Anyone in the Ouachita Mtns in AR?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CJ, Oct 26, 2005.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, I know I've been a pest with all my questions on various areas to buy land.... :stars:
    I found a 91 acre property down in the Ouachita Mtns, in Montgomery county AR, that I've flipped over. I posted a few pictures on our website here. Does anyone on this board live in this area that could offer any feedback?

I'm a little concerned that the elevation of this land, at 800 feet, might be quite a bit hotter than our farm we sold in MO, which was at 1300 feet.

There's privately owned land all around the property, but enough woods as a barrier you can't see it. The entire, gorgeous view is of US Forest Service mountains. Pros/cons to that?

You guys have been so helpful with feedback, please keep it coming :)

2. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

"I'm a little concerned that the elevation of this land, at 800 feet, might be quite a bit hotter than our farm we sold in MO, which was at 1300 feet."

Beautiful property! How much an acre? It does get a little hot in
    Arkansas but not much more than Missouri. I doubt if 500' drop in
    elevation will make it too hot. Hey, its still in the mountains ;-)

james

3. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

CJ - pretty pictures! I'll be watching your post with interest as we are also thinking about the Ouachita mountains in Arkansas. It DOES look like a beautiful area - and the prices seem reasonable compared to comparable property in Texas. Lots of creeks and springs too, which makes it nice.

Hip_Shot_Hanna

4. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I can't think right off hand where Montgomery is, but we've been out that way looking at land, specifically around Mena, Arkansas. Anyway, one thing that struck me about the Ouachita Mtns, is that while it is pretty country out that way, it isn't like the Ozark Mtns. It seemed more like a lot of rolling hills and farmlands. My husband loves it out that way; I think I prefer the more steeper inclines of the Ozarks where you can hear those lovely rushing springs.

One thing that is nice about the towns in that area is that they have a small, quaint country feel. We stopped in at one country store that sold a lot of amish canned goods. I believe there are menonites or amish in the area. Least that's what I've been told by one guy that lives in Mena.

5. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Beautiful land, and not quite so open as to make one agorophobic, lol. I'm with you on wanting steep slopes, but my 13.6 acres had ONE area level enough, within 2 inches in 32 feet, to put a slab on. The rest gets to at least 45 degrees VERY quickly. Compromise, check to see if there's any county zoning, and if it's a go, do it.

6. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

CJ, for decades I've toured Arkansas on a motorcycle (the last six years on a Honda Valkyrie). The Quachita Mountains are BEAUTIFUL! Further north, into the Ozarks, the roads get a LOT more challenging. If I picked north vs south, for a place to live, I'd pick the Quachita Mountains!

The weather there in the heat of the summer is far less intimidating that it is down here in Texas, which is one reason I ride North into Arkansas in the summer. LOL.... You definitely have four seasons in that section of Arkansas...a bit of snow now and then, but not the brutal heat of Texas in the summer.

I'm jealous...excellent location!

7. CJ

That's funny to hear a comparison about the Ouachita's being more rolliing, versus the steepness of the Ozarks, which I grew up in, because I said the same thing to Jim, only the Ouachita's highest point is actually taller than the Ozarks. THe Ouachita's definately seem more "refined" or something... LOL

They have an entirely different look and feel... I'm going to spend more time driving around in them in the next few weeks. Fall's a great time to compare, because I've always felt there was no place in the world like the Ozarks in Fall, my favorite season.

Like southern MO, I'm finding very, very little land on the market, unless it's smaller tracts of 40 acres or less. Or 400 or more :). This property sits between Mena and Hot Springs, about halfway between Hwy 270 and Hwy 70. It's listed at $189k, which puts it at $2000 per acre... too much! It's remote, (heck my cell phone doesn't work out there lol) and while I know the following are considered improvements, I wish they hadn't added them. Brand new steel frame pole building, insulated, wired and plumbed, new well and new 1000 gallon septic. Right smack dab in the middle of the pasture where one would raise livestock and need a barn to be.

