Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the correct forum for this post. I would like to hear from anyone living in Perry County, Ohio or surrounding areas. I currently live in the suburbs of Franklin County, Ohio but saw a place in Perry County that looks interesting.

One issue is no mineral rights transfer. The current owner does not have them. The realtor states fracking is not an issue and I should not fear someone destroying our little 2 acres.

Thank you for any help or direction I have not found anything on google.

·
Premium Member
27,122 Posts
Do you know who owns the mineral rights?
These are the laws regarding reclaiming abandoned mineral rights, as long as it's not coal.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5301.56
Although personally I would walk away from it. Too many entities telling you what you can do with your property.
The realtor will tell you anything so they can make their sale. They told me livestock was legal here and there was no zoning in this area.

In that area, no fracking isn't an issue but long wall coal mining is:
http://workplace.dispatch.com/conte.../more-coal-mining-in-national-forest-okd.html
Couldn't find an update to that story

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know who owns the mineral rights?
These are the laws regarding reclaiming abandoned mineral rights, as long as it's not coal.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5301.56
Although personally I would walk away from it. Too many entities telling you what you can do with your property.
The realtor will tell you anything so they can make their sale. They told me livestock was legal here and there was no zoning in this area.

In that area, no fracking isn't an issue but long wall coal mining is:
http://workplace.dispatch.com/conte.../more-coal-mining-in-national-forest-okd.html
Couldn't find an update to that story
Thank you..I read the article. It is so disheartening. I feel as if every time I find something there are issues such as these. At my age I only want to move one last time.

Thank you so much

·
1/2 bubble off plumb
8,811 Posts
We are finding the same thing as ufo chris mentioned, mineral rights rarely go with the property anymore. We just learned that DH's grandparents are owners on mineral rights on land no one alive remembers anyone owning....they've been dead over 20 yrs, must have bought them a good 60-70 yrs ago OR they were transferred to them from the previous generation (which is what we think it the case.....so that would mean more then 70 yrs ago the mineral rights were separated from the soil). Story is a bit sketchy right now...it's new news to all of the family.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I'm not sure that ufo_chris is correct. I see plenty of places for sale in East Central (Carroll County) area with mineral rights.

For many potential buyers the problem is that the mineral rights are much more valuable than the surface rights. I've seen offer for mineral rights (specifically oil & gas) as high as $15k per acre if you add back in $3k-$4k per acre for pasture land you are talking almost $20k per acre.

Because many of the mineral right owners are only interested in the potential royalties and much of the land is already leased, one approach (assuming the land seller still owns the mineral rights) is to try and work a deal where mineral rights transfer but royalties are assigned to the seller. This gives a little more control and less uncertainty to the buyer (regarding impact to the surface rights) but the seller gets the money from the royalties.

Mike

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The realtor is pro drilling for sure. But he kept insisting they could only access my property if it is "reasonable"...i.e. they cannot tear down the barn, house, etc. He said a well pad is 20 acres so not to worry about my possible 26.

I know we have no control over the government, but one concern was the opening of Wayne National Forest for fracking and drilling. The property backs to the forest.

The current owners do not have the rights...it would need to be traced to discover who does.

I just want to live in peace without worrying about my water or soil being contaminated, traffic all hours of the day and night, etc.

Every time I look at the photos I am ready to jump in my car to see the place. Good thing our roads are iced over today.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Even if you own the mineral rights and do not lease you can still be forced pooled into a unit. Even if you own the mineral rights and do not lease you will still have to deal with traffic if there is O&G activity in your area.

Personally, I would be more concerned about coal mining activity in the area.

Mike

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm not sure that ufo_chris is correct. I see plenty of places for sale in East Central (Carroll County) area with mineral rights.

For many potential buyers the problem is that the mineral rights are much more valuable than the surface rights. I've seen offer for mineral rights (specifically oil & gas) as high as $15k per acre if you add back in $3k-$4k per acre for pasture land you are talking almost $20k per acre.

Because many of the mineral right owners are only interested in the potential royalties and much of the land is already leased, one approach (assuming the land seller still owns the mineral rights) is to try and work a deal where mineral rights transfer but royalties are assigned to the seller. This gives a little more control and less uncertainty to the buyer (regarding impact to the surface rights) but the seller gets the money from the royalties.

Mike
Mike,i just posted what I have been told.
Also I check out auctions sometimes in the area (col.co.) and every time I look ,the mineral rights are not transferred, so I figured they must have been right.
I also know somebody that sold a house last year that was only on around 1 acre and they made sure they kept the mineral rights for themselves.
There are a lot less drilling permits around here now so it might swing the other way again but I've also heard people say it's supposed to come back, they just found better areas to do first.
Again....just things i heard...

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Mike,i just posted what I have been told.
Also I check out auctions sometimes in the area (col.co.) and every time I look ,the mineral rights are not transferred, so I figured they must have been right.
I also know somebody that sold a house last year that was only on around 1 acre and they made sure they kept the mineral rights for themselves.
There are a lot less drilling permits around here now so it might swing the other way again but I've also heard people say it's supposed to come back, they just found better areas to do first.
Again....just things i heard...
If it's a house with one acre (and no adjacent land retained by the owner), retaining the mineral rights out of hand is kind of silly. The amount of money anticipated from royalties is not that much money. The person retaining the mineral rights would have to pay property taxes (at least in Ohio) and may never get a penny from O&G production. For a larger parcel it might make sense. I prefer to keep it together (farm+mineral rights) and in the family.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts