Anyone in the Perry County area of TN?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Dec 12, 2003.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

We are looking at a farm in the area and although it is a good price and has owner financing it would be nice to have the ability to find a job if we moved there... :p

Linden is the county seat I believe.

Nashville is 65 miles east and Memphis is 140 miles west so BIG cities are close enough if needed.

Would just like some info on the area by the folks who live in the area.

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I am about 40 miles north of Linden. Typical Western TN rural county. Still mostly agriculture/forestry. Located next to TN River, with a bit of water commerce. Fairly significant population of Amish/Menonites. Jackson is the nearest larger community and it is where likely you would be referred for health care, etc. Some industry, but not much. You would likely have to bring in a needed skill. Most of the TN river counties have an unemployment rate of 8-10%; however, that is somewhat deceiving in that isn't a strong work ethic. The correction center in Oney (north of Clarksville) is usually hiring security personnel. Fairly decent pay for the area if you can stand it. Minimum security prison which looks much like a campus.

You can contact the Chamber of Commerce there and be sent an information packet about the area.

Ken S. in WC TN

3. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Before the tornado destroyed the house, my husband lived in the Jackson area-a small community called Denmark. We both loved it there!! He commuted 72 miles into Memphis but liked the Jackson/Denmark area much better than the big city.
    The people are very friendly, helpful and for the year and a half he lived there he never had any crime or problems even though he traveled extensively for 10-12 days at a time and left the house empty. After the tornado came through neighbors were helping neighbors and the police even stopped by to check on him and brought him coffee and breakfast.
    Racially & politically diverse with a good mix of young & old residents.
    If we had the ability right now, we'd buy some land in that area!! That's how much I liked it there! :D
    Rural living at it's best IMO, with plenty of services available in Jackson.

I know you're in the restaurant field and Jackson has plenty. Some really nice ones too, not just the regular chains/fast food places.
    I don't know how far your place would be but you might want to check Jackson for food service/chef jobs.

Here's the site for the county demographics.
    http://www.state.tn.us/tacir/CountyProfile/PerryProfile.htm

Edited for more information:

4. suthin1

suthin1 New Member

I have a place in Flatwoods Tennessee which is 12 miles south of Linden. I would reccomend the area highly IF, you can import an income stream with you or you can live simply and cheaply on very little. Forestry related work will be most of what you will find, a buddy of mine, a banker, says that everyone who wants a job has one, and I suppose he is right. Be careful, it is easy to pay too much for property down there because it appears to be so cheap, especially on owner financing plans, (I offer owner financing, so trust me on this one) most of the banks will have low loan to value ratios especially on raw land. Be careful of how the banks will structure the notes, 10 year with call at 5 etc, etc. Yep there are plenty of quiet times and a good life style down there, I was raised abut forty miles from the area. If you are still looking you might try Two River Realty and Auction, Ben Gasparo is ok. OR try Jack Ochs at 1st Choice Realty out of Hohenwald, Jack is a prince, low key and very helpful, and sooooo creative on financing, but so is Ben. Lets see, what else might I tell you. Well you could look up Lowell Morgan, no phone Amish, always has some land for sale, and will tell you the truth, and is very creative. Lowell is located in the south end of Perry County near Flatwoods. And if all else fails you can contact me and I will sell you my fourteen acres. Good Luck, and if you do move down there let me know, I'll see to it that you all get catfish at the Rusty Fish Hook. gary and annie