Anyone in Southern Missouri

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by littlebit ranch, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Hi-
    Anyone out there living in southern Missouri? Our family is looking at the possibility or moving to the area and would love to talk with folks about their likes and dislikes.

2. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

We live about 10 miles south of the southern Missiouri border in Northern Arkansas...my dislikes are ticks, ticks, and more ticks, plus the lack of fresh seafood, other then catfish, oh, and moving rocks out of proposed garden areas. My likes are great people, low property taxes, four distinct seasons, long growing seasons, the scenery, recreational things to do, and having a place to call home.

Good luck to you,
    Marlene

3. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

You forgot ticks!!!! Oh yeah seed ticks are the worst..........and chiggers don't forget the chiggers.

4. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Well-Known Member

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We live in south central Mo and we love it here. Yeah, some things aren't great like the low wages,rocks,ticks,long commutes,chiggers,humid summers but we have great neighbors,low low taxes, thousands of acres to ride the ponies,rivers for fishing and floating,beautiful scenery and they more than compensate!!! A few storms most winters but no one expects you to go anywhere when it is nasty...mountains too dangerous. First winter we went to town after a storm and people were surprized we made it...heck,we came from MI, what was a little snow?! Soon learned to stay home and hibernate,too! You won't get rich down here but prices are lower,most everyone loves to dicker...always a-tradin'. People are more self-sufficeint and also,it seems,more content...not so much keeping up with the Jones. McMansions haven't hit our area yet! DEE

6. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

We love our little place here in Mo. We came from South Florida several years ago knowing that it was not a good place to raise children, so much violence and horror around all the time. Our area is rapidly becoming suburbanized (ponders her words) The assessed valuations for teh property ( which apparent;y hasn't been done for a while ) are a significant amount more than they were when we bought the place but all in all we are happy here for now. We have a great little homestead on 3 acres with a variety of livestock all within a half an hours drive to a decent sized town ( Springfield)
    We originally bought property a good bit East of here ( in Texas county) but it's rural location made any hope of finding work very difficult and the lack of electricity ( we coudl get phone there but not electricity... go figure ) made it rather daunting to start out on with no family near and having small children.
    Good luck in your search... I hope you find your own little patch of sunshine .

Suzyhomemaker

7. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

Any one near Sikeston who can receive and hold a tractor loader (bucket only) at your place until I can come up for it?? HOpefully, it would not be on your place more than a month...

Just trying to cobble together some transport.

Appreciate your help.

8. shellbug

shellbug Well-Known Member

in Ripley County here - love the trees, the hills, the land - have a little trouble with our neighbors, though, they cut down our 2 yr orchard when we went to dinner one night - not a tree left standing - :mad:
    yeah, some of the people are not so nice
    jobs are scarce or for low wages or both, but if your land is paid for and you don't need to buy brand new cars to be happy - it is quite affordable

9. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

We live in S.W. MO around Forsyth. We've only lived here a few months, but I can tell you that there are some great folks around here.
    My likes...fishing is great, and close by (in any direction). lots of wildlife. lots of history. Spring brings redbud, dogwood, and wild flowers. It's quiet.

Some of my dislikes however are...rocks, rocks, and rocks...any digging is hard work. The ticks, chiggers and fleas seem to take over if you let them.
    The rest of my dislikes may be just around my area, but...The feed stores don't really carry much (and around here are filthier than a mechanics shop, which means having to travel at least 20 to 40 miles for a good farm and ranch store.) Hunting season brings lots of stupid people that can't/won't read a "private property, No hunting " sign :flame: People seem to have no problem dumping old cars, refridgerators, oil drums, etc. right in the middle of the woods, or on somebody elses property. Really low wages.

10. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I live in Ripley Co.

You have hills, rocks, trees, flat land, insects,Current River, high humidity, and pretty sun sets.

There is work but it isn't high pay.

I like it here, have been elsewhere, but always come back, and now plan on staying until I die.

11. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

SE Missouri here. Texas County. The three main crops are hay, cattle, and rocks. :rolleyes: Oh, and ticks. Think "guineas" for bug control.

You could make some great fieldstone fences, fireplaces, etc. The materials are free - they grow on your land! Acreage reasonably priced, low taxes.

DH and I moved here from Michigan in 2003. He died in 2004. I decided to stay because we'd found the little farm of our dreams - together. There are wonderful neighbors, nice little towns 11 miles away, friendly people, and a great growing season if you have a deep well that doesn't run dry during a drought! The nearby towns are small, but have all you need (if you don't need alot).

If it's really dry in July & August, you probably won't be putting up any fence during those months. The ground is as hard as cement when it's this dry.

Winters fairly mild and we do get snow from time to time. Ice conditions can be more bothersome than snow, however. Hilly, winding roads.

Low wages, so you'd better not need a good-paying job. I think there are more good points than bad. Beautiful area. Great scenery where ever you go. Good luck in your search.

NeHi Mama

12. nehimama

Forgot to mention:

When we lived on our farm in Michigan, there were all KINDS of zoning regs, blight ordinances, etc, for the slightest thing. For field equipment not parked in a garage or barn of some sort, for having a semi box without road gear that we used as an extra sheep shelter, for putting up our farm sign without a permit, for having weeds grow too high. It was driving us crazy.

So, when we spoke with the realtors here, we asked questions about the legality of putting, say, a mobile home on our property, or a semi trailer for storage. The realtor looked at us as if we were nuts and said "It's your property. Do whatever you want with it." We liked that response very much!

NeHi Mama

13. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

I live in Newton county, the extreme sw corner. moved here about 8 or 9 years ago from iowa. i LOVE it.

dont know what your intensions are, but mine were to buy my own place in the woods and raise a family. Work in this area is available. yes, ticks are an issue. the weather is great, and the most folks are more than willing to lend a hand.

Any questions in particular , let me know, i will help the best i can!

14. nehimama

Yes, Littlebit. Think "guineas" for tick control. At the same time think "hawks, fox, and coyotes" for guinea control - LOL! The guineas & chickens will eat alot of bugs, but the predators will eat alot of fowl.

So. . . . .if you pen your fowl to keep them safe from the predators, they aren't out doing bug patrol. Kind of a Catch-22. :(

NeHi Mama

15. bainco2000

bainco2000 New Member

I would like to get info on the thomasville ga area

16. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL, sorry, I dont know anything about Thomasville, Georgia, but as far as South Missouri-- I've lived in Howell Co. for 67 years now, (born in Iowa) and ditto to all the above. Hubby drove trucks for over 20 years, he says this is the best he's seen out of 48 and Canada.
    Sure, there are drawbacks--but if everyone loved where they were-noone would ever move. Depends on your determination.
    Jobs are scarce, rocks are plentiful, some neighbors arent the best,-but anything can be worked around.

17. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Oregon County, just north of of the Arkansas border about 25 miles.

I will have a home and about 100 acres for sale there in a year. I bought it from a family that needed to stay in it while building their new home.

18. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

Polk Count here...Just North of Springfield...Lake country.
    Love it here. Bought 40 acres and added house and barn, the only permit I had to get was for the septic tank since I was within 1/4 mile of the Corps of Engineers lake. Yes, ticks are a concern, but you soon learn how to deal with them. And rocks are plentiful. After 4 years my garden is pretty much rock free of any that are larger than a hen egg. Taxes are LOW, just like I like them.
    Best of luck!!

19. tikaani

tikaani Well-Known Member

I get a chuckle when the first thing I hear about is rocks. for those gardening invest in a breaker bar for your garden. I've dug 5 foot holes for post using a breaker bar in those same rock infested hills.

20. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Just do raised beds for the garden. Eliminates the problem.