lamps for light.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.