anyone know anything about Zetor or belaruse tractors?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hermitfarmer, Jun 23, 2004.

1. hermitfarmer

hermitfarmer Active Member

I forgot to add this one but does anyone have a suggestion on the belaruse or a Zetor Tractors? Thats it for today.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The belaruse is made in the old russia and they are not known for haveing their metal compounds up to date with the worlds more industrial standards. In other words the gears strip easely. The other I am not familiar with.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................We had a Ford\NH dealer who sold the belaruse line for 6 years or so. It's been about 6 years since he QUIT selling them as well. They are made with lots of IRON and very little quality . Parts are expensive , labor to work on them is time consuming , etc. I , would NOT, under ANY circumstances , Purchase one of those Red Demons. Others may have a different point of view. Personally, you can't go wrong by Buying a small Industrial type tractor like the Ford 340A. I had one for 9 years and it was a good machine. The small industrial tractors made by JD , Ford , Massey , etc. are all made with extra strong frames for heavy duty , idiot proof use. PLUS , All most ALL small industrial tractors come Standard with a Frontend Loader. Farm tractors....donot come standard with a FE loader. In addition , All small ind. tractors....Have a separate hydraulic PUMP that is DEDicated too the FE loader exclusively. This is a very important factor that most farm tractor Salemen WILL NOT divulge TOO you!!! It increases both Speed and Lifting capacity of the machine. And , the small ind. tractors are NOT relatively higher ($$) than the higher end farm mochines like JD and Ford\NH.
    ................Richey Bros. have auctions here in the DFW area every 3 months and they usually have a very excellent selection of small industrial tractors....fordy... :eek:

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've owned 2 Belarus tractors, never stripped a gear and they worked fine. My neighbor has had 2 for 30 years from new and they still go strong. He bought a third a few years ago. That said parts are expensive, labour can be hard to find and they are quick to loose value. Belarus designed tractors are built in Russia, Belarus, Poland, and few of the Ex CCCP "istan" countries and at one time were the worlds largest builder of tractors. They did import a few real dogs, the first synchro tranny (600, 605, 611) were troublesome. Today they are simply over priced as new because you can buy econ lines from the main line dealers and have real parts support. Zetor is made in the Czech republic and is a whole different ball game. Far superior to Belarus but still can't match NH JD or CIH for support but they use Carrero front wheel assist and trannys just like the big guys. Never owned one and likely won't simply because of the dealer support. The new kid in N America to watch in utility and large tractors is Valtra. They maintain a cheaper econo line and have the high tech lines as well. Hard to beat a Valtra drive line and the things are hand built. Made in Finland. You'd still want a few local dealers before you bought one.