Anyone in the OV Blizzard?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FrankTheTank, Dec 23, 2004.

1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Pics? Stories? Inches???

heres my story for today and tomorrow and the next day...pic from today!
    [​IMG]

2. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

It's obviously a sat. pic but not exactly where. I see rivers and such but can't make out any identifying landmarks. OV? What is that? If it has anything to do with cold, then it's OV here tonight with colder temps tomorrow. Instead of the 60 watt bulb under the chicken's water I will be going to 100.

3. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

I'm in southern Illinois, this snow is fun!

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Photo appears to be the lake effect snow off of Lake Michigan.

We have 1-3" of snowy ice here in West-central, TN. The kind which crunches when you walk on it. Area is basically shut down. Most businesses were going to be closed on Friday anyway, so, for most, it will just be an early start to Christmas weekend. Was forecasted to go below 10 degrees tonight and tomorrow night. That is C-O-L-D for here.

Ken Scharabok

5. ibcnya

ibcnya Well-Known Member

Ken, I didn't realize ya had some stuff on the ground down there. Very strange here in Iowa not to have the white s--t on the ground this time of year. I've been pulling some 30-40 ft long black locust trees with the truck (traction is at it's best with frozen ground and no snow)that were ringed and left to die by the previous owner yrs ago for whatever reason. But the dang cold is making a short day out of my work. I'm going to build me a cordwood sauna next summer with'em.

6. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

OV is Ohio Valley for those of you living elsewhere.

Wind has been fierce the last few hours and temps are actually warm here (60 degrees!). Originally they called for highs of 40's F this AM. SO I guess we might get lucky and avoid the worst of it today. The wind is supposed to be bringing our portion of the rain/snow later this morning.

7. jst_country

jst_country Member

Been raining here in Lexington Ky. since about 1 oclock wendsday. Freezing rain right now. Temps are suppose to get down in the - thursday night.

8. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

We are south of Louisville, in the OV Blizzard. Probably 10" of layered snow and ice outside, with power outages both east and west of us. We are very thankful ours is still on this morning. Been praying it dosen't go out.

It was raining yesterday morning, then turned to snow and had 6" by noon. Then sleet for hours. Our 3 trucks are covered in ice. I let the BC's out this morning, and they jumped off the porch, onto about 10", and they didn't sink at all. They were jumping and running on top of the snow.

They have called off work for Steve in Louisville today and tomorrow. I have a pup to fly to Philly, dosen't look too good, maybe late Friday or Sat he can get there. Going up to 35* Sunday, so maybe some melting then, but we will have lots of ice to break this morning, and for the next couple days. :(

9. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Lake Superior at the top under the lake effect snow lines.

mikell

10. Dave in Ohio

Dave in Ohio Well-Known Member

Columbus here, about 4-5 inches where I'm at, rain/sleet/snow all coming down, Power outages in the area, water puddling and freezing everything covered in ice, go west of us and more snow, up to 19 inches someplaces, branches breaking from the weight and counties in snow emergencies. I have power now, and a fire in the fireplace, hot coffee and will make breakfast shortly. Good luck to all and stay warm.
    Dave

11. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'all,
    We have 14 inches of snow, and 20mph Winds
    in SWC Indiana.
    Roads are closed, It's hilly here.
    19 Countys, Emergency vehicles only.
    Just finished talking to my brother in Hamilton, OH.
    They have 24 inches on the ground.
    Police are ticketing even 4x4's.
    More snow than we have had all together
    in last 2 years.
    I'm going to stay in & stay warm.
    Y'all have a good-un

12. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Wow thats a great pic! You all are getting blasted pretty good, take care and keep those home fires burnin!

13. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

It's fairly standard weather for this time of year. N.W. Ontario Cold!
    -33C this morning. We only have about 3" of snow on the ground with no snowfall in the immediate forecast. I can't imagine a brown christmas in this area. It' only happened once that I know of, but on christmas day it snowed to make up for it.

14. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    Well winter finally came to southern Montana. It is minus 11 degrees right now and the wind kicked up overnight, so I guess there's a pretty good windchill to deal with. We got about 3" of snow yesterday, which is significant for this arid region. Glad I plugged in the car engine heater and turned on the heat lamp in my chicken coop last night...

15. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

The past few weeks have been solid frzn water bucket cold and a few small snow showers............but

Its 40 degrees and raining.....a yucky brown Christmas in MAine. I could go for a real storm...havent had to shovel or plow at all so far. My kids need some snow to play in.....I'm sure eventually this wih will come under the category "Be careful what you wish for"

Merry Christmas everyone!!!! Youre all invited over for "grown-up" eggnog, and if you cant make it I'll have your share ;) None for Santa though he's driving...

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Hey, cool photo! I can see Red Lake, Leech Lake, and Mille Lacs Lake....all in Minnesota way over on the left side of the photo!

We're makin' ice now! A brisk -17F this morning with a -30F widchill....dontcha just love it.

Think I'll drive the pickup out on the lake this weekend.

17. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Wow, that is a cool photo! I'm in it , just south of the tip of Lake Superior. Not much snow here but BRRRR!!! -18 degrees. I'm sure Cabin won't be the only one driving on ice this weekend!

18. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Yup...the picture is mostly WI...ON the right is Lake Michigan.....the top is Lake Superior...with some NW winds, you can see the cold air picking up some moisture to sprinkle on the Lake Effect areas of WI. Just south of "COLD" is La Crosse, WI...that white snakey thing is, yes, the MISSISSIPPI River...all frozen and yes I'll be out on Sunday or Saturday, whenever it gets warmer!!!! Acrosse the Miss, just left of "COLD" is South MN, and below that would be the wonderful state of IOWA...Most of the White on the image is snow...

Thats an awesome snowstorm in the OV...i just read one place might end up with 30inches...incredible...late starts, but now Winter is starting on all cylinders.

This image is from NASA...they take a whole bunch everyday and there nice to look @ if the sky is clear...like yesterday and today...

19. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

The storm was parked right over our area last night, Seneca Co., OH. Wind is supposed to be 30-40 mph later this afternoon and tonight. Toledo weather station says the sun is going to come out today, but it is still snowing here. Everyone is home and a pot of soup is on the woodstove. Electric is still on, (obviously); we are prepared should it go out. Time to put up the Christmas tree. Don't know about making it to midnight Mass tomorrow. Depends on the wind!

20. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

North Central WV: the temp has dropped about 20 degrees to about 42 F. The airport reports 30 MPH winds, and the rain has changed to snow, which isn't sticking of course due to temp/wet ground. Isn't it wierd how it can be snowing and the ground temp isn't at freezing yet?

We had some serious rain for a while and the wind advisory os for another hour or two. Lots of water on the roadways.

Stay safe everyone.