Anyone Know Anything About CORRIENTE Cattle

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by chrisl, Apr 5, 2006.

1. chrisl

chrisl Well-Known Member

Been noticing in local classified paper, several folks selling corriente hiefers, cows, and bulls for $475. Hiefers and Cows are bred. If anyone out there has any experiance to share I would be thankful.

Chris

2. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

Most are used for roping, not reallycattle you would want for meat or milk.

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've dealt with them and longhorns quite extensively and I find the corrientes to be quite high strung and flighty. The meat is good but you'll find that there is little resale value on the cattle because of the lenght of time to finish a steer. If you have little experience with cattle and aren't completely set up for handling cattle, you'll find these aren't the best choice for someone who's learning as they go. They are agressively maternal and you should be aware that you need a certain amount of experience before you calve out something like that.

4. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I did a search on them. Noticed they were a heritage breed... didn't realize they were as flighty as noted here. $475 seems too cheap too. (did you notice the thread about calf prices?)

If you are looking for a heritage breed (for the disease resistance and ease of calving) you might want to look into the Scottish Highlands. We recently bought 5 heifers (hopefully 2 bred the other 3 were too young) and a friend bought a Highland bull calf. They are nice and docile and not bad to work either. They too are longer to finish a steer though. (but, once you get past the first one, you'll have the same steers finishing as other breeds)

Pat