Anyone jacket their sheep?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Maura, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd like to jacket the sheep this year. Tired of fleece full of seeds, sticks, trees, etc. I'd also like the black fleece to stay black.

Should I start with a muslin jacket and change to heavier fabric when they outgrow the first one?

2. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Yes, I cover the sheep from birth to keep their fleece black and clean for show.
    The covers I use are made from an umbrella/canopy material so the wool can breathe and not get wool rot. I go through 6-8 sizes for each one the first year... be sure to order plenty and of each size as they grow fast.

3. lisarichards

lisarichards Well-Known Member

Where do you buy your jackets? I want to cover my critters during the winter when they are eating hay.

4. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Could I stitch them up on my serger too? Wouldn't it be an easy pattern? And would muslin be good? What would we need to use for the winter?

Many thanks!!

5. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

My little woolies are getting full of weedy stuff and their wool is turning brown on the ends. Am also very interested in sheep clothing. They were so uncomfortable when the heat went to 90 and up--would the PJ's make them even more uncomfortable? Anyone know where to get patterns or have a good source for the sheep blankets? Mine are Welsh Mountain, so aren't very big.

6. Maura

I have Black Welsh Mountain too! :dance: :dance:

This year's lambs are crossed with my Rambouilet X Corriedale. The fleece is sooo much nicer. I'm washing some right now.

Back to topic, I'd really like a pattern. I believe I've seen patterns, but where?

7. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

Does anyone have one? Maybe we need to buy one and copy it....hmmmmm....eBay? I will go look around and see what I find! :goodjob:

8. Maura

I think we can make our own patterns.

Measure sheep around middle, from one side to the other, omitting the belly. Measure sheep from base of neck to base of tail.

This is your beginning unit, presumably a rectangle. You will then need two pieces that will be attached to the front. These pieces will cover the chest, in front. You could probably cut it in one piece once you figure out the measurements. I think you would need a band to go around each rear leg.

I have to go catch a sheep now.