Anyone in Ohio who has a few extra hives sitting around not put together?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by seedspreader, Dec 19, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I want to get into bees, but as with anything, I am slow and deliberate about it. I would like to get a couple hives, and cost IS a factor for me. I have a friend who is experienced that attends church with me. He actually got rid of all his hives a few years ago, but still has all the processing equipment etc. So I was hoping to find someone who had a big stack of hives that they ordered and just haven't used all of them and might be interested in selling two or so of them.

2. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

ZYG,
    I don't have the info here at home, but bump this thread back to the front page tommorrow to remind me, if it has fallen back and I will give you a guy who will sell a complete hive with frames and all for about 55.00
    All you will need is the bees.

3. seedspreader

Where is it shipped from?

4. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

REEL'S BEE SUPPLY
    200 BEE GUM RD.
    Marion, N.C. 28752

828-738-3017 Harlan

828-738-4636 Anthony

828-317-1526
    Very good people to do business with

EX> complete hive...55.00
    Hive body & 10 frames...18.00
    Medium super, frames, wire foundation...25.00

5. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

If that does not work out, let me know. I may know of someone else around Lima.

6. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Bob,

If you are interested I have a (Dead) hive that consists of bottom board, a deep, 2 mediums, inner cover and outer cover. The operative word is FREE! This is one of a number of hives that I had purchased a few years back. I didn't like the homemade boxes but they would certainly allow you to get started for just the labor of cleaning them out. There's probably been mice nesting in there, etc.

Let me know.

Mike

P.S. This is located at our home in Strongsville, not down at the farm

7. seedspreader

Mike, that is certainly generous of you, and I would love to take you up on your offer. It would be after the new year before I could get up to get it probably. You know how the holidays are. Will you be spending the holidays down at the farm?

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Bob before you order bees you might try and get A hive that has bees and do A split and buy A few queens in may or june for Ohio. Try and get A 2 story hive full of brood and bees that way you are Ahead. I do know of A few sources for Nucs in your area.That meaning A 2 hr. drive..

9. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

No worries Bob,

We can work out the details after the holidays or if you are bored next week and want to drive up to strongsville you can pick it up then (I'm kinda sorta working from home even though I'm taking those as vacation days.). I might drive down to the farm and /or tuscawaras county (there's some model cabins over by Sugar Creek I want to look at). If you are around I might be able to drop it off.

I'll PM you with my phone number.

Mike