Anyone in Northern California?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wesimkins, Apr 18, 2006.

1. wesimkins

wesimkins Active Member

If anyone has acreage in northern california I would be interested in your likes/dislikes about your area.

thanks!!

2. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Well I guess it depends on where you draw the line dividing north and south......Northern Ca. encompasses a whole lot of different environments.....coastal to desert.......what are you looking for in a place......yes, I live in N. Ca.

3. wesimkins

wesimkins Active Member

I am familiar with the area east of sacramento. I like that its hot in the summer, cold in the winter...there are defined seasons, unlike southern california. Sometimes snow in the winter. On the other hand....bieber/susanville seem to be very cheap..I think its the upper part of the state. Where are you?

4. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Susanville is high desert if that's your thing.....remember there is always a reason that land is cheap...

Our home is in Trinity Co. near Weaverville but right now I'm living in the central valley a bit north of Sacramento. If you like 'hot' in the summer most anywhere, except right on the coast, will fit that bill in California!

5. Wolf Flower

Wolf Flower Married, not dead! Supporter

Is one acre considered "acreage"? Cause that's about all the acreage I could afford! But I've lived in Northern California most of my life and it really is a beautiful place to be. I live on the valley floor about 90 miles north of Sacramento. Winters are mild (this year it's been very wet), summers are hot hot hot and dry. 100+ degree temps are not uncommon. But we don't really have water issues, so you can run sprinklers/irrigation to keep your place green while the rest of the countryside turns brown.

As you probably know, the Sacramento valley is fairly famous for rice, fruit and nut crops. The property I just bought is in the middle of an immense almond orchard.

Sierra Nevadas are just to the east of me, if I get a hankering for snow. Mt. Lassen is about 2 hours away. To the West about 2-3 hours are the Coast Range and the Trinity alps, and then a couple more hours is the ocean.

California is interesting, because we have almost every type of topography that exists. Forest, desert, ocean, plains, alpine... I think the only thing we don't have is tropical rainforest and swampland (although it's rained so much this year that you could make an argument for it).

If there is a dislike to California, it's the price of land these days. There are still some areas where it's affordable, but if you want a lot of acreage it's getting harder and harder to find. I was extremely fortunate to have found one acre, with a fixer-upper on it, for $340K (and everyone said "Wow, that's not bad at all!).

6. cpeyus

cpeyus Well-Known Member

I, too, have almost always lived in No. California. I'm in the foothills, about 70 miles southeast of Sacramento. We definitely get snow! In fact, I woke up to falling snow two days ago...We're at 3600' elevation, this year we got a total of about 3-1/2' of snow, just under 3' on ground at the most. It is the end of May before I can get my garden in. Summer will give us 100+ temps, even up here :( Land is not cheap here, either. We're about 20 miles from "town," although there are a couple gas stations & grocery stores "upcountry" - higher priced, of course.

Oh, where I live is a little over an hour from Sacramento, and I can be in the Bay Area in about 3-3-1/2 hrs...6-6-1/2 hrs to Burbank

You can look here for county info - www.amadorcountychamber.com It will give you links for Real Estate & economic & all sorts of other info...

Good luck!

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I will be back up there really soon,looking at more property,Whiskey Creek to the coast.

BooBoo

8. wesimkins

wesimkins Active Member

I just found some "reasonable" property in fiddletown? Is this familiar? This is amador county.

9. HiouchiDump

HiouchiDump Well-Known Member

I'm in Del Norte county (part of the year). Grew up in Susanville in Lassen county.

There's still nice land available for a reasonable price in most of the far northern counties. I really love Del Norte county - there's no place I would rather live, even with all the BS you have to accept as a Californian.

Lassen county was a bit dry for me.

10. wheeezil

wheeezil Well-Known Member

heres a link i put on your other post www.investnland.com maybe bearkillers around he lives up there