Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meh.

We have a new neighbor moving in. He's owned the property for about 20 years, and has lived here before for several years back in the 90's -- when this area was off the grid and REALLY isolated -- but nobody really knows him because he hasn't lived here in over a decade and the neighborhood has mostly changed. He's a hoarder (this is clear from his property) and he's on hard times. I just can't get a read on him. I think he's an artistic hoards-everything-to-recycle-it (for art projects, construction materials, etc) hippy type who doesn't mind living off the grid and is most likely harmless. I've stalked him online a bit and found where he's put in applications for grants for public art projects (with lots of public interaction with said art projects-- he strikes me as really sociable, so that matched up), and he's said a few things that made me want to like him. I think he's going to be okay.

But this is a very tiny, isolated, community. If my father's out of town, I am the only woman for half a mile. And he was a bit overly friendly with me -- I couldn't figure out if he was trying to hit on me (I am so not dating a neighbor -- that's even worse than dating a coworker) or if he was just the human version of a big friendly puppy.

So, because I'm the suspicious sort, I checked out the online criminal records.

And there are two people with the same name that come up. One guy -- who I think is our new neighbor --- has a two minor traffic tickets (one of which was probably just a cracked windshield -- I'm driving around right now with a cracked windshield because I don't have the $ to fix it, so LOL, I can't fault him for that!) and one contracting violation that was dismissed.

The other guy has a very scary and very long criminal record including burglary, forced entry (home invasion?) and rape and is the highest level of registered sex offender. Yikes.

So ... need a mug shot. Need to know who I'm dealing with.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, nevermind. I just found Artsy Guy's date of birth online. Artsy guy is our neighbor. Scary Sex Offender With the Same Name is definitely somebody else. Whew.

So, yay. New neighbor.

Hopefully he fits in -- we currently have ten full time residents in the entire community, and maybe a dozen more people who are "regulars" with vacation/summer homes. I still can't get a read on him. He seems really friendly, and I'm not sure if he's just naturally really friendly or if he's the type to ingratiate himself with people. Time will tell. I need to talk to the locals who knew him back when he lived here before and see what they say.

(Oh, and we found out that someone had stolen a lot of stuff off his property and vandalized more. It's RIGHT across the street from us. We've never had anything go missing here, ever. We generally leave our house unlocked, vehicle keys in ignitions, tools laying out, etc. We trust all our neighbors and strangers are really unusual. We've never heard anything. This is disturbing, because it's such a remote area, and to get to the property would either require driving up the road -- and we'd have noticed that -- or accessing his property from the back. He backs up to forest service land, and while there is a "road" back there on FS land, it's in such rough shape that I have a hard time getting a quad down it. It's difficult to even walk through the canyon his place backs up to. I ride a Polaris Sportsman that can handle some pretty gnarly terrain. I can't see anyone in the community stealing anything and I can't figure out how anyone else would have managed it. Someone was VERY sneaky.)

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just connected the dots and filled in the blanks with various online resources. You'd be amazed at what information is out there if you know how to look. ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a bio online on a website that mentioned his age by searching for his name and current (soon to be previous) town. I didn't need a complete date of birth, just an approximate year, because the two guys were decades apart in age. If I needed a complete date of birth, I could probably get it off Ancestry.com or similar. *shrug*

The other way you can usually figure out someone's age is to find out what "class of" they graduated with. Most people list their schools on facebook or similar, and if you assume graduation at 18 and you know what class of they were, you can figure it out an age. There's a lot of high school yearbook information available online.

I verified he was living where he said he was before moving up here by looking up the parcel's tax information with the county assessor's database. It gave his current (soon to be former) mailing address. That let me establish that he was the same guy as mentioned in the little bio I found. (He's an artist, iirc it was a biography blurb for something art related.)

As far as tracking down criminal records, most states have a database you can search. It's usually not complete for Arizona, but it's enough to get basic info.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ETA: This makes me look vaguely creepy, but this is such a small community. One "bad guy" in the community could change the entire dynamic here. Right now, I don't even know WHERE the keys are to my front door. I've lived in an area where I wasn't comfortable walking to the mailbox without carrying a sidearm due to crime, so I've lived in both extremes and I just wanted to make sure the new guy wasn't going to be an issue.

I really think he's a nice guy -- no bad vibes after a long talk with him. Unless I missed something in talking to him (and I'm usually a really good judge of character), he'll probably be a nice addition to the neighborhood.

My dog likes him too. She tries to eat bad guys. LOLOLOL.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just going to ask about your dog's reaction. That's good news. I would however make sure he hears or sees you doing target practice.

Peg
I'm not sure I would scare anyone with my target shooting, except possibly innocent bystanders. :runforhills:

I do routinely carry an old vintage pistol that is big and scary looking in summer due to rabid critters, and I may start carrying it again. We've been having issues with Stupid Hunters being aggressively territorial about "their" favorite spot in the national forest over the last few weeks, so it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to start packing again anyway until idiot, err, elk season is over. :gaptooth:

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I found a bio online on a website that mentioned his age by searching for his name and current (soon to be previous) town. I didn't need a complete date of birth, just an approximate year, because the two guys were decades apart in age. If I needed a complete date of birth, I could probably get it off Ancestry.com or similar. *shrug*

The other way you can usually figure out someone's age is to find out what "class of" they graduated with. Most people list their schools on facebook or similar, and if you assume graduation at 18 and you know what class of they were, you can figure it out an age. There's a lot of high school yearbook information available online.

I verified he was living where he said he was before moving up here by looking up the parcel's tax information with the county assessor's database. It gave his current (soon to be former) mailing address. That let me establish that he was the same guy as mentioned in the little bio I found. (He's an artist, iirc it was a biography blurb for something art related.)

As far as tracking down criminal records, most states have a database you can search. It's usually not complete for Arizona, but it's enough to get basic info.
Thank you so much for taking time to let us know how you did that.

·
Registered
938 Posts
is your father a girl ? if he is an old hippie,maybe he is just lookin for some free lovin :kiss: BAHAHHH juist kiddin

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Not creepy at all. I've done it too on a few people and yes, it's amazing what you can find out about a person thru their digital footprint. I've wiped myself from the Internet.
WHAT DID YOU DO to necessitate hiding?

*points from my eyes to you*

I kid, lol. Just funny the way that sounded.

Cygnet, I don't blame you. I check crime websites occasionally. I like to know if I can chat with neighbor guy or if that is the stupidest idea since stupid began. Just knowing what is around you is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is your father a girl ? if he is an old hippie,maybe he is just lookin for some free lovin :kiss: BAHAHHH juist kiddin
He's not getting any from me. I have zero desire to date a neighbor, particularly one who's right across the street. I don't need the potential drama if it goes sour. I like my nice low-drama life.

Now, if he wants buddy to ride quads or hunt/fish with, that would be nice. Just so long as he treats me like I'm one of the guys and not a potential girlfriend, we'll get along just fine. :D:D:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts