Anyone keeping Barbados?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by RipVanArkie, Jan 10, 2007.

1. RipVanArkie

RipVanArkie The Rusty Ewe

Hello, I'm in Arkansas and I'm looking for other folks who are raising Barbados sheep in this region.

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

We live south of Yellville (about mid way between Harrison and Mountain Home), and have mostly American Blackbelly (with horns) and Katahdin. (we've bought both American Blackbelly and Katahdin ewes, and the flock ram will be American Blackbelly one year, Katahdin (or tried Katahdin / Dorper one year) the other. (American Blackbelly are just like Barbados except they have horns)

Pat

3. RipVanArkie

RipVanArkie The Rusty Ewe

Hello Pat,

MIne have horns as well... BarbadosXBlackbelly. Two of my ewes are BarbadosXKatadhin.
    I go hiking up in your area several times a year, Leatherwood Wilderness Area, it's beautiful country for sure.

4. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

umm, Barbados is NOT Barbados Blackbelly. Some Barbados are VERY white!!

Lots of historical info in the various "barbados" breeds at

www.critterhaven.biz

There is also a Yahoo Barbados Blackbelly group (BB and AB only) that you can join through that site. Many members in that group have more than one breed of hair sheep, so some comparitive discussion does take place. Then, there is a Barbados Blackbelly consortium that is very strict about membership-- but that is how we are trying to work together to enhance ALL of our Breeding programs. The BBSAI has a nice Breeder directory and map available to peruse, and you need not be a member to make use of it. That is why the Columbus Zoo contacted me-- my proximity to them, and their desire for some younger ewes. I referred them to someone I knew had afew for potential sale. Many of us BB breeders are only letting ewes go to other dedicated BB breeders, so that we do not lose genetic diversity.. I keep on the lookout for possible ewes that have been absorbed by way of auctions, private treaty, etc....