anyone in NW AZ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bbbuddy, Mar 19, 2004.

1. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

hi all!
    Anyone here "making it work" in northern Arizona? Seems like the water table is way too low for a well (+1200 feet from what I read) so we would have to do alot of water hauling and/or rainwater harvesting...

Anyone here doing this? Or do you know of an area in northern AZ, either side of highway 40 that has a higher water table? Without the high land prices? ..haha..

We got TOTALLY burned out in the California wildfires...had 5 acres in the mountains. We had 13 horses there (boarded some), got out the horses, dogs and cats, but most of my rabbits, all chickens and all pigeons died, because we weren't allowed back in to get them before it burned. The ducks all survived, because they had a nice pond to hide in.

Lost all belongings including all the stuff I had bought since 9/11 for self sufficiency (EXCEPT that I grabbed Carla Emory's Encyclopedia of Country Living, my Bible, guns, and one wedding picture!)
    Anyway, we don't really have the heart to go back...it will never be the same, and the memories of what it USED to be are too hard.

I am trying to look at it as an opportunity to move on, start over. Trouble is, we didn't have insurance (for reasons to complicated to go into here), thus we are looking for less expensive land. Of course our present land is now worth MUCH less....
    Arizona - On the plus side...ALOT fewer people, more land and elbow room...downside is - hubby has 4 years more he needs to work, so would be big time commuting. He commutes alot here in So Cal anyway...

thanks for your input!
    maddy

p.s. I would like to be able to plant fruit trees, have a vegetable garden, and pasture for the horses, maybe raise some hay for them too...can't see how without more water than is there...unless we put in a huge rainfed pond to collect water for irrigating.
    We plan on building a strawbale house and barn.

2. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Land is fairly cheap in the northern one-third of AZ. The western top 1/6 has water, but deep at about 1000-1400'. The eastern top 1/6 has good water at about 300' (solar pumps work fine). The land off a paved road 2-4 miles will run maybe 25-50K for 40 acres depending if you have power. The bad news is the top one-half of the eastern 1/6 is Indian land.

Look around Snowflake east to St., Johns and south to Show Low. (Pine tree land around Show Low is $75K per acre.)There are lots of good remote land in that area for the $25-50K. Visit the area and select a national Realtor as there are some shady people in the land business. Not a lot of homesteaders who grow crops, but some goats, cows and sheep. Ideal solar location with 10-20 inches of rainfall. There is plenty of construction work within 50 miles.

3. bbbuddy

Hi Explorer! where in Az are you? Do you know of any place in NW az with wells at 200 to 300 feet? There is a company selling "ranchettes" that says people on their lands have wells at those depths...but since all other data for nw az says 1200 is more likely, I was wondering about possible scam...
    thanks, maddy

4. Ask to talk to those people with wells at 200-300 feet. :):) Another thing to consider is phone access, incidently. Cel doesn't work in many of those areas, and you probably won't have land lines. Qwest sucks.

You might also check the Hidden Valley area out, south of Phoenix. Wells are deep -- 600-1000 feet, but most people do well shares and split the well between six to eight households. Land values seem to be running about 11,000 acre with water and electric, rough guesstimate, which isn't bad for commuting distance to Phoenix. (One hour to the airport.)

(In theory you can get phone out here too, but waits of a couple of years for a line aren't unusual. Cel works in some areas, not others.)

Irrigated land -- Cental AZ Project -- is available in the area, but a bit more pricy. Not out of sight compared to California, but pricy. I've seen five bare acres available not too long ago for $69K, no well for household water.

Small scale gardening is possible with a well -- tomatoes do notably well in the soils out here. Soils are pure sand, I haven't been able to get fruit trees established because I can't keep the root system wet enough. Trying again with a lemon tree this year ... citrus, table grapes, melons, alfalfa, barley, peaches, are all grown commercially out here or have been in the past.

Some people recycle grey water for gardens. Most of the wells are limited flow, though, and wouldn't be able to support a pasture. BUT it's possible to find irrigated land for pasture. OTOH, hay is reasonable in price -- I just bought a few bales for my goats and paid $6-something a 100 pound bale for excellent alfalfa.

Definitely horse country out here, too. :)

Leva

5. bbbuddy

Ah, I don't care about having a phone line. One of the things we have done after the fire is get 2 way satellite (Starband) so we will have email and instant messenging...occassional cell calls too. All the communication i need!

EEK!

Good hay price! :) I am paying $9.75/110 pound bales...NOTdelivered...we definately want to stay further north, closer to hwy 40...clincher will be water...

maddy