Anyone in Canada?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tngirl, Aug 27, 2004.

1. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

I was just wondering, what is the weather ( winter and summer, particularly ) like in Canada (any part)?

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm in Alberta and the climate can be pretty severe, summers can be hot, probably into the 90's with abrupt changes. Spring and fall are pretty moderate but winter is cold, we can and do see -40, blizzards can last a couple days and cold snaps can last weeks with little relief for livestock. In my part of the the country, we have chinooks and the temperature can rise and drop by 40 degrees within hours, they can last for days or hours. Chinooks are great for humans but tough on livestock. You can literally see your animals humped up and cold and an hour or two later, they are panting from the abrupt change in weather. It's tough country but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We can get very cold but not for more than a week at a time and we usually get much milder winters. N NY would be very comparable. This summer has been cool, and regular with rain, normally we're a bit hotter and drier. Very few tornados, (1 severe one every 6 or 7 years in the entire province) and we're in a band of relative clam with stormy weather north and south of us. Temperature in winter will range (now lets see if I remember temps in f!!) from 40 to-40 (rare) averaging around 28. Summer from 50's (rare) to over 100 averaging 75. I am fully converted to celcius for temps so that may be off a bit. Real summer is June to mid Aug, Winter is Jan to March.

4. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

We're in southern Alberta and, like wr, see extremes in weather -- sometimes in the same day, often in the same week. This year has been especially wet -- so everything is green and lush, which makes a change from other years. Normally by this time, everything is brown or gold and dry. Property is quite expensive here, but there is LOTS of work.

I've also lived for extended periods in Saskatchewan, BC, and Ontario and spent major time in most of the other provinces. My favorite is northern BC coastal, and my least favorite was...well, you couldn't drag me kicking and screaming back to Saskatchewan. I've told my DH that if he ever gets transferred back there, he'll be looking for a new job or a new wife, it's his choice. I know there are some people who love it there, I just couldn't take the constant wind and the insularity of the people.

Ontario is great -- but very crowded, unless you go WAAY north. My family is from the Muskoka area (about two hours north of Toronto) and I grew up there. I love visiting the area, but it's very expensive to live there, and as tourism is the major industry, it's full of people. It can get very humid in Ontario, and the mosquitoes and blackflies in the summer are sometimes quite bad. Ontario has some of the most beautiful scenery on earth, though, IMHO.

Hope this answers some of your questions,

Tracy