We're going back on Saturday without the realtor to take another look (hubby hasn't seen it yet), but if he likes it as much as I do, we'd probably offer $150k and pretty much stay there. They may laugh, they may need to sell.

I meant to add, while I've been driving all over S MO and N AR lately, I have noticed that a lot of creeks in MO are bone dry, and most have water in AR. I've been here all year, back and forth between the 2 states; both experienced heavy spring rains and a horribly hot and dry summer.

8. greenacresusa

greenacresusa Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting post to us. We're looking at land in the same two areas (Ouachita mountains and the Ozarks). Most of what we have checked on so far is in the $1000 - $2000 an acre range for 40+ acres. Wish we could find more of the $500 - $1000 acre that are in decent shape. We too are looking for a year round creek. Best of luck in your search.

9. CJ

In the Ozark Mountains, the Boston range are probably the prettiest, along the areas of Kingston AR and Boxley, Ponca and Jasper is breathtaking country. The roads are pretty hairy, with a lot of hairpin turns. It takes awhile to get anywhere :).

On the yahoo Ozarks Homestead list, someone mentioned that the area around Calico Rock (south on Hwy 5 from MO) has land in the sub $1000 an acre price, but I've not found any.

AR land seems to run a bit higher in most areas, however you can find land that hasn't been timbered, at least not recently, say 30 or 40 years. I'm finding that pretty rare in the counties of MO we like.

If I can get an appointment tomorrow, I just found 120 acres for $130k over near the OK border in the Ouachita's. Now that's more the price range we'd like. I'd really like to see this as a comparison to the 91 acres for $189k. I will take pictures if they can show me the place tomorrow, and post them.

We're also comparing the small towns in the areas. Back on farm in MO, while the land was really gorgeous, the town of Mansfield was positively dismal. The realtor in Mt. Ida was kind enough to drive me all over the county, it was neater and more clean than what I'm used to seeing in MO. Some areas seem to enjoy wallowing in their poverty, while others take pride in the same and go out of their way to make it as nice as they can afford.

Anyway, I'll share what I find over in that area. AR taxes seem pretty close to MO's, but just a tad higher overall in most things. Fuel is more expensive in AR, about $.20 a gallon higher... or at least it is right now. I pay attention going back and forth to the prices.

There's a lot more pine trees in AR, and I love pines! They make the landscape so pretty in the winter. There's very few left in MO, however the Ozark mtns in AR have quite a few. The Ouachita's are covered in them.

Follow up:
    I just got off the phone with the realtor in Waldron. The piece that I'd like to see is under contract, but he said it looks likely to fall through, due to financing. He said it's written that if another offer comes through, the current party has 3 days to come through with financing, so I'm going to go see it anyway, as I still want to see that area.

An interesting note; the broker sounded like an older gentleman, and he mentioned larger tracts were really hard to find there, because the Luations (I have no idea how to spell that...) have created a large Buddhist community in Fort Smith and have bought up all the land in the area. He did not sound happy about this. It bears checking into to see if this stems from problems, or just a general unhappiness having outsiders in the area.

10. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I dont know squat about this state but that land sure is perty! I would sell DH's right arm to have a little creek and a pond on our place LOL (not relly, but it sure would be nice!) I did not read how much this land is though others thought the price was good. What the heck land is getting more expensive every single day- so move quickly if possible.

11. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

A famous comedian (deceased) was said to have come from Mt. Ida (Mt. Idy). Without googling, can anyone else remember who it was?

BTW - I love the Ouachita Mountains. My father's side of the family was from that area, and I spent many happy times in my youth hunting, fishing, and traipsing around the woods there. I'm still drawn to them today.

12. ArkansasLady

ArkansasLady Well-Known Member Supporter

I live in that part of Arkansas over in Pike County and there is a member on here who lives in Mt Idy...lol it is beautiful country, yeah we get hot here..but I still love my state.

