Anyone interested in being part of a homesteading community?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Jacob Alexander, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Jacob Alexander

Jacob Alexander New Member

About a year and a half ago my family bought and moved to a secluded piece of land in NH. There was no electric even close to the homestead and no water except from a pond. We brought our rv to live in as we build and we put in a well. We started with generator power and added solar. Soon we will be putting up a wind turbine. We added chickens, ducks and goats. We started a 1/4 acre garden and we will soon expand it. We hope to be at least 80% self sufficient in the next year. The best part is it wasn't nearly as difficult of a transition as I thought it would be but it has been incredibly rewarding.

I am looking for individuals and families to share my family's 50 acre homestead with as it grows. Is anyone interested in joining an off grid homesteading community in New Hampshire? Bring your tiny house, RV or come build your own cabin.
    We are looking for people with all levels of homesteading skills. A lot of what we hope to do is help people to make the transition to off grid homesteading. There is quite a learning curve and many new homesteaders struggle and sometimes quit. If people come and submerse themselves into a working homestead they can learn quicker and avoid many of the difficulties they would face on their own. Send me a message if you are interested Discussing the possibilities.

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

How are you planning to do it?
    Does each approved "family" get so much land to use as their homestead--like rent it? How much?
    How will they till the land?
    Or Do you plan to have a big community garden?
    How do you work out how each user out this garden pulls their fair share?
    Who does the canning?
    Who buys the hogs, feed, etc?
    Sure some will work hard, but some want?? How do you deal with the free-loaders?
    How do you dispose of waste?
    How is water collected/used?

That will be enough questions for right now.

MoBookworm1957 likes this.

3. Jacob Alexander

Jacob Alexander New Member

All good questions. It is a lease situation. The amount of space will depend on how close to resources each person wants to be. The more remote will mean more space. Some people may prefer to be close to the resources like wells and solar/wind power and doesn't care about having much space. The gardening will primarily be done as a community and split evenly between the number of people that put in the work. We have a tractor to till large areas but we also want to work on implementing permaculture design as it will reduce the time to prep and plant the garden. Most will also have plenty of space to grow their own garden with the special items they like that don't make it into the community garden. Who does which jobs like canning will be determined by the group and based on individuals skills. Free loaders will be compelled to leave and hard workers will be invited to stay long term if they like.
    For water we have 3 wells and 2 ponds and 5 or 6 pumps of different kinds.
    As far as animals and feed; I currently pay for all of it but others can pitch in for animals of their choosing. Eventually we plan to produce enough products on the homestead to sell and pay for animals, feed and anything else needed for the homestead as well as provide income for everyone in the community.

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I wish You the Very best!!! Do keep us informed if you will.

5. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

I'm good...Good luck.
    My homestead is paid for, and something to pass on to my children

6. Bellyman

Bellyman Well-Known Member

I'm more of a mind to want to be a part of a community such as what you might think of as a small farming community with everyone owning their own place.

That said, I wish you all the best and will enjoy hearing how things go. It may be the ideal situation for some. Good luck!

MoBookworm1957 and hunter63 like this.
  7. dademoss

dademoss Well-Known Member

Lease? I'm out.

ShannonR and MoBookworm1957 like this.
  8. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Have you thought of running an add in Mother Earth magazine.? How do you handle folks that need to hold a job for income? They would have less time then full time workers. How are winters? What type of work is done then. Do you need money to live in your group or is enough produced on the land to support everyone without income?

MoBookworm1957 and hunter63 like this.
  9. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Every once in a while posts like this pop up here .... reminds me of the old communes with a twist.
    Ends up that most homesteaders or newbe's want to put their labor into something they own.

10. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Problem with Mother Earth News these days......many readers, seem to be more affluent practical dearmers,... educated, hobby farmer, horse people, that run their internet business to support the Homestead. and spend a lot to maintain that lice style.

Not saying there is anything wrong with that....but the affluent homesteader generally don't want to work for someone else, and be that isolated.

As a reader of MEN's owner on all issues up to last year.....when my overextended subscription ran out .......I no longer find them all the interesting.

POint being MEN may not be your best market.

11. MoBookworm1957

MoBookworm1957 Well-Known Member Supporter

I wish you well.
    But many have tried to do what you say you want to do.
    Just as many have failed.
    That being said I wish you Good Luck.
    Keep us posted.

hunter63 likes this.