~C~

13. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

I am a sitting right now on the lower sunst side of Booneville mountain aheading to Greenwood Arkansas...We have lived here 20 years and love it...I just wish we had bought more land when we first came here...LAnd here then was $300 -$500 an acre...But we waited and it ain't that no more...
    So many folks have found out about the low taxes and thwe cheaper way of life here that numerous people have bought up alot of land...some are splitting it up and selling it off like that...MAy folks are building commerical chickens houses ...which we are not particular happy about...but hey if they got the cash it is there land...
    Both ranges of mountains are beautiful....I wanted alittle farther north than Mena mainly due to more snowfall...which it is not that much anymore...Our winters have become mild compared to what they use to be...and the summers have become alot hotter also...almost like Texas summers...I am from Texas...
    I will warn you about the water...The land is very rocky and it is hard to dig a well and costly...the water you find will probably be very irony and may contain Sulpher...so when buying land ask about the water and the availablity of rural water....Our well is undrinkable but we use to water the garden with...which I hate because I sure would like to have our own water sorce...
    I love the Kingston-Ozone area but we own our place and have got to old and physically unable to start pioneering again...I sure would like it though...a few months back there was a post from a lady selling a place in Kingston...called alittle slice of heaven...I often wonder if she ever sold it??/
    There are food and medicine taxes here...there is homestead exemption for the elderly and disabled...
    MY advice is that if you want to buy in Arkansas do it soon...Land prices are going no where but up...and it is getting harder to find...
    Just my two cents...But I do love it here...Might like Kingston better..lol...MissKItty :D

14. ArkansasLady

ArkansasLady Well-Known Member Supporter

hey ms kitty, I was born in booneville and most of my family lives there....I that this southwest part of the of the state is as pretty as it gets...land is still fairly reasonable here...

15. CJ

I'm guessing (and I'm probably wrong!) that a well is going to be somewhat less expensive in the Ouachita area than the Ozarks? We had to go nearly 600' on our Mansfield place, the 91 acres that I looked at has a new well at 185', with a 30' standing depth. I guess it's going to depend on how high up you are. Water seems to be funny, our well water was great, my mom's is horrible, and only about an hour apart as the crow flies.

Seems like all the snow that falls in AR lands up around Eureka Springs :). That's a beautiful area too, but I've not seen land there in a LONG time under $2k an acre.

Ozone is a pretty area, but it's a looooonnnnnggg way from anywhere on those windy roads.

16. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

OK OK Enough already!

Iffin we keep telling everyone about Arkansas beauty we will have a bunch og people movin here and too many people spoil a place fast. LOL
    (Not you CJ and Family as you are our kind of folk anyway.) :)

We looked in that area before we settled here (Branch) and everything we saw was great.

We are a little partical to this area ya understand. :sing:

Booneville area and the surrounding Mtns are beautiful so I am suggesting ya might look in that area. :sing:

Have a great day and good luck, just remember the well costs.

17. MissKitty

MissKitty Mrs. no longer OldGrouch.

Me and MAtt were just atalking the other day how we like Branch...We like small towns and wide open spaces...Booneville has gotten too big and Greenwood is out of site...I think a MAtt and a MissKitty would fit right into Branch...as in LongBranch on Gunsoke...lol...A great play on words...MissKitty

18. FoxfireWoman

FoxfireWoman Questing for Simplicity

CJ

Do you have a link for the Ozarks Homestead group? I'd love to check it out.

When Ilooked for land, I looked in both areas and ended up in the Ozarks. Good neighbors and few restrictions. Having been here on my side of the mountain for 14 years now, I wouldn't live anywhere else.

FW

19. CJ

20. FoxfireWoman

FoxfireWoman Questing for Simplicity

Thanks CJ! I'm awaiting membership approval now.

BTW, I love your blog.

FW